The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

OK It would seem that no one out there remembers the (probably) first BBC sci-fi adventure :unsure: .

Originally on Radio and then on TV in the '50s.

Angus McVivar's "Voyage to the lost planet" and "Return to the lost planet".

The planet was.....Hesikos.

Let's try again...........What, precisely, is a "Yarborough"?

My knowledge of the Beeb in the 50's is limited to Quatermass (the writer of which has just died, I see on Ceefax) so I'll say is it the planet visited by a 'spaceman' in the original series? (Long shot!)

The answer was given as I was typing! But I was dadgum close! :unsure:

Yarborough...? Do I need to find my Book of Liff?

Edited by Simply Paul

Its something like a foul followed by a max break, which must be a nominated black ball and therefore 155?

Ding!!! :tired:

"if a player commits a foul stroke with all 15 reds still on the table, and snookers the opponent, the opponent may choose to hit any coloured ball as a free ball which is scored as a red. A break in excess of 147 will be achieved by potting that free ball and a colour, then all of the reds followed by blacks, then all colours. In this case, the highest possible break is 155 (16 "reds", 16 blacks)."

One for the girls!

What links an American baseball coach with the house of the double C

Looks like the questions are getting too difficult, anyhow I'll have a WILD guess.

The only baseball coach I've ever come across was "Coach" in Cheers, and I've no idea what double C is but it sounds like a bra size :laughing: , so I'll guess Shelly Long (SP?) who had a small boobs, and was in Cheers with Coach.

The double C does indeed refer to Chanel as the initials of Coco Chanel, but where does the baseball coach come in?

(I thought that the questions so far were very blokey, hence a slightly more refined subject)

Edited by 2202

:laughing: I suggested that there's a basebell coach called Chanel (I bet he smells lovely :blink: )...if it's not that, then I can go no further with my deductions, Dr Watson.*

MrsB ;)

*edited to add, "... unless he's called Charles/Christopher/Columbus/Clive/Crispian Chanel"**

**delete as appropriate

Edited by The Blorenges

It is a bit of a hard question so the answer is that one of the classic Chanel outfits uses the Houndstooth patten. Karl Lagerfeld the current 'Artistic Director' even used it in the houses recent show.

The legendary former University of Alabama football coach Paul "Bear" Bryant made this pattern popular by wearing his trademark Houndstooth hat on the sidelines of every game he coached.

Chad. (the snipped-out bit of a ticket, not the country)

I asked a neighbouring farmer who used to be a nuclear physicist at Harwell as I wondered whether any piece of nuclear research equipment invented at Harwell has been named after the town. He said that chad is called Didcots by Douglas Adams in Hitchhiker's Guide.

Is that a ding then?

If so, here's my question.

Some words in the English language have two opposite and contradictory meanings. For example: the word "sanction" can mean to permit something and it can also mean to prohobit something.

Name three other words which also have two opposite meanings.

consult: to both request and give advice

custom: can mean 'normal' and 'made to measure'

buckle: can mean to fix together or to bend irreparably

My favourite if only because I remember the confusion when I first read the latter form:

raise, raze

(though this is of course a pair of homophones, not a single word)

Edited by rutson

Excellent, Rutson. I hadn't thought of "consult".

Others which I had thought of were:

"oversight": which can mean either attention or inattention.

"fast": which can mean either moving quickly or not at all.

"downhill": which can mean either getting easier or getting worse.

"dust": which can mean either adding dust or taking dust away.

Good ding.

Edited to add:

I've just thought of another one while rounding up some of my sheep which had gone on an unauthorised walkabout on the wrong side of a local river.

In Scotland a small river, what would be called a brook or a beck in England, is called a burn. So, in Jockanese English at least, the word "burn" can mean either fire or water.

Edited by The Forester
...He said that chad is called Didcots by Douglas Adams in Hitchhiker's Guide.
More likely from The Meaning of Liff, or The Deeper Meaning of Liff - books he wrote in the 80s based on place names. Having lived in Tingewick, it was one of my favourites :D

Back to what is a Didcot.

I understand that it originates from the railways, as its the piece of card that is snipped by the ticket inspector when he punches your ticket....I see they use a date stamp now.

Apparently Princess Margaret was showered with Didcots by members of NUR (as confetti) when she got married to Anthony Armstrong Jones in Feb 1960 at Westminster Abbey (source Qi)

Flags

I just realised that i am not sure if i will be able to log on tommorrow morning as i will be working so in case i got it right heres my question.

(sticking with my answer) Pirates didn't often fly the jolly roger so what doid they fly instead?

if of course i got the answer wrong then feel free to ignore me!!!

Edited by pirate_matt

Good guess at a 'vexing' question, SP. Sorry though,

Flags

I just realised that i am not sure if i will be able to log on tommorrow morning as i will be working so in case i got it right heres my question.

(sticking with my answer) Pirates didn't often fly the jolly roger so what doid they fly instead?

if of course i got the answer wrong then feel free to ignore me!!!

That's a Ding! for Pirate Matt.

So what did pirates fly? The Spanish flag (so they could get nearer to the ships carrying the Spanish gold)

Edited by The Bongtwashes

Flags

Well of course they did fly the Jolly Roger or more properly Jolie Rouge, which was a red pennant (long thin triangular flag) which was the sign that they were a Privateer, along with the national flag of the country from which they took their commision. The black "square" flag (with or without bones) was a signal flag but was only hoisted after a pursued ship was engaged it that ship put up resistance and carried the message that no quarter would be given if resistance continued (kind of surender or else). :D

Flags

Well of course they did fly the Jolly Roger or more properly Jolie Rouge, which was a red pennant (long thin triangular flag) which was the sign that they were a Privateer, along with the national flag of the country from which they took their commision. The black "square" flag (with or without bones) was a signal flag but was only hoisted after a pursued ship was engaged it that ship put up resistance and carried the message that no quarter would be given if resistance continued (kind of surender or else). :)

Ding!!

That sounds good enough for me!

Edited by pirate_matt

Flags

Well of course they did fly the Jolly Roger or more properly Jolie Rouge,

:) Sorry i should have made that clearer i meant the jolly roger as it is known today (i.e. the skull and cross bones!)

Edited by pirate_matt