DCNR encourages geocaching in state parks with "Get Outdoors"

MissJenn

getoutdoorspalogo.gif

I went to French Creek State Park yesterday and picked up a brochure that said:

Welcome to PA. Now get out.

It seems that DCNR is encouraging geocaching in state parks with a new "Get Outdoors" program!

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/getoutdoorspa/

Clicking on the Find An Adventure link gives you a database where you can look for geocaching/educational events not listed in the geocaching.com calendar. Have a look.

These are non-commercial.

Examples:

08/26/2006 Find the Hidden Cache Lackawanna 6:30 p.m.

Discover the latest outdoor phenomenon, geocaching. Tim Eichner, Keystone College Adjunct Professor, will demonstrate the use of Global Positioning Systems (GPS) used in this hi-tech treasure hunt. Bring your own GPS or try one of the parks. Meet at entrance road to group camping.

08/27/2006 GPS-ing Canoe Creek 1:30 - 3:30pm

Bring your GPS to receive coordinates for points of interest that aren`t on our park maps. Choose among several trails to take and find out what lies ahead...Be dressed for off trail exploration. Get information from Education Center.

09/02/2006 Geo-caching Sinnemahoning 1:00 to 2:00 PM

Join William Daly, a member of Keystone Cachers, for a fun and informative presentation on the fast growing past time of geo-caching. Learn how to use a GPS unit to locate coordinates, any place on the planet! A limited number of GPS units will be available for use. Meet at the campground amphitheater.

In Western PA, there are some great examples of State Parks that encourage geocaching.

At Cook Forest State Park, one of the rangers is a geocacher and has hidden caches there. He did a television interview in uniform for a news story on geocaching, which is great publicity for our sport. And I believe that it's nearby Clear Creek State Park that printed up its own brochure to advertise the caching opportunities there.

Recently, the Presque Isle State Park staff teamed up with the committee that submitted a very strong bid for GeoWoodstock 5. Though our bid was not the winner, it was very encouraging to see DCNR throw all its resources into the geocachers' effort. We had secured *ALL* of the park's picnic, pavilion and kitchen facilities for the busy Memorial Day weekend.

Bump.

Join William Daly, a member of Keystone Cachers, for a fun and informative presentation on the fast growing past time of geo-caching. Learn how to use a GPS unit to locate coordinates, any place on the planet! A limited number of GPS units will be available for use. Meet at the campground amphitheater.

Bump:

10/20/2006 GPS Basics Parker Dam 5:00 p.m.

Want to learn how to get around, find places, and return with confidence? Are you also into technology? Meet the naturalist at the Environmental Education Classroom (EEC) for a lesson on the basics of Global Positioning Systems. Bring your own GPS (or borrow one of the park's limited number – first come, first served). Hopefully, you can find your way here for the program; we'll make sure getting home isn't a problem.

02/10/2007 Cache in the Snow! Geocaching in the Winter Bald Eagle 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Learn the basics of how to use a Global Positioning System unit. Program will focus on how it works, how to use it, and the basics to geocaching. GPS units will be provided for use during the session. Program will begin at the Environmental Learning Classroom for a lesson on GPS units and will continue outside with a hike to find our “cache in the snow!” Pre-registration is required by calling (814) 625-9369.

04/07/2007 Intro to GPS Little Pine 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

Are you interested in learning about the Global Positioning System? We will cover how the GPS system works, possible uses, advantages and limitations, and basic functions. All equipment will be provided. Meet at the visitor center, in the lower floor of the office building. Most of this program will be outdoors, so participants should dress for the weather.

05/04/2007 Homeschool Day: Get Outdoors! Bald Eagle 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

Students will experience various outdoor recreation activities during the day. Students will learn basic compass skills, learn how to use a GPS unit, learn how to build a fire, and try their hand at kayaking. The program will be held at Pavilion #6. Students should dress for the weather and active activities. For children ages 12 and older. Fee - $5. Pre-registration is required by calling (814) 625-9369 or email spreilly@state.pa.us

05/27/2007 Intro to GPS Little Pine 3:00 - 5:00 p.m.

Are you interested in learning about the Global Positioning System? We will cover how the GPS system works, possible uses, advantages and limitations, and basic functions. All equipment will be provided. Meet at the visitor center, in the lower floor of the office building. Most of this program will be outdoors, so participants should dress for the weather.

06/23/2007 Intro to GPS Little Pine 3:00 - 5:00 p.m.

the site was most interested. It's great seeing classes on this. I'm bummed that I didn't see Moraine State Park listed. Being a former Girl Scout adult trainer-how do you think one would go about teaching a class? I would imagine I'd have to contact the park ranger? there's 3 great state parks: McConnell's Mills, Moraine and Jennings near me. Moraine has the majority of caches though.

This past weekend I attended a "How to Use a GPS" seminar at Greenwood Furnace State Park. The manager of the park was giving the lecture and used Geocaching as a fun way to get outdoors. He had several day caches set up for people to find. The manager was a cacher himself and I will be heading out with him this week to place a cache in Greenwood Furnace.

His name is Dan Bickel (dbickel@state.pa.us) and he is the manager of:

Greenwood Furnace State Park

Whipple Dam State Park

Penn-Roosevelt State Park

He said getting caches approved through him would be as painless as possible.

GPS 101

04/19/2008, 10:00 - noon

Canoe Creek State Park, 12 miles east of Altoona

Bring your GPS or call the park to reserve a park GPS. Learn GPS basics then receive coordinates to go on a GPS challenge! For beginners to intermediate users. Program starts at Education center.

it's possible geocaching will be part of the Moraine SP Lake Arthur Regatta. I'm in charge of children's activities for the regatta-and it'll be part of their activities at some point! The person in charge of land is thinking about setting something up for adults. I've made good contacts with the park so someday could see a class taught at Moraine or McConnell's Mills! The park is getting GPS'rs so that'll make putting on a class easier. they should have them by the regatta.

I met with my local township parks administrator on Friday...not only is he a cacher, and one who gets VERY excited about the sport, he said he would like there to be at least one cache in every park in the township!

He also works with other people in his position and other agencies to get them to allow caches on their lands and even place some themselves. He also runs classes on Geocaching through the township every few months. He said he averages about 8 people per class.

I'm heading out the door in a few minutes to try to help him out with his goal :rolleyes:

getoutdoorspalogo.gif

I went to French Creek State Park yesterday and picked up a brochure that said:

Welcome to PA. Now get out.

It seems that DCNR is encouraging geocaching in state parks with a new "Get Outdoors" program!

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/getoutdoorspa/

Clicking on the Find An Adventure link gives you a database where you can look for geocaching/educational events not listed in the geocaching.com calendar. Have a look.

These are non-commercial.

Examples:

08/26/2006 Find the Hidden Cache Lackawanna 6:30 p.m.

Discover the latest outdoor phenomenon, geocaching. Tim Eichner, Keystone College Adjunct Professor, will demonstrate the use of Global Positioning Systems (GPS) used in this hi-tech treasure hunt. Bring your own GPS or try one of the parks. Meet at entrance road to group camping.

08/27/2006 GPS-ing Canoe Creek 1:30 - 3:30pm

Bring your GPS to receive coordinates for points of interest that aren`t on our park maps. Choose among several trails to take and find out what lies ahead...Be dressed for off trail exploration. Get information from Education Center.

Way Cool I think I might make the trip