Questions For Reviewers Please

Hello,

I just have a few questions on/for reviewers of caches, just some stuff I was thinking about.

1) If a reviewer wants to place a cache, do they have to send it to another reviewer or can they approve it themselves?

2) Do caches generally get approved within the approx 36 hours of submitting? (assuming there is no problem or question)

3) How does one become a reviewer? (just curious )

4) Are there special recourses that a reviewer uses? Are they public knowledge type of things?

5) The guideline says - that a reviewer will check (with other things) for bad co-ordinates. This may sound dumb, but i was checking out the submission form and the form doesn't allow for mistyped ones.. so.. what would be an example of bad ones?

Oh, one other question re: GPSr's.

On an average, how long does a reciever take to "update" when it is sitting still? Is it better to turn off/on the GPSr to let it re-find itself?

I'm still new at this game, and got curious about it. I'm sure I had other questions, but I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for replies!

Boo

:laughing:

ah! one more I thought of:

If you are a reviewer, do you only review caches in your home state? Or, can you review in other states?

Thanks!

Edited by kittyboodles

Hello,

I just have a few questions on/for reviewers of caches, just some stuff I was thinking about.

1) If a reviewer wants to place a cache, do they have to send it to another reviewer or can they approve it themselves?

2) Do caches generally get approved within the approx 36 hours of submitting? (assuming there is no problem or question)

3) How does one become a reviewer? (just curious )

4) Are there special recourses that a reviewer uses? Are they public knowledge type of things?

5) The guideline says - that a reviewer will check (with other things) for bad co-ordinates. This may sound dumb, but i was checking out the submission form and the form doesn't allow for mistyped ones.. so.. what would be an example of bad ones?

Oh, one other question re: GPSr's.

On an average, how long does a reciever take to "update" when it is sitting still? Is it better to turn off/on the GPSr to let it re-find itself?

I'm still new at this game, and got curious about it. I'm sure I had other questions, but I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for replies!

Boo

:laughing:

ah! one more I thought of:

If you are a reviewer, do you only review caches in your home state? Or, can you review in other states?

Thanks!

My answers to your questions would be:

1) I usually ask someone else to look mine over first, it's not required but I feel better knowing someone else checked my cache for errors.

2) It's not 36 hours it is actually 2-3 days and that is first contact. It can take longer for your cache to be published if there are some issues to be worked out like land use permits.

3) Many threads on how one becomes a reviewer can be found by searching the forums but the most accurate answer is here.

4) The only special resource we use is the bricks we slam against our heads to make it easier to publish some ........ **edit** nevermind. We have a few extra maps and access archived logs on caches to see where puzzle caches & multi caches end. The new Additional Waypoints feature will be a great tool when everyone get's them added to their existing caches.

5) A good example is if your cache description talks about a lovely walk along a river front trail but your coordinates put the cache in the middle of a shopping complex with no body of water in sight. That is usually a case of transposed numbers.

As for the gps, it really depends on the model but in general it's best to leave it on. The longer it has to average the better your results will be. You can also pick it up move away from the cache a few hundred feet or so and then go back and take another set of readings. At least that's what I do. YMMV

Oh, and some reviewers only cover their home state, some cover many states and some states have more than one reviewer . We have a few that cover entire countries and one that covers pretty much any country that doesn't have it's own reviewer.

Edited by Team Misguided

<snip> As for the gps, it really depends on the model but in general it's best to leave it on. The longer it has to average the better your results will be. <snip>

I realize you were probably giving a simplified answer to help out a noobie. But Maggies AVERAGE all the time. Garmins generally NEVER do unless you specifically invoke that option, but ONLY while marking a waypoint. So that really is not the answer to the question.

So another simplified (but more complete) answer is:

One type of information your GPS receives is Almanac Data (course orbital parameters for all Satellites). Almanac data is not very precise and is considered valid for up to several months. So even if you shut down your GPS for an Hour, a Day, a Week, or a Month - your Almanac would still be valid.

