Pill Bottle Cache

im going to be going to a family get together soon and i want plant a small cache. i have a pill bottle ready to hide. (since i live like 400 miles away from where were going i figure it wont be so bad if it sadly gets muggled.)i would visit it every 2 years.

So my question is what is the best type of log book that you can put in a regular pill bottle? should i just get some paper and fold it up? tell me your ideas.

Thanks

Findandhide

400 miles, once every two years? I would think that would count as a 'vacation' cache and not be able to be listed. Maintenance ability is very important. Perhaps you could hide it and a local cacher could maintain it for you? If not, I think you may not get it published.

As far as a logbook, what diameter is the bottle opening, and how tall is it?

im going to be going to a family get together soon and i want plant a small cache. i have a pill bottle ready to hide. (since i live like 400 miles away from where were going i figure it wont be so bad if it sadly gets muggled.)i would visit it every 2 years.

So my question is what is the best type of log book that you can put in a regular pill bottle? should i just get some paper and fold it up? tell me your ideas.

Thanks

Findandhide

Define "regular"??

Try some some sample logsheets: HERE

Have you read the Guidelines...

Placing Caches on Vacation / Beyond Your Maintainable Distance

Placing caches on vacation or outside of your normal caching area is unacceptable and these caches may not be listed. As the cache owner you are obligated to be in a position to manage your caches, and caches placed on vacation require someone else to maintain them for you. It is not uncommon for areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. You must be able to react to negative cache logs and investigate the location quickly. Please be responsible. This guideline applies to all types of caches.

The territory in which a geocacher is able to maintain caches responsibly will vary from one person to the next. An active geocacher who regularly visits areas hundreds of miles apart can demonstrate their ability to maintain a cache 100 miles from home. A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache listed if placed 250 miles away from their home.

As far as a logbook, what diameter is the bottle opening, and how tall is it?

The bottle has a diameter of 1 3/8 inch and is 3 1/4 inch tall

Something that small would probably be best served with a homemade scroll and a golf pencil. Take some 8.5x11 paper and cut into 3" wide strips. Print lines on them first if you want.

Something else to consider - pill containers are not waterproof. I thought they would be, and I have three micros using them. Two of 'em aren't anywhere near the ground. I thought I could just put a paper strip in there for a log. They got wet - you have to put them in plastic bags.

Maybe the ones with the childproof lids are more waterproof - mine are all the ones anyone can open.

Any paper cut to size will "work" but if you want to makes things easy for the person who will be doing your in-between visit maintainence runs, I would use a booklet made of waterproof --or at least water resistant --paper, cut down to size and stapled together.

Leave an extra booklet with the person who is going to maintain it for you on that end so you won't have to scramble to get one to them if it fills up faster than you think it will.

I had a "Rite in the Rain" field book leftover from ecology classes I took in college that wasn't completely full. I cut strips out of it for logsbooks until it ran out. Some of those logbooks have been out in caches for two years now, and they still look great. Some local stores will carry something like that. There is a gun store near me that does. Or it can be ordered on-line.

Edited by Team Neos

how would I get a hold of someone in that area. none of my family acually lives there we all just meet up their and beside they dont do geocaching anyways. the zip code for the area is 54669. can anyone tell me how to find someone in that area?????

The container is waterproof i tested in my sink.

Edited by findandhide

How to find local cachers willing to help:

1.) Go to the local forum for that area and ask for a volunteer- the worst that can happen is nobody will "step up"

2.) Figure out who owns any nearby caches. Send them an email asking if they'd be willing to maintain one for you- again, worst case scenario is they say no!

Happy Caching!

Jeff

Something else to consider - pill containers are not waterproof. I thought they would be, and I have three micros using them. Two of 'em aren't anywhere near the ground. I thought I could just put a paper strip in there for a log. They got wet - you have to put them in plastic bags.

Maybe the ones with the childproof lids are more waterproof - mine are all the ones anyone can open.

No the childproof lids aren't waterproof either. Pill bottles make lousy containers.

If you're looking for a container the size of a pill bottle you might try one of these:

MATCHCASE5SMALL.jpg

The one that I use for my micro was hunter orange. I camo'd mine by wrapping it with black tape. They are about the same size, have a gasket, and are waterproof. I picked up mine at the local sporting goods store for about $2. Might be a better container option for you.

If you're looking for a container the size of a pill bottle you might try one of these:

MATCHCASE5SMALL.jpg

The one that I use for my micro was hunter orange. I camo'd mine by wrapping it with black tape. They are about the same size, have a gasket, and are waterproof. I picked up mine at the local sporting goods store for about $2. Might be a better container option for you.

They are 87 cents at Walmart.

MATCHCASE5SMALL.jpg

That actually looks pretty useful. What are they called (manufacturer and/or product name)? I'll try to find them even though the nearest Wal-Mart is 5000 miles away :anibad:

MATCHCASE5SMALL.jpg

That actually looks pretty useful. What are they called (manufacturer and/or product name)? I'll try to find them even though the nearest Wal-Mart is 5000 miles away :anibad:

The one I have is made by Coghlan's. Called a plastic match box. Here is a link to the page that it is on. Linky

MATCHCASE5SMALL.jpg

The one I have is made by Coghlan's. Called a plastic match box. Here is a link to the page that it is on. Linky

They are sold as "waterproof match boxes" . Most of the ones sold are orange, but you can fnd green at some military surplus outlets. If you buy the orange, a little camo duct tape can fix that (see pic).

aa2b3c2c-539a-4262-bf44-38af28c0dde0.jpg

They are sold as "waterproof match boxes" . Most of the ones sold are orange, but you can fnd green at some military surplus outlets. If you buy the orange, a little camo duct tape can fix that (see pic).

Excellent, both of you. I have found a scout shop here that has some Coghlan stuff, so I'll ask them if they can procure some. Otherwise I might have to take you up on the offer, Brian :anibad:

Edited by Yellow ants

Pill bottles make poor cache containers.

If it's really worth it to you, use a lock-n-lock or rubber made sandwich container. Put a small notebook in it and few trinkets. Nothing too expensive.

Yes, you will have to figure out a way around the vacation cache rule, too.

No the childproof lids aren't waterproof either. Pill bottles make lousy containers.

Teflon tape around the threads seals them. My first cache was a pill bottle, and stayed dry for about 6 months (including during some torrential storms) on the ground before being muggled.