60csx Do Car Navigation?

Ok, I just got a Garmin 60CSx and to justify it my better half and make it more usable, what exactly do I need to purchase to make it into a first class car navigation system? Will it work as good as one of those built in units that come with certain new cars?

External antenna?

Car power jack, of course

Which maps?

What mounting system?

Anything else?

Thanks, this site is the best.

Ok, I just got a Garmin 60CSx and to justify it my better half and make it more usable, what exactly do I need to purchase to make it into a first class car navigation system? Will it work as good as one of those built in units that come with certain new cars?

External antenna?

Which maps?

What mounting system?

Anything else?

The only map that will route (navigate on road turn by turn) is Garmin's City Select or now City Navigator. You do not need an ext. antenna is my experience with the GPS60CSx. As for mounts, Garmin or RAM mount. :unsure:

also add a 1gig transflash card and a power cord.

1) Ram Mount

2) city navigator 8

3) transflash card 1Gig

4) 12v power adapter

External antenna?

Which maps?

What mounting system?

Anything else?

The only map that will route (navigate on road turn by turn) is Garmin's City Select or now City Navigator. You do not need an ext. antenna is my experience with the GPS60CSx. As for mounts, Garmin or RAM mount. :unsure:

I autoroute with my 60C all the time.

Car power jack is nice but not essential (although I would say essential for driving at night, since the backlight will only stay lit for more than 30 seconds or so with enternal power)

City Navigator ver. 8 Maps. If you get City Select version 7, Garmin should upgrade it to City Navigator version 8 for free.

I use a Ram Mount (windshield suction cup model). It is rock solid, but easy to move from one vehicle to another.

True, no voice prompts or touch screen, but it will beep at you to give you advanced warnings of upcoming turns.

I agree will all the above except I use the garmin bean bag mount. In some vehicals with deep dashes the windshield is too far away. Plus with the bean bag I have more options, dash or center console. You can get 1/2 of most states on the included 64meg minisd card. If you don't do much traveling it will be fine. A 1gig card will get you about 2/3rds of the US. For around 40$ it is worth it. If you travel a lot buy two and put half the US on one and half on the other. If money is an issue short term you could just place the gps in a cup holder and only buy CN8. I would not buy the garmin car power adapter. A generic USB phone charger for 7-10$ will work fine.

I agree will all the above except I use the garmin bean bag mount. In some vehicals with deep dashes the windshield is too far away. Plus with the bean bag I have more options, dash or center console. You can get 1/2 of most states on the included 64meg minisd card. If you don't do much traveling it will be fine. A 1gig card will get you about 2/3rds of the US. For around 40$ it is worth it. If you travel a lot buy two and put half the US on one and half on the other. If money is an issue short term you could just place the gps in a cup holder and only buy CN8. I would not buy the garmin car power adapter. A generic USB phone charger for 7-10$ will work fine.

difference on the car adapter is that it's mechanical connection is much stronger, which will help avoid breaking the USB connector due to stress that probably wasn't intended to be put on the USB connector in the unit. The power cord from the car adapter goes straight down the back of the unit. likely further minimizing the stress. so, it's a little pricey, but you can find it discounted, and to me, if it helps reduce the change that I'll break the usb connector on my new $400 device, I'll go for it... just an addt'l 2 cents.

Car power jack is nice but not essential (although I would say essential for driving at night, since the backlight will only stay lit for more than 30 seconds or so with enternal power)

The 60/76 series can be set so that the backlight stays on permanently even while you're running on the AAs. Mine is set to run in this mode all the time. I don't bother using an external power source since the AAs provide good enough battery life. If I were driving at night for long stretches, then I'd consider an external power source. As it is, the most I drive at night is 2 hr stretches and constant backlight with AAs isn't a problem at all in that scenario.

An external antenna wasn't needed with my 76C when doing street/hwy navigation. There were a few issues in downtown areas where tall buildings blocked sat signals. With the 60CSx, the only time I've lost a signal is when I drive though tunnels. Haven't lost signal lock downtown yet.

For a car mount, I use a RAM suction cup mount. I've been very happy with it. Works well on our van, car and Jeep windshields.

I use the CitySelect product for auto navigation. I've used the larger Street Pilot before. It's very nice but the 60/76 units get the job done. If I wanted a unit ONLY for auto navigation, then I'd look at a Street Pilot but for hiking/auto, the 60/76 is my choice for sure.

GeoBC

I have a 60csx with the UK Topo maps and it routes quite happily. Haven't tried it with the other roadmaps that Garmin produce. I would say for in car navigating the Tomtom is far superior and easier to use, with voice prompts, 3d navigation and touch screen. But if you have no alternative, the 60csx does work just fine :D

With an "x" version your really really dont need and external antenna. The only reason can see to get an external antenna would be if you were using it in a boat below deck (and then it might not be necessary)

Great advice and some really good suggestions so far....................

What about the extended antenna? Should it be a Garmin brand or is there a good aftermarket that is a better value? Also, should it go on my roof or is on the dash fine?????????????

difference on the car adapter is that it's mechanical connection is much stronger, which will help avoid breaking the USB connector due to stress that probably wasn't intended to be put on the USB connector in the unit. The power cord from the car adapter goes straight down the back of the unit. likely further minimizing the stress. so, it's a little pricey, but you can find it discounted, and to me, if it helps reduce the change that I'll break the usb connector on my new $400 device, I'll go for it... just an addt'l 2 cents.