BUT - Your GPS also receives Ephemeris Data (orbital and clock correction for each Satellite) which by comparison is very precise and is necessary for accurate positioning calculations. This data is only valid for about 30 minutes. So shutting down your GPS even for short periods will leave you with outdated Ephemeris Data. And when you turn it back on it will take a little while before that information is updated again. That's why if you plan to use your GPS throught the day it's best to carry extra batteries and just leave it on.

And then standing still in one place for a period of time will give you improved accuracy as the GPS refines it's position fix. With or without averaging.

The canned stock answer to your question can be found here. The truth, of course, is far too frightening to discuss in a public forum. :)

Well, that and the Court ordred Gag order, in place untill the trial is over prevents it anyway. :laughing:

That trial is both a circus and a nightmare, and I must admit that I -- who does not normally watch much TV -- am glued to the TV set almost every day, watching that progress of that federal trial on the cable channel. I cannot say any more here at this time, because I too was named in the gag order issued by the courts.

I'll just cover the bad coordinate issue.

If I hide a cache, indicate it's Idaho and then screw up my data entry. It could come up in Wyoming. My reviewer knows that they haven't approved any wyoming caches (yet) for me and so they would ask me if I meant Idaho or if the cache is really in Wyoming. It's a quick reality check because it's easy to miss type a coordinate.

There are no doubt other tips and tricks to spotting bad coordinates that reviewers learn as they ply their trade.

Seeing nothing but light blue on the cache page map is often a clue that the coordinates are wrong. Quite a difference between W081 degrees and W018 degrees. My favorite was a cache with coordinates placing it about a mile offshore in Lake Erie. The cache description said something like "This is a new bike trail that not many people know about. It may get pretty wet after a rainstorm." :laughing:

Also common: Using "home" coordinates for the cache coordinates, because that was the waypoint that came up as "nearest" when the hider sat down at his computer to write up the cache page. A reviewer catches those by wondering why the map shows a residential neighborhood, while the cache page describes a hike in the foothills.

Moral: After submitting your cache page, click on the map links to confirm that your cache is in the spot you thought you left it in.

Seeing nothing but light blue on the cache page map is often a clue that the coordinates are wrong. Quite a difference between W081 degrees and W018 degrees. My favorite was a cache with coordinates placing it about a mile offshore in Lake Erie. The cache description said something like "This is a new bike trail that not many people know about. It may get pretty wet after a rainstorm." :laughing:

Also common: Using "home" coordinates for the cache coordinates, because that was the waypoint that came up as "nearest" when the hider sat down at his computer to write up the cache page. A reviewer catches those by wondering why the map shows a residential neighborhood, while the cache page describes a hike in the foothills.

Moral: After submitting your cache page, click on the map links to confirm that your cache is in the spot you thought you left it in.

tee hee, I must tattle on my hubby on this one. It can make a big difference if you flip flop the North and the West coords too -- N 87 ... W 37 ... degrees made Mountain Climber question if the cache was really in Indiana. :) (then again, if the cache had been there, the 1* terrain rating would have been an issue likely as well!)

Oh, and as we learned with that experience -- if you place a cache, you will *not* (oddly enough) get an e-mail if a reviewer note is placed on the cache page. (unless they've changed the code for that in the past 6 months). So, check back to the page regularly to make sure there weren't any glitches. (you will get an e-mail if/when the cache publishes)

I'll add to the "wrong coords" (since I can't really speak about the trial and my "tell all" book that will be out later revealing the gross fraud that sucked an innocent cacher into the hideous cauldron that is reviewing - opps, forget I said that)( :laughing: gag order).

Anyway, sometimes the satellite views are so precise that you can darn near see that film can in the crook of the oak, or that the coords, described as being a scenic spot along the pond, are actually dead center on a residential roof. Wow, a livingroom cache. This gets the "check your coords" note.

I get caches on the west coast of Africa from time to time. This is what happens when 80 becomes 08 at this Latitude.

