Implications of the current secuirity scare.

OldGimmer

(I apologise if this topic has already been raised, but I haven't found any recent postings that really appear to be relevant, apart from some light-hearted comments on the High Wycombe Wood search)

Last weekend I was out trying to become FTF for a local cache Greenhead Park which was (now archived) positioned in a busy part of the local park.

Despite trying to act in a non-suspicious way I was very aware that a few people seemed to give me more than a passing glance. It struck me that in the current security situation a geocacher placing, or retreiving, a cache could raise suspicion and, possibly, subsequent police action. I, for one, would not like that to happen to me. :o

Any thoughts? :D

Edited by OldGimmer

As long as your caching activities are not near a airport or on a transatlantic crossing i can't see you making yourself anymore suspicious looking than you already do.

On the Other hand your Paranoid thoughts might make you stand out more....Is that a siren you hear?

If this is a big concern to you just do cches out in the woods.

As long as your caching activities are not near a airport or on a transatlantic crossing i can't see you making yourself anymore suspicious looking than you already do.

On the Other hand your Paranoid thoughts might make you stand out more....Is that a siren you hear?

Judging by the effort that the police are putting ito their search at High Wycombe, the woods don't seem to be a good idea.

I don't think I am being paranoid, but I think you have to admit that someone using a strange (that is to most muggles) electronic device and poking around in obscure locations, as is the case for most caches, can appear suspicious to some people. Normally they would probably ignore these activities, but as things are at the moment they "may" decide that it is not a bad idea to notify the authorities.

In my experience the more obvious you are the easier it is to get away with things. (for example my work van was raided at a very busy roundabout in belfast while me and 2 others where standing 15ft away working. guy got out of a car and stole 2 phones from the dashboard)

so put on a high vis jacket and a clip board under your arm and i reckon you'll be fine, just have a few answer ready for any people who ask what you're doing. like i am expecting the new growth on the trees in the area for a nation wide survey. or you are looking for a survey point.

Judging by the effort that the police are putting ito their search at High Wycombe, the woods don't seem to be a good idea.

I don't think I am being paranoid, but I think you have to admit that someone using a strange (that is to most muggles) electronic device and poking around in obscure locations, as is the case for most caches, can appear suspicious to some people. Normally they would probably ignore these activities, but as things are at the moment they "may" decide that it is not a bad idea to notify the authorities.

And when 10 heavily armed police officers arrive, do exactly as they say, do not point your GPS at them, do not show them your box. Lay face down, put your hands behind your head and pray to your God that none of the nice police officers has a hair trigger! :)

It struck me that in the current security situation a geocacher placing, or retreiving, a cache could raise suspicion and, possibly, subsequent police action. I, for one, would not like that to happen to me. :)

Any thoughts? :)

I know that there are limits, but if there's any justification to your worries about minding your own business in a legal fashion in a public area, then it's time for all of us to emigrate to a more sensible part of the world. Good grief! :)

HH

In my experience the more obvious you are the easier it is to get away with things. (for example my work van was raided at a very busy roundabout in belfast while me and 2 others where standing 15ft away working. guy got out of a car and stole 2 phones from the dashboard)

so put on a high vis jacket and a clip board under your arm and i reckon you'll be fine, just have a few answer ready for any people who ask what you're doing. like i am expecting the new growth on the trees in the area for a nation wide survey. or you are looking for a survey point.

I used a 'Hi-Vis' yellow waistcoat to good effect when searching for a buried OS surface block at the side of a road. My mate (also wearing one) stopped the traffic while I walked across the road with a 100 metre surveyors tape measure and took a couple of measurements. The two or three cars waited quite patiently for the short time that we held them up and gave us a cheery wave when we'd done. Nice. :):)

I used a 'Hi-Vis' yellow waistcoat to good effect when searching for a buried OS surface block at the side of a road. My mate (also wearing one) stopped the traffic while I walked across the road with a 100 metre surveyors tape measure and took a couple of measurements. The two or three cars waited quite patiently for the short time that we held them up and gave us a cheery wave when we'd done. Nice. :):)

now thats what i'm talking about!

Are there any Caches in those woods near High Wycombe, and if so have they been muggled yet :)

First thing I did when I saw the news about the police searching the woods was to fire up MemoryMap and see if there were any caches in the woods... There weren't...

S

Oh please. If the police are searching in the woods it's because they have a specific reason to. (Conspiracy theorists might say "yes, John Reid told them to in order to keep the story in the news", but that doesn't change the point.)

The police probably dig up five or ten bodies in woods each year. They don't post people at the entrance to any clump of more then three trees checking that nobody is carrying a large sack in there.

OTOH, a fluo jacket, hard hat, and clipboard, are excellent cover when looking for urban micros. Does anyone know where I can borrow a gas company van too?

At first I was afraid.....But now I just go "in like Flint"...If a nice policeman or 2 should come up to you,then thats a bonus..More help to look for that cache me thinks. :anitongue: Or even go one better than the Hi-Vis jacket approach. Buy a policeman's uniform. :huh: ..Although I find the skirt a little cold in winter. :tired:

Oh please. If the police are searching in the woods it's because they have a specific reason to. (Conspiracy theorists might say "yes, John Reid told them to in order to keep the story in the news", but that doesn't change the point.)

Mmm bit cynical considering the latest news.

