The Paper Trail

luckykoi

I've gone paperless but a lot of people print out the cache pages sometimes lots of them. I've got an idea for all those print outs. Why not put them in a cache. Find a cache with using a print out then go find another one and put the print out from the first cache in the next cache and so on. The next finder could use the print out and maybe save some paper, ink and money.

My wife was kind enough to make a folder in our file cabinet for me to keep them since they inevitably become covered with notes, sketches, ideas in the field, etc. while searching for a cache. Also handy for going back to a good cache to move a coin or TB without going through a multi again! :unsure:

I too like to keep them as history. Aftering finding a cache and have returned to the car I add my notes about the find on the cache page and it then goes into a page protector in a three ring binder. Back home I log the find or finds on GC using the notes from the page. Once I have printed the photos taken at the cache they are then added to the associated cache page. The binder goes with me on each outing as I have the pages for caches to be found in the cover pocket. It makes a good "brag book", also and easy way to intoduce the sport to other. My grandchildren love to page through it to see what grandpa has been up to, also they can look at the pages of the caches they helped me find. When this binder is full I will start another. At least for now I am not interested in going paperless, I had enough of that in business before I retired. You will notice I am not discounting it all together. :unsure:

Ed

I only print out multis and puzzles or caches with a lot of info on the page. For Traditionals I write down the info on the cache page in a notebook by hand. Tedius and time consuming? yes....a saving of paper and ink cartridges, most definitely. And the notebook fits in my pocket better than a print out.

I haven't printed out anything so far. Got a notebook for working on puzzles and jotting down notes, hints, etc. We also keep a small diary that every find goes into, including coordinents for multis, puzzles and the like.

The thought of all those pieces of paper make me shudder. Wayyy to much consumption when all I need is a couple of lines at the most to make a find.

I am looking into a PDA eventually though as summer travel season is coming. They are dime a dozen on many discount and auction sites.

I printed out the page for the Amboy Lava Flow Dino-Cache and drove off into the middle of nowhere california to find it. It's an awesome Cache. It wasn't untill I got there that I realized I should have brought a dinosaur along with me to leave.

Later in my trip, far away in Arizona, I bought a dino and wrapped it in the cache page. I wrote on the back, that this little dino wanted to go to Amboy. I left the wrapped dino in the Raven's Nest cache

Sure enough, somebody picked it up and brought it all the way to Tennesee and then back to Amboy. They posted about it in the logs.

It was like a spontaneous travelbug.

Barring any mistakes, ive printed out every cache page (front and back) on every cache that we have found. We record the date and any interesting details on those pages and then put them in a clear sleeve that goes into a three ring binder. My wife made the first binder really nice to keep them in and im now on binder #5. It's just something we like to keep a history of! :rolleyes:

My wife was kind enough to make a folder in our file cabinet for me to keep them since they inevitably become covered with notes, sketches, ideas in the field, etc. while searching for a cache. Also handy for going back to a good cache to move a coin or TB without going through a multi again! :blink:

I too like to keep them as history. Aftering finding a cache and have returned to the car I add my notes about the find on the cache page and it then goes into a page protector in a three ring binder. Back home I log the find or finds on GC using the notes from the page. Once I have printed the photos taken at the cache they are then added to the associated cache page. The binder goes with me on each outing as I have the pages for caches to be found in the cover pocket. It makes a good "brag book", also and easy way to intoduce the sport to other. My grandchildren love to page through it to see what grandpa has been up to, also they can look at the pages of the caches they helped me find. When this binder is full I will start another. At least for now I am not interested in going paperless, I had enough of that in business before I retired. You will notice I am not discounting it all together. :rolleyes:

Ed

:ph34r: We recently started caching as a family, and I decided to keep the printouts for my kids to be able to have a history of what we have accomplished. My daughter has asked to take the binder to show off at school, she is really starting to get into it and keeps her wanting to go back out instead of watching Sponge Bob Squarepants all evening

... I've got an idea for all those print outs. Why not put them in a cache.

This might be a bit of a problem because paper products become quite soggy in most containers.

We are mostly paperless now but still do some printouts for caching along a route. Haven't made that leap into the cache-along-a-route program suite yet. I have saved at least 95% of our paper caching pages in an old file cabinet. Must be close to 1000 geocaches and benchmarks represented in there which means it could be over 3000 individual pages. Yikes!

That is not counting the pages printed for caches never attempted. For a long desert trip in the pre pda era, where the exact route was to be determined during the drive, I would sometimes print out 150 cache pages in order to find 50 caches. For a known route it would be at least 2 printed for each 1 found. At least I saved those pages and printed new caches on the back sides.

I like paperless caching!

Edited by Team Sagefox

They sit in the car and slowly get spread out and kicked around - when they have a sufficient amount of muddy footprints on them I get around to cleaning out the car and they find thier way to the nearest dumpster. Unless they have notes on them from caching in which case I bring them inside, log them and set them somewhere on my desk until a later archelogical expedtion comes along to trash them.

Good thing I went mostly paperless a little over a year ago...... :)

:) We recently started caching as a family, and I decided to keep the printouts for my kids to be able to have a history of what we have accomplished. My daughter has asked to take the binder to show off at school, she is really starting to get into it and keeps her wanting to go back out instead of watching Sponge Bob Squarepants all evening

Better keep an eye on her around the next few caches or your next log entry might look like:

T: Barbie coin purse L: TV Remote (but kept batts for the GPSr). ktnxbye :):)

Fire kindling.

x2.

Camping season is coming up. :)

You could also run them through a shredder and use them for packing material. Or perhaps you might consider taking up origami. Making paper airplanes juust never gets old. Use the back for note pads?

Or the ever popular... recycle bin.

Edited by wandererrob

Before going paperless, we used to print out all the cache pages. They would be put in 3 ring binders labeled by county. That took up way too much room on the bookcases. I kept the good puzzle caches and the 16 stage multi that I was FTF, and the rest got recycled. Thank goodness for paperless.