Logging A Find

It's only polite to email them first as I've found that some who are new to caching accidentally give the whole game away "it was such a hoot to find we came all the way back to the car park to that weird looking hollow tree - see our picture" sort of thing. However, that said, sounds like the final stage needs a little tweaking.

Came accross some cachers the other day that always try to find the cache not only sand gps but also sans compass and map. They had managed to find over 25 caches using this method including three multis and some puzzle caches too. I couldn't believe it at first but they showed me the hidden verbal clues that litter most cache descritptions (without even decrypting the hint). I've tried it and it works.

Was chuffed to bits that we were the first to defeat their cunning plan. We have also started to back engineer suttle anti hints in case there are other "naked cachers" out there. That's naked as in chef/gardener, of course they're not nude that would be silly!

I'd be happy to keep logs like that as to me it's the final cache find and the act of signing the logbook that counts.

I would think it very unfair to have a cache owner delete my log if I found the final cache and signed the logbook but missed out one of the micro's that lead to the final cache.

I thought the same at first, but just went to examine the cache details, and CSC are right. They've only found the first part of the cache, not the final location, so I don't think that counts as a find!

Bit surprising, as the cachers are fairly experienced, and should know better! So yes, I'd send and e-mail first, explaining things...

Dave

I found a FTF on a cache today ... signed the log book and retraced my steps on a nice walk that I had enjoyed. I didnt find the micro at the second stage but used the way the webpage was written to deduce the final cache location. Are you suggesting that this is not acceptable?

I told the owner this is how I found the cache and now know where the incredibly well hidden micro is located. Had I merely logged the find and not admitted I had missed a bit of the multi out ... would this make it more acceptable to you?

As an owner of a number of caches I would welcome a cacher admitting this to me. I could then make an informed decision to either rewrite the webpage or amend the cache. The final log book is signed and I would have no concerns over shortcomings of my own making in writing the webpage.

Following other's posts went and checked the log of Slippery When Wet and fully agree. Finding the first stage of a Multicache is NOT a find. If it were what would be the point in setting anything but simple Dash & Cash or long slog in same way out caches.

Can only assume that the "finders" are a bit too slippery and think the rest of us are "wet". I'd email them say that they seem to have chosen the wrong option, attach a copy of there log and then as soon as the email has gone Hit The Button!

I found a FTF on a cache today ... signed the log book and retraced my steps on a nice walk that I had enjoyed. I didnt find the micro at the second stage but used the way the webpage was written to deduce the final cache location. Are you suggesting that this is not acceptable?

Not at all. The situation I have is the opposite, where they have found the first part but not the second, yet have claimed a find

I don't know if you recently changed the cache page, but I see it clearly states "You must find both boxes to claim a find!"

Normally I'd say leave it - they are only cheating themselves if they find another way of getting to the prize.

However if it's your requirement (for whatever reason) that both boxes are found, I'd say you are fully entitled to delete their log.

I'd send them an email explanaing why first though... ^_^

Jon

I would think it very unfair to have a cache owner delete my log if I found the final cache and signed the logbook but missed out one of the micro's that lead to the final cache.

That would eliminate about half of all my multicache finds. I always try to find some way to shortcut a multi. It saves time and (in my twisted little mind) "encourages" the owner to make their next multi less hackable.

" I always try to find some way to shortcut a multi. It saves time and (in my twisted little mind) "encourages" the owner to make their next multi less hackable." ^_^ Is this what I called "naked caching" earlier. Do you use any other atrificial means like GPS/map/compass. As one of those who has learnt to make multi's less hackable it does seem there is scope for "naked caching" but to claim a find you must actual physically find the final cache box and sign the log. Otherwise why not log it as a find if you "find the car park" or can down load the cache description, after all you have managed to "find it"!We have sometimes gone without GPS or had to overcome a missing micro on a multicache but have never gone out deliberately to go "naked caching" although there are plenty of dash & cahes that could be done that way if it's a case of never mind the quality feel the width.

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Just a thought, but why do you have 2 logbooks for the cache? Why not create two caches - one, a traditional (micro) that you need to find the co-ords for the second, a mystery cache? Seems a liitle strange to have to sign two log books to claim a find.

Alternatively, remove the log book from the micro and just leave the co-ords for the final cache inside it. Then use it as a standard multi-cache.

As there have been quite a few DNF's on the second cache, would it be worth doing a check to see if it's still there?

(perhaps having 2 log books has caused some confusion?)

Edited by Nediam

It's only polite to email them first as I've found that some who are new to caching accidentally give the whole game away "it was such a hoot to find we came all the way back to the car park to that weird looking hollow tree - see our picture" sort of thing. However, that said, sounds like the final stage needs a little tweaking.

Came accross some cachers the other day that always try to find the cache not only sand gps but also sans compass and map. They had managed to find over 25 caches using this method including three multis and some puzzle caches too. I couldn't believe it at first but they showed me the hidden verbal clues that litter most cache descritptions (without even decrypting the hint). I've tried it and it works.

Was chuffed to bits that we were the first to defeat their cunning plan. We have also started to back engineer suttle anti hints in case there are other "naked cachers" out there. That's naked as in chef/gardener, of course they're not nude that would be silly!

What's so silly about that? :laughing:

Nudecacher

Just a thought, but why do you have 2 logbooks for the cache? Why not create two caches - one, a traditional (micro) that you need to find the co-ords for the second, a mystery cache? Seems a liitle strange to have to sign two log books to claim a find.

Alternatively, remove the log book from the micro and just leave the co-ords for the final cache inside it. Then use it as a standard multi-cache.

As there have been quite a few DNF's on the second cache, would it be worth doing a check to see if it's still there?

(perhaps having 2 log books has caused some confusion?)

I tend to go along with this, why is there a log book, when it's not a cache itself, only part of a cache?

We did a multi recently, with a log book in the first part -surely it only needs to have the clue/s, and NO log, unless that part of the multi is a cache in it's own right? :laughing:

G

We recently did a multi but did not appreciate it was a multi on the day. We found the 35 mm container which had no information in as to a second stage. We assumed that it had been muggled and so added a piece of paper as a log sheet - logged it and then claimed a a find. It was only when someone else a week later stated that they could not find the second stage we realised it was a multi.

In this case I have left the log as found. Oh Lord forgive me for I know not what I do!!!

Peter