Have You Ever Found A GPSr?

My neighbor found a Garmin that had been lost weeks earlier after the owner's canoe flipped. It floated downriver for several miles and passed over two dams. It was on a gravel covered bank and did show signs of abrasion on one part. With new batteries it worked fine. He showed it to me and I found the owner by driving to the "home" that was listed as a waypoint. Needless to say the owner was a bit surprised that he got it back.

I also knew where "Grandma's house" was and where else he had been using it.

When we met I introduced him to geocaching and he signed up. That was really special when he started to find my caches!! :P

Edited by Iowa Tom

I have lost my little Bluetooth PDA GPS. It was on my bike and I was doing some urban riding. I must of fell off somewhere along my 20km route. Retraced my steps two times, taking over 3 hours and was unable to find it. O well, gave me a reason to get a new one.

I was headed out to a cache one day and as I grabbed my pack from the back seat of the car I looked down and spotted a Magellen on the ground next to the car. I must have missed running over it by inches. My first thought was "SCORE!!!" but I immediatly realized it had to belong to another cacher.

My GPSr is like my buddy that goes with me on all these great trips, it would break my heart to loose it. I was glad I was able to find the owner and get it back to them.

I've killed one, (Magellan SporTrak Color), but never lost one. However, I was with someone who found a GPSr.

I've got a pretty intense, 2 stage night cache, The Etch-O-Sketch Night Cache, which involves about 3 miles of stomping through a nasty swamp. On August 20, 2005, a cacher lost her Rhino 110 during the second stage. I had made several daytime forays searching for it, but always came up empty handed. On February 25 2006, I accompanied a group making their attempt, and one of them found it. Looking at the water marks on the trees, I'd say it was submerged for at least 4 months, under about 2' of swamp water. The interior was dry as a bone!

Found one last year while out caching. There was no owner name in the area supplied in the GPS. I posted on the Michigan Geocaching forums - nothing. Posted a note on the cache where I found it - nothing. I then went through the photos of that cache, and found a photo of a child holding what looked like the same GPS. E-mailed them and they told me that they had in fact lost their GPS. They wanted me to drive it out to them. Told them I was working, and that was not possible, and I would mail it to them. "No! We need it for this weekend! Send it overnight delivery!". This was a Tuesday, and they live 40 miles from me, so that was pointless. I sent it second day delivery. They never offered to pay for the shipping, never acknowledged that they got it until I e-mailed them to check on it, and never thanked me.

Then a couple months ago, the same people marked one of my caches as 'should be archived' because they felt it had been inactive too long. If I happen to find their GPS again, I'm throwing it in a sewer.