Coordinate Question

back2eight

Okay, I just placed my first cache and listed it but it has not been reviewed and published yet. I am confused about something though. It is less than a mile away from my house, yet when I listed it on the site it showed it as being 16 miles away from my home coordinates. I double checked to make sure I didn't enter anything wrong, and I did not. So, what exactly is the site using for home coordinates then? Because it surely is not 16 miles away from my house?!?

Okay, I just placed my first cache and listed it but it has not been reviewed and published yet. I am confused about something though. It is less than a mile away from my house, yet when I listed it on the site it showed it as being 16 miles away from my home coordinates. I double checked to make sure I didn't enter anything wrong, and I did not. So, what exactly is the site using for home coordinates then? Because it surely is not 16 miles away from my house?!?

It all depends you what you entered. Unless you live in a rural area and used your zip code instead of actual coordinates, you've probably entered them wrong on either the cache page or for your profile.

You can check/enter your home coordinates from this page:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/home.aspx

I still don't understand what is going on, or maybe I am missing something. It never asked me for my home coordinates when I signed up, just my zipcode. The coordinates that I entered for the cache that I hid are correct, I double checked that, and I know that it is not even a mile away from my house, yet it is still saying that it is 16 miles away. But how does it know when all it has is my zipcode, which covers a large area?

You have been a member for 11 days and think you can hid a cache. This is whats bringing the sport down. Junky hides that stop people that know what there doing from using the location.

Hay you might be a great hider, but I think you should wait and get more then ONE find under your belt before hiding.

And you prbably will get approved. And I guess there in lies the real problem.

Edited by papatom2

Hey, you don't have to be mean to a new person. :laughing:

You have been a member for 11 days and think you can hid a cache. This is whats bringing the sport down. Junky hides that stop people that know what there doing from using the location.

Hay you might be a great hider, but I think you should wait and get more then ONE find under your belt before hiding.

Yep, that is really rude. Don't come looking for my cache, you can't have it anyway.

I live in the middle of a national forrest area. I found my first cache yesterday which happened to be less than a mile away from my house and I found it with no problem. It was a trashy cache, it needs to be cleaned out. I put nice stuff in mine and I picked a really cool location. I also have other locations in mind that will be better than the one I found yesterday. I am in the woods around here all the time on horseback so I know lots of good spots. Just because I had a question on how to use the site doesn't mean I don't know how to do this. I am a member of other forums and I know how aggravating newbie questions are. My question was about navigating the site, not navigating around with my GPS. I am having no problem with that. I think what is bringing the sport down is attitudes like yours, not new people joining. For goodness sakes, it is not some kind of exclusive club that only people that have been doing it for years can participate. So get off it.

Definately a little mean spirited but undeneath the hostility is a valid point. GPS experience and knowledge of a good location are only the start. It really is a good idea to seek out 20 or so other caches to get a feeling for the type of hiding places to use (and also to avoid). You need to take account of things like privacy. If your spot attracts visitors, will the cache be found accidentally and will cachers be able to find it without being seen or attracting attention. Will the cache be exposed when summer vegetation dies back, will it be washed away during heavy rain, is it blocking the burrow of a hibernating animal. Some hiding places are so common they have become cliches, do you want to use such a place and make it easy or delibreately avoid them and make it much harder. To do that you have to recognise the cliches, something which only comes with a few finds under your belt. There are also some cachers who will deliberately avoid "Found 1: Hidden 1" caches from bitter experience.

Hey, you don't have to be mean to a new person. :laughing:

Yep, that is really rude. Don't come looking for my cache, you can't have it anyway.

I live in the middle of a national forrest area. I found my first cache yesterday which happened to be less than a mile away from my house and I found it with no problem. It was a trashy cache, it needs to be cleaned out. I put nice stuff in mine and I picked a really cool location. I also have other locations in mind that will be better than the one I found yesterday. I am in the woods around here all the time on horseback so I know lots of good spots. Just because I had a question on how to use the site doesn't mean I don't know how to do this. I am a member of other forums and I know how aggravating newbie questions are. My question was about navigating the site, not navigating around with my GPS. I am having no problem with that. I think what is bringing the sport down is attitudes like yours, not new people joining. For goodness sakes, it is not some kind of exclusive club that only people that have been doing it for years can participate. So get off it.

back2eight, I hope your cache is a success. It sounds like you have the right ideas and you know the area.

Three of the best caches I have found, on which I was able to be FTF, were placed by a brand new cacher who knew a remote area really well. Anytime someone is heading that way, I tell them to put those caches on their list because the hike is really nice!

