Frs Radios - Does Anyone Use Them?

n003lb

I am a real noobi to caching. I just started last week, and I think I'm up to 6 finds now. I am really enjoying the hunt, and it's proving to be a great way to spend a lot of gas money :anibad:. The truck I am caching in averages about 10 mpg, 12 on a good day. At least I don't have to worry about getting stuck too much, good 4x4.

Anyhow, I just looked over the FAQ again and noticed the part about FRS radio channels. Does anyone actually use this? I was just thinking it might be interesting to actually talk with other cachers while looking for a cache. I know the radios have a deplorable range most of the time, but it still might be interesting.

I live just north of Wichita, KS. Most of my cache hunting is happening around the northern half of Wichita. Would it at all be worth the $30 investment in a decent FRS radio, or will I never hear a thing on it?

I was also considering the Garmin Rino 110 GPS Radio. Right now, I am using a Magellan Meridian Gold for cache hunting. After I started, I quickly discovered that you really don't need a fancy mapping GPSr for this, and the maps actually detract from the fun a little. It's a lot more challenging to find a cache when all you have is a distance and bearing readout. As such, I think the Rino 110 would work great and it has a built in FRS radio. I can get one on eBay for as little as $30 + s/h, only marginally more than a good dedicated FRS radio.

If you hunt with a partner they are nice, I have a pair and I always give one to whoever goes with me. THen if I decide to climb that big hill and they want to wait we can stay in touch. As for other cachers they are to few and far between here to have much chance of catching one on the air, but I'm sure in some areas it is pretty common.

Initially, I always carried an FRS whenever I was on a hunt. After a while I came to understand the limitations of these radios. The range is extremely short when in a wooded or mountainous area, and you have to be on the same channel as the other person or you'll never hear them. A cell phone and a good whistle are the best ideas... See this post for a little more info.FRS

Just my $.02

-Cracker

One of my friends is a HAM operator and has the same suggestion as BlueNinja. The FRS radios are good for very short range and when geo-caravaning down the road with other vehicles. With the terrain in my area, if you can't throw a rock and hit them, you ain't talking to them on the FRS radios.

Initially, I always carried an FRS whenever I was on a hunt. After a while I came to understand the limitations of these radios. The range is extremely short when in a wooded or mountainous area, and you have to be on the same channel as the other person or you'll never hear them. A cell phone and a good whistle are the best ideas... See this post for a little more info.FRS

Just my $.02

-Cracker

Cell phones are no good out in the middle of the mountains unless you're on the top and have a good view of a tower.

The cheap FRS is better than an out of range signalled cell phone and the higher end FRS will at least net you some better distance. For most purposes when hikers spread out at their own pace, this is more than sufficient to keep in touch with each other. If you get up high enough, that FRS can serve you just as good as a cell phone in emergency situations. We've had enough calls of help in this area via the FRS to attest to that where a hiker needed help down and was able to talk to a kid miles away. For their weight, it is an inexpensive backup to anything else you might carry.

If you're looking for something that will get a signal out for emergency help regardless of your position in the middle of nowhere, then the HAM is the best way to go.

OK, I know this doesn't really work for hiking, but what about CBs. My truck has the mountings for a CB radio, and I plan on installing a new one as soon as I can justify it. Does anyone out there use CBs? It may not be helpful for a rescue in the middle of the woods, but it sure would be nice if I get my truck stuck somewhere.

Of course, this is all probably moot for me, since I will probably not be caching anywhere out of my cell range for a while. Not many mountains around Wichita, lol.

I've always wanted a HAM license. I may look into that option. This might finally give me the reason to get it.

Yep, I just looked at ARRL. Looks like it won't be too hard to get the license. Only problem is the radio looks like it'll be a pretty penny. May have to wait until I have a bigger budget.

Several items in this post.

1. Forget CB for all the reasons above plus they are too big, too heavy and antenna is too big

2. If you want FRS go with the GMRS instead. You get all the FRS channels plus some extra and you get more power. GMRS requires sending a form to the FCC. Form comes with the radio. Piece of cake!! When selecting a radio FORGET the stated range on the package (bogus) just get the one with the most output power.

3. Ham radio has the best equipment with the most power. License is pretty easy to get.

4. Ham radios are not that expensive. There are tons of them used on ebay and at Ham fests.

Suggestion: find a local Ham club. Use the ARRL web site they will have member clubs and the contact information for them. They love to get new members and will help you get the license and find some good equipment. You might even find someone who will loan you one of their older radios. I do that all the time. You don't have to do it alone.

TLF

Extra Class license ab5on

Of course, this is all probably moot for me, since I will probably not be caching anywhere out of my cell range for a while. Not many mountains around Wichita, lol.

I was about to say, have you thought about semaphores? I mean, we're talking about Kansas here, where in order to be out of sight you have to leave the state.

Before somebody in Kansas takes offense, I'm just kidding.

Well, I have no trouble using the GMRS of my Rino 130. its range 5mi line of sight, in a tail wind, is fine for my needs of communicating with my geocaching buddies. also, it is compatible with my Motorollas that i give to my kids when were kicking up the brush. A 2meter does make sense for longer distance communication, but its not the only option. As for cross talk, its not a serious problem, and if get to be, Ill find another channel that we have agrred on.The 130 uses both FRS and GMRS (licensing is waived for this unit ) for an extra dime, they made the 530 which has an alleged 18 mile range.

Good luck on your choices.

BTW, GMRS units broadcasting , and any other transmitter for that matter, have an insatiable appetite for batteries. Food for thought.

Portable ham radio:

Cost?

Weight?

Size?

Price?

Cost: If you mean fees, ~14 bucks to take the test. That's it.

Weight: About the same as a GPSr.

Size: Ditto.

Price: Starting around $100 New, Like GPSr you pay for bells & whistles but even a basic unit will have the features that you need.