Connecting Legend To Pc

My apologies if this has already been asked before and I'm simply too lazy to search..........

Have just bought an Etrex Legend and have been entering co-ords manually. Have downloaded EasyGPS to get started on downloading, but when I connect the supplied cable to the available serial ports on my PC absolutely nothing happens! It seems my PC can't detect the Legend! :P

Running WinXP and only have 2 serial ports available. Is it worthwhile getting a serial to USB converter? Would this solve the problem?

Any assistance would be gratefully received!!! :)

Hi, I am using a Legend and i bought a serial to USB converter and it works just fine. You sometimes have to change the baud rate and serial port number, this is available from within your programs on the PC.

This is how I changed mine.

Go to START

CONTROL PANEL

SYSTEM

HARDWARE

DEVICE MANAGER

PORTS

Right Click COM PORTS

PROPERTIES

PORT SETTINGS

ADVANCED

If you go to each of these in turn as I have suggested then you will be able to choose your Com Port.

Thank you all for your comments and tips, but I'm still having no joy. I've changed the baud settings on my PC COM ports both to 4800 and the Garmin is set to 'Garmin' as serial data format, but nothing's happening. I was trying to update the Garmin software and thought I'd try the 'autodetect' feature, but am still having no luck. Have checked Garmin's support area, but to be honest it all sounds very complicated!

Yours frustratedly.................. :)

On mine I've got it set to Garmin eTrex Legend on Com2 and the Speed is greyed out at 9600

In Device Manager on the Windows Control Panel Com2 has the following settings

Bit per second- 128000

Data bits- 8

Parity- None

Stop bits- 1

Flow control- None

I had real problems getting mine connected when I first got it. I discovered that my XDA connection was hogging the port (despite the fact it's usb, not serial like the legend). Disconnected XDA and bob was my mother's sibling. You may have a similar issue.

Have you tried a different computer?

Or altetrnatively try a different GPS (if possible) on the same computer.

The problem may lie with one or the other and that could identify which one

Hmmmm - would like to try this, but only have one PC and one GPSr! Am now wondering if I could smuggle it in to work and give it a try on PC there.......... :)

I had real problems getting mine connected when I first got it. I discovered that my XDA connection was hogging the port (despite the fact it's usb, not serial like the legend). Disconnected XDA and bob was my mother's sibling. You may have a similar issue.

And an XDA is...............? :)

Silly question,but have you tried a serial mouse to see if the com port is working? also the cable may be faulty.

have you installed mapsource trip and waypoint manager ??

Dave

Good point about the serial mouse - will see what I can do there. But I don't have a copy of mapsource - is this a must? I thought it was just an add-on :huh:

Silly question,but have you tried a serial mouse to see if the com port is working? also the cable may be faulty.

have you installed mapsource trip and waypoint manager ??

Dave

Good point about the serial mouse - will see what I can do there. But I don't have a copy of mapsource - is this a must? I thought it was just an add-on :blink:

When I had this problem it emerged that it was Memory-Map that was hogging the serial port

As long as I used Mapsource separately there was no problem - are you sure you have no other software running that uses the serial port?

As to using Mapsource, it is just one application that you can use to download waypoints. AFAIK Easy Gps has similar functionality

When I had this problem it emerged that it was Memory-Map that was hogging the serial port

As long as I used Mapsource separately there was no problem - are you sure you have no other software running that uses the serial port?

As to using Mapsource, it is just one application that you can use to download waypoints. AFAIK Easy Gps has similar functionality

Aha!!!! Good point! I have HotSync Manager hogging COM1. And since my Palm's no longer attached / in use, then maybe I should look to remove this.

Thanks macroderma - hopefully this will work. :blink:

I also have similar problems as my hotsync clashes with my download to legend and I have to take off hotsync, which I do not really want to as i load the legend every week, but use my Palm quite often with support from hotsync. :blink::anicute:

The weird thing is, I no longer have my Palm connected to this PC, yet can see no way of uninstalling Palm, HotSync or anything else associated with it........... :anicute:

I also have similar problems as my hotsync clashes with my download to legend and I have to take off hotsync, which I do not really want to as i load the legend every week, but use my Palm quite often with support from hotsync. :blink::anicute:

The weird thing is, I no longer have my Palm connected to this PC, yet can see no way of uninstalling Palm, HotSync or anything else associated with it........... :anicute:

You presumably have some form of Palm application (to back up the PDA, load new software etc)

There should be a hotsync menu option, if you access that and select the 'setup' option you should get options for hotsysnc - like always available, available when the desktop is running or start manually

If you select one of the latter 2 you should stop hotsync running unless you want it to. I think it is a right click option from the hotsync icon in the system tray as well

The weird thing is, I no longer have my Palm connected to this PC, yet can see no way of uninstalling Palm, HotSync or anything else associated with it........... :blink:

Have you tried the "Remove Program" option in Control Panel and located Hotsync from there.

The weird thing is, I no longer have my Palm connected to this PC, yet can see no way of uninstalling Palm, HotSync or anything else associated with it........... :lol:

Have you tried the "Remove Program" option in Control Panel and located Hotsync from there.

Often re-running the installation program will give you an option to remove the program. The other comments about the Windows com port settings could be a red herring - I think that sets a maximum working speed, you need to configure port speed in GSAK and the Etrex.

But here is my top tip for the day: go to http://juice.altiris.com/svs and download yourself a copy of software virtualisation solution (free for personal use). With this you can virtualise the installation of hardware hogging software and then turn it off as if it never existed when you don't need it - or need to use some conflicting application. I now use this for all of the stuff that a) shouldn't be on my work laptop; :) hogs hardware or hooks the system e.g. Nokia PC suite c) stuff that installs a load of system tray stuff or lots of registry start up e.g. real player. and have the benifit of a practically clean machine with fast boot ups and less hangs and issues.

The weird thing is, I no longer have my Palm connected to this PC, yet can see no way of uninstalling Palm, HotSync or anything else associated with it........... :D

Hmmmm, have now located the Program (I was viewing by name and suddenyl noticed it was displaying only programs beginning with 'A') and uninstalled it........ :(

Software Virtualisation sounds a bit drastic to me!

Tteggod Trackers visited this evening and all works fine on his laptop. So I guess I need to purchase a serial to USB converter and take it from there...... :)