For the most part, these Forums are friendly and well-moderated, compared to other Internet Forums. Don't let one person discourage your from participation.

Welcome to the Sport/Activity/Hobby/Addiction! :lol::tired:

I don't recall the OP asking you whether he should hide the cache, just what the deal was with the distance from his home coordinates. Your rude and off topic response is quite unappropriate.

BTW, I've found many a fine cache hidden by a newbie and many a lousy one placed by those with hundreds, or thousands of finds.

Good luck with your cache Back2eight and ignore the naysayers and anklebiters around here.

"Definately a little mean spirited but undeneath the hostility is a valid point. GPS experience and knowledge of a good location are only the start. It really is a good idea to seek out 20 or so other caches to get a feeling for the type of hiding places to use (and also to avoid). You need to take account of things like privacy. If your spot attracts visitors, will the cache be found accidentally and will cachers be able to find it without being seen or attracting attention. Will the cache be exposed when summer vegetation dies back, will it be washed away during heavy rain, is it blocking the burrow of a hibernating animal. Some hiding places are so common they have become cliches, do you want to use such a place and make it easy or delibreately avoid them and make it much harder. To do that you have to recognise the cliches, something which only comes with a few finds under your belt. There are also some cachers who will deliberately avoid "Found 1: Hidden 1" caches from bitter experience."

Again, I don't need attitudes like that. You are insulting me by calling me stupid. Where do you live? I live in a National Forrest. I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbors being miles away, going to town pnce a month. ALL my free time is spent outside in the woods, and I ride horses all the time. So I probably know better hiding places than you do, and I'm sure that when people start finding my caches they will agree. I have only hidden one, but I went to town today and got enough stuff for several more because I know of some really good locations. I am not putting crap prizes in mine, either, like what was in the one that I found. Also, with a job, three kids, several other hobbies, it is not like I can spend all my time out hunting caches. I will get to them eventually.

To those who were nice, thank you. With attitudes like the others, nobody will join this hobby and it will die out. They should be booted from the forum for talking like that. As stated above, my question was what were they using for my home coordinates because I didn't enter any and I was confused when it was saying there was a cache that was 16 miles away when I know for a fact that it is .6 miles away. I was just using my zip code and had never entered actual home coordinates. when I did, it was showing the distance correctly. I can't believe that someone jumped all over me for asking that question and told me not to hide a cache. Sheesh.

Kristi

Kristi,

Ignore them...

I'm new here too...and spent a lot of time lurking....and was surprised.

There's a small group here that like to think they are gods in this sport...they spend more time bitching here than they do looking for caches. Griping over rules, micro's, he-said-she-said, etc etc...instead of looking for more caches or hepling others.

I come to the forums to get information and throw out the rest of the jibber-jabber and stupid responses that help no one.

I, too, had a hard time with the home coordinates but eventually figured it out...as you did too.

Good luck....

Edited by 2LabCrew

You have been a member for 11 days and .........

I won't dignify this extrodinarily rude comment by quoting all of it. I'm amazed to see anyone post something like this in the getting started forum. This is a place to offer advice and encouragement, not a place for nasty mean remarks.

IGNORE-IGNORE-IGNORE

Your cache sounds just fine. I trust you have the answer to your initial question. Obviously the distance was from the center of your zip code. Once you get your real home coords entered distances from home will be correct.

Look, I'm sorry. My post wasn't meant to rude. But I think it has been blown out of propotion. I never said:

"You are insulting me by calling me stupid.....snip..... I can't believe that someone jumped all over me for asking that question and told me not to hide a cache."

I said:

"Hay you might be a great hider, but I think you should wait and get more then ONE find under your belt before hiding.:

I never said you were stupid or anything else, so please forgive me.

Look, I'm sorry. My post wasn't meant to rude. But I think it has been blown out of propotion. I never said:

"You are insulting me by calling me stupid.....snip..... I can't believe that someone jumped all over me for asking that question and told me not to hide a cache."

I said:

"Hay you might be a great hider, but I think you should wait and get more then ONE find under your belt before hiding.:

You did mean to be rude, that post couldn't have been taken any other way. But I guess I'm just egging it on when I keep responding, so I will let it drop now.

I do have one more question. How long does it take them to approve a cache and get it published? It has now been three days since I submitted it. I have two more great places in mind that I want to hide some more, and I am going hunting again this Saturday. I bought some cool new prizes yesterday.

I do have one more question. How long does it take them to approve a cache and get it published? It has now been three days since I submitted it. I have two more great places in mind that I want to hide some more, and I am going hunting again this Saturday. I bought some cool new prizes yesterday.

