The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Ding!!

That sounds good enough for me!

Which English town was the first to replace traditional metal dustbins with black bin bags?

(Hint - it also served King Offa as his capital)

Well, no idea about bin liners, but the two things I know about Tamworth is the hint above and that Mini Metros' head gaskets blow there. (OK, maybe not ALL Mini Metros, but my wife's did, many years ago)

Can't comment on the mystical powers that afflict Mini Metro head gaskets but a bit of investigations shows that the King Offa hint is highly misleading as England's first declared king seems to have had more capitols than Robert the Bruce had caves to watch spiders in. Just shows you should never consult a pub quiz setter if you want vertifiable veracity! :)

So best try, try and try again ...

Which English town was the first to replace traditional metal dustbins with black bin bags?

(Hint - it also served King Offa as his capital)

Haven't got a clue about the bin bag bit......but, Tamworth is just down the road from me and used to be the capital of Mercia (possibly around the time of Offa? :unsure: ) so I'll go with Tamworth :mad:

Haven't got a clue about the bin bag bit......but, Tamworth is just down the road from me and used to be the capital of Mercia (possibly around the time of Offa? :huh: ) so I'll go with Tamworth :huh:

Just to make it clear the answer is NOT Tamworth. To try and stear you in the correct direction Valeria Singleton was born there as was the Director of the St Trinian Films (or at least the early and better ones) and Sir Henry Wood died there. Plus ... it was the first town in Britain to replace dustbins with bin bags.

Oh yes and for all you die hard Mercians, King Offa died not too far away at Bedford, where he is buried.

So a Hertfordshire boy then hence the nearby village name that sounds like tripe.

Ah now we are getting much warmer, the correct county at least. So when is someone going to post the name of the town where Bob Hope's family hale from and which rhymes with kitchen? And in case you wondered what the Norwich connection is well this town's football team are also called The cannaries! :laughing:

Vivian Stanshall, but he died back in 95 and the photo looks newer than that.

Nope, although he was often mistaken for Vivian when Vivian was alive.

(btw, don't know if you looked at the picture link but I deliberately renamed the picture VS-full.jpg in order to fool anyone looking for the link!!)

Edited by MartyBartfast

Picture round

Who's this?

VS-full.jpg

:blink: I think it's the original Bungle, Zippy and Geoffrey, as they were in their early days. This was before their meeting with the natural "style-guru" George, who was responsible for creating their clean-cut image for children's TV.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

Strange that the Bonzo's should be mentioned as checking the Shepherds Bush Empire site where we are going tonight to find that next weekend..............

Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

FRIDAY 17TH & SATURDAY 18TH NOVEMBER

The Bonzo's are back! Famous for the Urban Spaceman and Monster Mash, eight original band members including Neil Innes, Sam Spoons and 'Leg' Larry Smith are touring for the first time in forty years. Joined by Phill Jupitus and other special guests, this anniversary show is celebrating why the Bonzo's really are the originators of modern British comedy

The musical 'Hair' had a great song in 'The Dawning of the Age of Aquarius'. It refers to an astrological age to come. But how many years must we wait for this dawn to appear (approximately) and what exactly is its astronomical significance?

Chris

we have to wait approximately 594 years (2600 AD) The date marks the start of the next astrological age.

Good enough! The ecliptic (sun's path through the celestial sphere) and the celestial equator cross at this point and when the sun is at the same point its the spring equinox (autum in the southern hemisphere). At the moment that point is in Pisces and will move to Aquarius in about 600 years. It started out in Aries when ancient astronomers first mapped the heavens.

So a DING for you!

Chris

I think that's a famous cow. A musical cow... A Pink Floyd cow. Not 100% sure of which album it's on, so I'd take a stab at Animals. Where Wind in the Willows comes in, I'm not sure... unless.. doesn't one of Pink Floyd have a studio on a river? Might be something there... Was it once owned by whoever wrote WitW (I keep thinking A.A. Milne and I'm sure that's not right)

Edit: A little research shows I'm in the right general area, but the album is Atom Heart Mo(o)ther :blink: Animals is the one with Alibags on the cover above Battersea power station, of course.

Edited by Simply Paul
Half way there Paul, it certainly is Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd. But what is the link with Kenneth Grahame's classic?
Well I know now, I found it by accident while reminding myself Kenneth Grahame wrote of Ratty and Mr Toad with the help of Google. It's not so obscure that no one will get it though...

Thanks for the hint. Having just read the cache description, and checked against my son's copy of Wind in the Willows, I discovered that chapter 7 is titled 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'.

I didn't have to check my collection of Pink Floyd albums, as I know that their first album was called 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'.

:huh:

I didn't have to check my collection of Pink Floyd albums, as I know that their first album was called 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn'.

:huh:

And recorded in a neighbouring studio at Abbey Road when the Beatles were recording Sgt Pepper.

Saw them do Atom Heart Mother in Hyde Park for free, ah those were the days....just think that years later I would be walking over the same ground looking for micros!