Need Some Help Finding A Coin And Some Info About It?

Team JSAM

As far as I know there was no worldwide public sale of these coins. They were sold to local cachers in the bay area and were VERY inexpensive to buy. There were 1000 produced and they will have a black motorcycle icon.

I know who made them, but since I don't know if that person wants to be flooded with requests, I'll have to wait for that person to answer this thread themselves. Sorry.

Yes, this coin was made to honor the loss of a local cacher here in the Bay Area (CA). She died tragically in a motorcycle accident while returning home after a day of caching.

There was an outpouring of support on our local boards and a decision to make trackable coins that could travel cache to cache and to places where she would have liked to go, in her honor.

These were only sold locally. There were just over 1,000 made if I recall correctly and you can expect that most of them will end up activated and in caches. Not to say that some folks won't trade a few.

I wasn't involved in the productin of the coins, not did I ever have the honor of meeting her. In reading her logs, and the memories shared by others who DID, I feel like I missed out on knowing a gem of a person.

So....I think I've answered your question. I'll let the folks who handled this coin know abotu this thread to see if there are any coins left.

I drove the memorial geocoin effort with input from cachers in our local group; http://www.thegba.net. The intent was to get as many coins traveling as possible so that a large number of caches would have a motogrrl icon at any one time so the price was very low at only four bucks each. We thought getting a lot of coins out in the field would be a great way to memorialize Leigh Ann.

We produced 1100 black nickel coins plus a few samples. The coins are trackable and will have a custom motogrrl icon that she designed herself ( on the back side of the coin, left picture in OP ) and have an MG tracking prefix. There were six samples made: two of which went to the family, two more went to locals, one for me and the final one will be a FTF prize for a local cache that will complete Leigh Ann's chess puzzle series.

Many GBA members purchased them so I'm sure they will have some to trade but I believe most are just planning on releasing them so they do not sit in collections.

I do not plan to trade any of my coins as I am not collecting anymore so they will all be released as travelers.

A local cacher bought a large amount of coins to run a deal like the Sunshine Gang has done. You buy the coin but in order to not have the hassle of shipping the coins they'll be released locally and travel to you via cache <_< I'm sure they'll be posting soon since the cat is out of the bag now.

Here's a link to Leigh Ann's memorial page.

Edited by bullit

I have a few coming.

I will send off 1 coin each to the first two people to contact me requesting one.

I only ask that activate the coin and set it free once you get it.

Those wanting one for thier collection may be able to get one soon from the trading thread.

Wow, step away from the PC for a few minutes......

Coins will be sent to:

sillygirl & jrr

glennk721

Look for this coin in a cache near them soon!

THX kealia, Will set free in a local favorite cache near me, with a special memorial note with the coin, I'm also going to actiivate a coin and send back your way to set free. :shocked:

Glenn

Wow, step away from the PC for a few minutes......

Coins will be sent to:

sillygirl & jrr

glennk721

Look for this coin in a cache near them soon!

Many mahalos!

Already decided the coin will start its journey here we didn't know motogrrl, but we think she would approve.

Very cool! Good to see them spreading out around the world and traveling... she would definitely approve of the cache you have chosen <_<

We will be making a bunch of these available soon via something a bit like how Sunshine Gang offered their coins to be released. I will start a new thread when we work out the details.

--Marky

I will have to keep my eyes open for this. I am a distant relative (third cousin, or something like that) to at least some of the Husseys of the East Bay. One of my Great-Aunts was a Barbara Hussey; that's on my Dad's side. I have no idea if Leigh Ann was a relative, or not, but the odds seem good. Either way, I'd love to have one to send out, or be sent out for me.

As long as I'm on the subject, I'm also a great-nephew of Napoleon Byrne, whose house on Oxford Street in Berkeley was destroyed by fire about 20 years ago, and which was demolished (over family objections) in 1988. My middle name is "Byrne". Not sure why I'm rambling, except that I'm proud of the family heritage <_<

Just released the first 5 of my 50 coins this past weekend . 45 more to venture out into the world.

We'd love to release some of them on the South East coast for you, if you want. Or if anyone else has any they'd like to release on the east coast, let us know, we'd love to help.