Iso: Las Vegas Caches

My advise is to get out of Vegas and head out to Red Rock Canyon. Not only are there some amazing caches out there, but the entire experience is great. I imagine that a cacher could DNF every cache out there and still say that they had a great time just based on the location.

Also, Valley of Fire is a great spot, not many caches but still well worth it.

A few select caches that I recommend:

SouthEast of Vegas, on the way out towards Hoover Dam:

Creepy Cache.

Disabled, but keep an eye on this one, if it happens to be up and running its a Must Do Cache:

Las Vegas Amazing Cache (yes, that's its actual name) :(

Quite the challange, but what a view (if you have a full day to kill):

Mt Charleston Peak

One on the edge of the valley out towards Lake Mead, short hike:

March to the Arch

Also, you might ask the folks over in the forums at www.NevadaGeocaching.com. They're usually quite helpful, all except that MooseMob guy, watch out for him :rolleyes:

Deifinitly do Creepy cache 3. You should also check out Pioneer Saloon, this is a great cache, the locals are alot of fun, and ask for the brochure that has the history of this place its very unique.

If your going in the summer bring hydration packs, with the summer temps and the dry heat you may not realize how quickly you are deyhydrating. I'd also reccommend clothing that is light wieght and long sleeves especially if you burn easily.

I'll second VegasCacheHounds' suggestions for red Rocks. I did some at the end of March. That's the right time to do it. There were a lot of roadside grabs, but First Falls is a nice desert cache with a nice hike. There was a second cache, whose name escapes me, in the same area that has some beautiful scenerey. Saw wild burros and other desert critters. It was a DNF for me as I was running low on water, so I never got close to the cache.

There are also lots of urban caches, if your'e into that type of thing. Some are definately unique!

I live in the East now, but spent 20+ years in Arizona, so I know how valuable water is when you're desert trekking. For the time of year you're going, take at least twice the water you think you'll need. Also sunscreen and a hat. I get out to Vegas about every three years or so. I'm making note of the others mentioned and saving them for my next trip.