The canned stock answer to your question can be found here. The truth, of course, is far too frightening to discuss in a public forum. :laughing:

Well, that and the Court ordred Gag order, in place untill the trial is over prevents it anyway. :)

That trial is both a circus and a nightmare, and I must admit that I -- who does not normally watch much TV -- am glued to the TV set almost every day, watching that progress of that federal trial on the cable channel. I cannot say any more here at this time, because I too was named in the gag order issued by the courts.

i heard that PLATINUM MEMBERS are allowed to talk to the press about the trial.

the down side is that they can only talk to Star Jones. :D

The canned stock answer to your question can be found here. The truth, of course, is far too frightening to discuss in a public forum. :laughing:

Well, that and the Court ordred Gag order, in place untill the trial is over prevents it anyway. :)

the down side is that they can only talk to Star Jones. :o

Titanium Members get to talk to Geraldo. :D

I’ve got a question for reviewers. :o

Doesn’t it ruin the fun of caching when you review the cache before

it’s public and see the extra info we post for the reviewer. :laughing: I mean

you get all the locations for a multi cache and the answers to puzzle caches. :laughing:

You even get a better description of the hiding places and the containers. :laughing:

Just curious. :o

I’ve got a question for reviewers. :o

Doesn’t it ruin the fun of caching when you review the cache before

it’s public and see the extra info we post for the reviewer. :laughing: I mean

you get all the locations for a multi cache and the answers to puzzle caches. :laughing:

You even get a better description of the hiding places and the containers. :laughing:

Just curious. :o

Typically, I review more than 300 caches per month -- that's 10 a day, on average. Some days it's 40. The details fade from memory quite quickly. Even when I'm studying the stages of a multicache on a map, that's quite different than trying to find them out in the woods. By the time I get around to finding that cache, usually months later, I've forgotten all the "inside information." And I am ethically obligated not to use that information to cheat the cache. All the reviewer notes disappear from view when the cache is listed, and they can only be seen with my reviewer account by clicking on a special link. I receive my pocket queries and cache information using my player account, so I couldn't access that information out in the woods even if I were desperate.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we will frequently pass off the review of a puzzle cache to another reviewer so as not to spoil the surprise. A quick look at the cache page to see that it's five miles from home, and I can decide to contact someone in another state to handle the review. And if the cache is at the far reaches of my review territory, I'm unlikely to make a trip to find that puzzle cache any time soon, so I'll have forgotten the details on how to solve it.

As for traditional caches, studying maps and satellite photos for the review process is no different than the tools available to everyone else. As you know, finding the cache out in the field is often quite different than you had imagined when you looked at the location on a map. I have to stumble around checking all the stumps and rocks just like the next guy.

Well, that and the Court ordred Gag order, in place untill the trial is over prevents it anyway. :laughing:

Titanium Members get to talk to Geraldo. :laughing:

Those with real power don't have to talk to anyone. Especially Geraldo and Star Jones.

Titanium Members get to talk to Geraldo. :laughing:

But the Black members don't have to talk to anyone if they don't want to. And it they do want to talk, they can talk to anyone they choose. My fantasy does not include Keystone, but I'd like to 'talk' to Brooke Burke. :o:o

Edited by wimseyguy

I have to stumble around checking all the stumps and rocks just like the next guy.

Oh, please don't go and ruin my fantasy of you like that. :laughing::laughing:

:laughing: Whoah, dude. You have inspired a fantasy. I think Keystone has a forum first.

Next to the incentive bonus checks and use of the Groundspeak jet, I'd have to say that having groupies is one of the nicest job perqs that a cache reviewer/forum moderator could ask for.

In response to the many e-mail requests, I am posting The Picture that so many of you have written about. Soon it will be available as a poster through Shop Groundspeak.

b6a5aeff-817a-44ea-912e-84c4735d65d4.jpg

Next to the incentive bonus checks and use of the Groundspeak jet, I'd have to say that having groupies is one of the nicest job perqs that a cache reviewer/forum moderator could ask for.

In response to the many e-mail requests, I am posting The Picture that so many of you have written about. Soon it will be available as a poster through Shop Groundspeak.

b6a5aeff-817a-44ea-912e-84c4735d65d4.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with that.