It could take anywhere from a few hours to several days and sometimes more. I'd say most of the time it's about 2 days, but it all depends on the reviewer's workload and also if he is available. If a reviewer goes away for a weekend, things can pile up. Same if the weather has been nice and a lot of people are hiding caches.

They are volunteers and do the best they can.

If you're hiding a multi or puzzle cache it will take a bit longer as the review process is more involved.

Things you can do to speed the process:

• Provide additional waypoints for each stage of a multi cache using the additional waypoints feature.
  • Enter your home coordinates in your profile. They don't have to be your actual home, but within a mile
    or so will do.
  • Provide the actual coordinates for a puzzle cache, again using the additional waypoints feature.
  • Provide as much information as you can in the note to reviewer. If your cache is along a converted
    rails to trails path and the maps still show the tracks, mention this. If its on private property and you
    have the landowner's permission, mention it. Fully explain anything that the reviewer have reason to question.

And ablove all, make sure you actually read the guidelines. They are long and detailed, but taking 15 minutes to read them can save you mucho time retreiving caches that will not be listed.

BTW, I don't think McKryton was implying that you are stupid. He gave some excellent advice. Some things that a novice might not consider.

Edited by briansnat

It may also take extra time as you are hiding in a National Forest. Make sure you let the reviewer know who gave you permission to hide the cache.

I'm not aware that permission is required in national forests. Some wilderness areas within national forests are off limits and some local management may have requirements for permission, but generally speaking, caches are OK in national forests.

It may also take extra time as you are hiding in a National Forest. Make sure you let the reviewer know who gave you permission to hide the cache.

I'm not aware that permission is required in national forests. Some wilderness areas within national forests are off limits and some local management may have requirements for permission, but generally speaking, caches are OK in national forests.

This one is not in the NF, it is on my own property, although the next ones I will be hiding will be on NF land. For this one, the tree cover is very thick and I really couldn't get the best reading, so I hung it from a tree where it is in plain site. I figured if I coud at least get cachers in the area they should see it. I am not worried about it getting muggled since it is practically behind my house, and if someone does find it there is clear explanation of what it is there for. Does this sound okay? Don't worry, it is not a boring find, I chose this location because of some particular plants growing there that are cool.

I do need to find out about hiding in the NF though.

I said:

Remember that when the sport was new, all of the hiders were nubies, and none of them had lots of finds under their belt. And this activity has grown, and grown. Many of the experienced hiders place the proverbial WalMart parking lot caches. For those people that like those caches that is great. I have no problem with micros, or any kind of cache. Locally I might try a puzzle cache, or a several stage multi.

My favorite caches have been the traditional hide in the woods with trinkets to trade, but will search for a micro if it is nearby.

We spend too much time complaining about parking lot caches, and argueing over whether a cacher should be able to have multiple logs for an event where you hunt for multiple (well hidden) caches. We could be out walking the woods (or the parking lots if that is your style) to find new Adventures

Enjoy the sport/activity and stop complaining about inconsequential little matters

IMHO

Thanks for the Adventures

Gary

The National Forest is fine for hiding caches without having to seek permission.

One suggestion, if you haven't done it already, is to have a statement on the cache page that states the cache "is placed on Private Property with permission." There is an example of how the cache owners did it on this page. You don't have to state that it is your own property.

It sounds like the local cachers are going to be happy to have a new cacher in their midst because you are going to show them new areas, which is what Geocaching is all about. :blink:

The National Forest is fine for hiding caches without having to seek permission.

One suggestion, if you haven't done it already, is to have a statement on the cache page that states the cache "is placed on Private Property with permission." There is an example of how the cache owners did it on this page. You don't have to state that it is your own property.

It sounds like the local cachers are going to be happy to have a new cacher in their midst because you are going to show them new areas, which is what Geocaching is all about. :blink:

I hope so. :blink:. I found one that was only .6 miles from my house. I was able to walk to it and be back home iwthin 35 minutes. The coordinates were 100 feet off, but it wasn't well hidden and was just sitting there and I saw it. It was exciting finding my first cache, even though the insides were wet and the prizes were junk. I am hiding better stuff in mine, and I am going to double bag everything to hopefully prevent the moisture from ruining the contents. I will also check on them very frequently.

I am probably going to place two others this afternoon. I have two really neat places that I enjoy going to, and both are easy to get to and would be good for someeone to go to as a family with small children. This is fun!

I said:

The one line of your's you quoted may not be too rude, but your first line was very rude:

You should be asking forgiveness for that line!