This is something I've been pondering for a while.. i noticed that my charger cord for my Motorola Razr phone will power my 60 csx. My question is, is it safe to use it? (Other than the breaking the usb port), when I plug it in to my phone charger, does it just power the unit? Or will it try to charge the alkaline batteries that are in it?

I've used it for powering it at night a few times, and it doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it's always in the back of my mind that it might not seperate the battery power from the plug in power.

i noticed that my charger cord for my Motorola Razr phone will power my 60 csx. My question is, is it safe to use it? (Other than the breaking the usb port), when I plug it in to my phone charger, does it just power the unit? Or will it try to charge the alkaline batteries that are in it?

I checked to see if my NiMH batteries were being charged while the USB cord was plugged in. They don't seem to be getting any of the juice provided by the USB connection. I doubt that the alkaline batteries would be affected by even a non-Garmin USB cord (USB standards apply to all implementations).

What about the extended antenna? Should it be a Garmin brand or is there a good aftermarket that is a better value? Also, should it go on my roof or is on the dash fine?????????????

60csx works fine in both our cars (though one is a convertable, so not fair!) with no external antenna. The only time you should need an external antenna is if you have one of those heat reflective windscreens as they deflect the signal. In fact the other car has a heated front windscreen, which I did think might affect it, but it doesn't, nor the Tomtom.

Always best to get a signal before moving off though!

I'll have to do a test (maybe) since I have the Gilsson external that I used on my GPS V. I don't think it ever had 12 sats plus the WAAS sat while on top of my Honda Odyssey minivan (except maybe in Wyoming once), but the 60CSx had just that this morning inside the minivan on the freeway. It dropped a few each time we went under an overpass but had 'em all back within 5 seconds.

Edited by pdxmarathonman

You don't "need" an external. It does give better reception though, so it might be usefull if you are mapping. They are cheap regardless. Get a Gilsson from GPSGeek's eBay store.

If you are not mapping and just car navigating, there is no point as it will be more accurate than the width of the road,

i noticed that my charger cord for my Motorola Razr phone will power my 60 csx. My question is, is it safe to use it? (Other than the breaking the usb port), when I plug it in to my phone charger, does it just power the unit? Or will it try to charge the alkaline batteries that are in it?

I checked to see if my NiMH batteries were being charged while the USB cord was plugged in. They don't seem to be getting any of the juice provided by the USB connection. I doubt that the alkaline batteries would be affected by even a non-Garmin USB cord (USB standards apply to all implementations).

I'd be surprised if the USB power tried to charge the batts...if the design was that way, Garmin would be sure to make it well known, would be a valuable feature, so they'd make a big deal of it (IMHO).

I suppose you have to weight the advantages of an antenna to the disadvantages (extra stuff to hook up and carry around). If I was in a marginal area much of the time and thought an antenna would help I would use one. For me, until now, it would be extra hassle that I really havne't felt the need for in any way.

BTW, I actaully have been finding geocach's that last week. The 60csx walks me up to within 10 ft of them every time. The Magnetic compass on the GPS is very nice for this and now I'm glad I have it (before it was just a novalty).

You don't "need" an external. It does give better reception though, so it might be usefull if you are mapping. They are cheap regardless. Get a Gilsson from GPSGeek's eBay store.

If you are not mapping and just car navigating, there is no point as it will be more accurate than the width of the road,

Edited by kb9nvh

If you use the USB port in the car, the garmin mount will block the port. The plastic mount has a cutout for the standard power 4 pin and it also slides in and helps keep it secure. Between the lock on the mount and the plug, my 76csx has never bounced out on my snowmobile or truck. Bought the power cord (coiled!) on ebay, works great and also has a led power indicator and fuse on the plug.

<snip> ...

For a car mount, I use a RAM suction cup mount. I've been very happy with it. Works well on our van, car and Jeep windshields. ... <snip>

which RAM do you use (twist off or the other?) ... do you use it on the glass or the dash? just curious

I just use the regular suction cup (I think it's the 3" or 4" model). I don't think they had the twist-on one when I bought over a year ago. It'll ONLY work on the windshield unless your dash is perfectly smooth with no texture. The cool thing is that mounting to the windshield is still feasible when I have the windshield folded down on my Jeep.

And like other people have mentioned, I don't think you'll need an external antenna for car use, even if you're mapping trails. I've been mapping new 4x4 trails (hard-core trails in dense forests) and hiking trails and have yet to lose signal lock with my 60CSx. Buy the GPS first and try it for a while before deciding whether or not to get an external antenna. I bought a Gilsson for my 76C but haven't used it since getting my 60CSx. Even with the 76C, I didn't need the external antenna that often. FYI here's what I wrote about it:

http://bc4x4.com/quick/2005/gilsson-ant/

GeoBC

Well ... I have only had my GPSMAP 60csx (did I get that right) for less than a day ... and well ...

I think it's Good.

I got it with a suction cup mount and the city navagator 8 SW.

The driving directions are easy to use and not hard to follow ... sometimes you may need to backlight on in shadow however. I have most of south west california on the included 64MB card!

GO for it ... it's better to purchase what you want now then spend of somthing less then spend again for what you realy want.

Where are the tide information (did I overwrite that?)

60csx works fine in both our cars (though one is a convertable, so not fair!) with no external antenna. The only time you should need an external antenna is if you have one of those heat reflective windscreens as they deflect the signal. In fact the other car has a heated front windscreen, which I did think might affect it, but it doesn't, nor the Tomtom.

Always best to get a signal before moving off though!

I have been overseas in a couple of not-so-nice countries and have been able to use my 60csx inside armored landcruisers with absolutely no problem. Should work fine in a regualr car.