What's Going On Here?

It shows as disabled, not archived. But it's been disabled for over a year??? Looks like it's just being used as a spot to log the owners TBs/coins. Not much wrong with that. The finds may be errors and might have meant to have been notes.

I didn't necessarily think there was anything wrong with it (other than the false finds) I just never heard of this. I don't understand.

Can't find the thread right now but a few days ago, I read about some cachers using archived and disabled caches as places to log temporary/event caches. Somebody runs around with the GC numbers to be used to log temporary/event caches. Silliness to me but at least a few folks reported seeing it done.

It's just criminal trying to be cache cop #1

:)

No, criminal views the scrolling log entries to see who's doing what while passing the time and saw something that anyone would consider odd...no "cache cop" about it...to me a valid question.

From what I can tell, there are people that have personal bugs/coins that do not actually leave their posesion but that they do not want listed on thier profile as they log caches. I assume this is so that those with large numbers of trackables do not get screwed up while moving other trackables from cache to cache, so they place them into archived caches temporarilly between events.

or something like that :)

Celticwulf

:)

No, criminal views the scrolling log entries to see who's doing what while passing the time and saw something that anyone would consider odd...no "cache cop" about it...to me a valid question.

From what I can tell, there are people that have personal bugs/coins that do not actually leave their posesion but that they do not want listed on thier profile as they log caches. I assume this is so that those with large numbers of trackables do not get screwed up while moving other trackables from cache to cache, so they place them into archived caches temporarilly between events.

or something like that :)

Celticwulf

If I don't want my bug/coins in my drop off inventory I just stick them out into the 'unknown location'. Seems easier to me.

(But personally I think they are just placing them in the cache for others to retrieve rather than waiting for someone to grab it away from them)

Edited by BlueDeuce

If I don't want my bug/coins in my drop off inventory I just stick them out into the 'unknown location'. Seems easier to me.

(But personally I think they are just placing them in the cache for others to retrieve rather than waiting for someone to grab it away from them)

Yep, the "Unknown Location" is an easy solution that doesn't hijack an existing cache that ought to be archived and cleaned up, in order to preserve the record for those who actually found it. I guess people have a fear of the unknown.

To me, the "Unknown Location" option, combined with the new "Discovered It" log type, solves the problem of how to make it easy for people to log that they've seen your coin collection.

Yep, the "Unknown Location" is an easy solution that doesn't hijack an existing cache that ought to be archived and cleaned up, in order to preserve the record for those who actually found it. I guess people have a fear of the unknown.

To me, the "Unknown Location" option, combined with the new "Discovered It" log type, solves the problem of how to make it easy for people to log that they've seen your coin collection.

You can discover a traveler while it's out to an unknown location.

Sweet.

Edited by BlueDeuce

This post might 'splain it Coin/TB drop.. When you own tons of coins and drop a TB you have all them to scroll through. so you can "Drop" them into a cache you archived, or make a new one and never send it in for approval. I did the latter.

I did the same as you, made a cache and never sent it for approval. Works great without cluttering up anyones searches with my coin stash.

Ok, I think I get it now. If you acquire a coin through a trade or purchase and you want it listed on your trackables, you put it in one of these coin dumps. I never considered that problem; all the coins I have were through finding them in a cache or at an event. Seems pretty simple really.

:ph34r:

For a guy with less than 500 posts in the forums, you sure have a big chip on your shoulder. If you don’t appreciate my views on fake finds, you are under no obligation to read them. However, you don’t have the authority, intellect, or brute strength to keep me from expressing them. I’ll give you a little hint though, name calling won’t do it and is a violation of the forum posting rules.

This cache was reported missing and archived. Now there are dozens of bug\coin drops several are "finds", some even multiple "finds".

Is there some new sub or alternate game I don't know about?

You are hardly alone in noticing this phenomena and feeling that it is a tad bizarre. I started a short-lived thread in the TB/coins section a few months ago, mentioning that I had noticed that a number of folks seem to log TBs and coins into and out of caches which are located 5,000 or 8,000 miles from their home -- caches that they have never closer to than 5,000 miles, and for which they have never logged a find. Then there are the people who have never been out of their home state in the USA but occasionally log caches in India, Tibet, China and South America, often on the same day that they found five lamppost micros three miles from home. Oh, and their log entries for these exotic foreign finds are usually really exciting -- they often read "Found it. TNLNSL. TFTC). Sigh!