I have wondered about this; I have come across a fair few ammo cans where the notices on the outside were all but worn off - you have to ponder what plod might do searching a wood for potential munitions and finding that. I've also come across a cache within 200m of an army range red flag near to a sign saying don't touch suspicious objects (at least it stopped it getting muggled!).

Otherwise it's a fair comment and I'm sure the powers that be are aware of geocaching - but I would still be wary about lurking around certain areas at the moment......

Jack Aubrey and I had to abandon a search in Prague last week. It was a multi in a glen below the castle and the end point was close to a wall of a military area. We searched in vain (in fact we were on the wrong side of the glen as it transpired) but what really put an end to it was the edgy army chap with a machine gun standing on the path nearby, who clearly was wondering whether he should file a report of two suspicious looking characters. We beat a retreat before he became too edgy.

I think that there are some circumstances in which caution is advised. Luckily this was a couple of days before the terrorist alarm.

Last Friday I was looking for one of DP's new Number 6 caches when I found myself outside a building in the Parliamentary Estate and being overlooked by two security cameras. Working for the Government, and having seen what goes on on the other side of those cameras, I decided to beat a retreat rather than risk a one way trip to a small seaside village where everyone dresses in pastel shades!

It struck me that in the current security situation a geocacher placing, or retreiving, a cache could raise suspicion and, possibly, subsequent police action.

I hope I'm not being naive here but I think any cacher has enough evidence with them to validate their reason to be in a particular place at a particular time.

The only time you will arouse suspicion is when searching for the cache, but you will have a GPSr, printouts or PDA showing the coordinates of where you are and why you are there. I can't see even the most thorough Police/Security person detaining you for very long and unless the cache has been sited in a no go area then there will be no reason for "subsequent police action".

Just carry on caching as normal, don't let the current situation make you change the way you do things....or they win!!!

....snip some very good stuff so that I can ask an unrelated question :ph34r:

HH, any chance you can post a bigger picture of your avatar. It looks great but I'm struggling to see it properly at the current size :lol:

Try here: Bearkan Juys - I took the photo whilst setting the cache.

HH

There is a thread in "Geocaching Topics" I was just looking at about pictures taken while caching. This has to beat them all. It is gorgeous, well done.

Buy a policeman's uniform. ..Although I find the skirt a little cold in winter.

When did Policemen start wearing draughty skirts? :lol:

Most of the nice officers on my patch look like they should still be in skool, have never seen one in a skirt. :ph34r:

I am called Miss CurryKev during the dark hours!..weekends only of course! :D

....snip some very good stuff so that I can ask an unrelated question :lol:

HH, any chance you can post a bigger picture of your avatar. It looks great but I'm struggling to see it properly at the current size :D

HH

A Happy H indeed.What a superb photo. :D

Shall we start a photo thread..I won't as I'm scared to post a non topic thread. :ph34r:

Edited by currykev

Jack Aubrey and I had to abandon a search in Prague last week. It was a multi in a glen below the castle and the end point was close to a wall of a military area. We searched in vain (in fact we were on the wrong side of the glen as it transpired) but what really put an end to it was the edgy army chap with a machine gun standing on the path nearby, who clearly was wondering whether he should file a report of two suspicious looking characters. We beat a retreat before he became too edgy.

It's always a bad idea to place caches near a military facility. Whoever placed that one should be, er, shot.

Luckily this was a couple of days before the terrorist alarm.

That would be "the latest terrorist alarm". They will never cease. How will we know when the war on terror has been won? When 100.0000% of all Muslims (and other potentially disgruntled groups) in the entire world sign a bit of paper? (This doesn't mean I approve of the "war on terror" - in fact I don't at all - but whatever your view, if anyone can tell me what will constitute its end, I'd be most grateful.)

....snip some very good stuff so that I can ask an unrelated question :D

HH, any chance you can post a bigger picture of your avatar. It looks great but I'm struggling to see it properly at the current size :ph34r:

HH

That is indeed as wonderful a picture as I thought it was! It looks more like a painting than a photo.....how the hell did you tear yourself away from that scene :lol:

It's always a bad idea to place caches near a military facility. Whoever placed that one should be, er, shot.

Perhaps. This particular 'military facility' is bang next to Prague Castle and its winter gardesn, which are thronged with tourists - probably why we weren't arrested immediately. To be fair, there was a warning about being close to this area on the cache page, too.

Edited by Firth of Forth

Slightly off this topic, but can someone tell me how to include a photo in a post to the forum? I'm not that familiar with how forums work.

Thanks.

Lovely picture of the woods by the way.

>> First of all it needs to be online. You can upload to a number of free sites if you don't have your own webspace. Imageshack is one.

>> Get the url that it supplies you with for the image

>> Click on the image link when writing a new post image.gif

>> Insert the url from earlier and it does the hard work for you.

Depensing on how computer savvy you are Imageshack will give you the bb code for inputting the image using cut and paste.

Buy a policeman's uniform. ..Although I find the skirt a little cold in winter.

When did Policemen start wearing draughty skirts? :ph34r:

Most of the nice officers on my patch look like they should still be in skool, have never seen one in a skirt. :ph34r:

I am called Miss CurryKev during the dark hours!..weekends only of course! ;)

You must have very nice legs, liking skirts is one thing but I notice you are keen on "Micro's" :P:)