Cache Idea

The cache descripion would say "bring a 9V battery with you" and have the coords for the first location.

At that location would be a very small plastic waterproof box with 2 screws sticking out of it. No markings other than a very small 1/4" X 1" window and a geocaching sticker on it. The 2 screws would not be sharp or anything like that, and they'd stick out about 1/16" or so.

No markings or directions on the box. Just a box with 2 screw heads sticking out, the same distance as the terminals on the 9V battery.

All screwholes for attaching the lid would be glued shut to prevent anyone from opening the box.

The cacher must figure out what to do with the battery. All they'd have to do is touch the battery to the 2 screws, acting as battery terminals.

Since there are no directions, there'd be 2 ways to hook up the battery.

Hook it up backwards and a buzzerr would go off. Nothing REAL loud. Just enough to scare you a little.

Hook it up correctly and the little window would show 1 (or more) digit(s) on the display.

You'd use that to determine where the next box is located.

The next box would be the same, but maybe have a set of terminals on all 4 sides. This time, connecting to the wrong set of terminals would make the box vibrate.

Each box would be similar, but not identical. Each box would have a right and wrong way of attaching the battery.

The reason I am using screws for the battery terminals is to prevent it from looking like a bomb with wires hanging out of it. And also, it would be waterproof that way.

The lids and screws holding the lid on would be glued shut.

The electronics would be minimal, and cheap, and easy to make.

Does anyone have any comments or ways to improve upon this? Or maybe know of a chache similar to this?

Or maybe know of a chache similar to this?

We had "Short Circuit" here in Australia that was quite similar (GCH0J8)

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about! Mine would use actual electronics projects boxes that have been camoed, and there would be no instructions on it at all.

Perhaps, instead of having two ways to connect the battery, you could use one phillips screw and one slotted screw.

Or how about using dozens of pairs of screws, and only one pair lights up the digits in the window?

Hooking the battery up to any of the other pairs would result in the generation of a noise which sounds like an amorous moose. You'd only have so much time to find the right pair before other amorous moose begin showing up.

You'd probably want to bump the difficulty up a level or two.

Edited by cache_test_dummies
It'll get destroyed by the local bomb squad, after a noncacher reports it as suspicious and they x-ray it....

I assume you forgot the smiley, since most caches are not examined by the constabulary.

Edited to mention that, upon x-ray, the fuzz will see that it is just a bit of ectronics, a tiny speaker, and a small LED display.

Edited by sbell111

Perhaps, instead of having two ways to connect the battery, you could use one phillips screw and one slotted screw.

Or how about using dozens of pairs of screws, and only one pair lights up the digits in the window?

Hooking the battery up to any of the other pairs would result in the generation of a noise which sounds like an amorous moose. You'd only have so much time to find the right pair before other amorous moose begin showing up.

A moose once bit my sister.

Really???

oh, and OT, I think it's a great idea...<furious scribbles>

:laughing::laughing:

I hate to say this but after having a few caches destroyed by frustrated cachers that just wanted the smile and did not enjoy the creativity that went in to making a creative to open cache container. I am now some what hesitant to make a cache that is very complex. I like it and enjoy the creativity of a good cache more then the hide but some folks well......

Sorry if this is some what cynical but it is true. If you try this then GOOD LUCK.

cheers

I hate to say this but after having a few caches destroyed by frustrated cachers that just wanted the smile and did not enjoy the creativity that went in to making a creative to open cache container. I am now some what hesitant to make a cache that is very complex. I like it and enjoy the creativity of a good cache more then the hide but some folks well......

Sorry if this is some what cynical but it is true. If you try this then GOOD LUCK.

cheers

They'd never get the final cache without figuring out how to operate each box though. The boxes do not contain the cache itself, but they DO contain the electronics required to get you on your way TO the cache.

By the way, I forgot to mention, this cache will be spread along a 20 mile trail. You'd start at one end of the trail and make your way to the other end. Bicycle friendly, dog friendly, and even kid friendly. I wouldn't expect to do it all in 1 day.

Edited by g0t0pless
... By the way, I forgot to mention, this cache will be spread along a 20 mile trail. You'd start at one end of the trail and make your way to the other end. Bicycle friendly, dog friendly, and even kid friendly. I wouldn't expect to do it all in 1 day.

The hypothetical cache just went on my hypothetical ignore list.

Good luck.

I've got a very similar idea in the works, should be ready to go next week (finally), but it is only two stages, the box with a scrolling dislpay, two digits at a time, and the final. The battery will be inside already, with a simple switch to activate/deactivate the display on the side.

Maybe I'll post a pic before I hide it :P

By the way, I forgot to mention, this cache will be spread along a 20 mile trail. You'd start at one end of the trail and make your way to the other end. Bicycle friendly, dog friendly, and even kid friendly. I wouldn't expect to do it all in 1 day.

Very cool cache idea, but I don't think you should stretch it over 20 miles unless you only want a handful of finders. Puzzle + Long Distance = Few Finds. It's a very cool concept, but it's not enough to draw people to such a lengthy trek. Try it over a mile and it'll fare better. JMO

Full of McJunk.....reminds me of my car!!

(<====== Remember I have 3 small children)

I think with the difficulty of the cache itself it will get few and quality visitors...that would not trade McJunk! Put it over a mile and that will further weed people out. Still not a park and grab.

I would not nor have we hunted caches that take multiple days....to involved.

Sounds like a clever idea. And keep the 20ish mile route. A long walk, true. But a pleasant bike ride on a bike path, rail trail, bike friendly roads, or similar terrain. A 40 mile trailway is being built in this neck of the woods (Delaware River Heritage Trail). I'm looking forward to caching along it, once it is finally complete.

Dont steal my idea.

D'oh! Then don't post it, or it will get stolen.

It's actually more fun to see your ideas show up here a year later after you implement them out in the field. Such as Wal-Mart Hunting department camouflage duct tape. I wrapped everything in it, and then they discovered where to get it a loooong time later.

I'd pay to watch THAT movie. :laughing:

I just might steal a variation on it...plain wooden box with two screws exposed. Touching the screws with the 9V opens it via a relay and internal latch. Hidden hinges, fitted door. Hmmmmm....

No song and dance needed except remembering to bring the $%#@*&! battery.