Logging Multiple Coins Out Of A Cache

rojeel

I am taking my coins to their first event. I know I can easily drop all of them into the cache, but it looks like I have to pick them all up individually? Is there a way to pick them all back up at once, or maybe in groups to reduce logs? I have about 50 coins. I may have to take a partial set to the event if I don't see an easier way.

Also:

To log the coin, they will have to see the coin, copy the number, and then log it out of the cache. Then the next person grabs it from them, and so on until I reclaim them after (I am thinking) 2 weeks, to allow everyone the opportunity to log their find.

I have heard that making a sheet for them to take home, is generally appreciated, but (IMO), you wouldn't necessarily have to see any coins, you would just have to get the sheets. So I am opting (this time) for them to look at those tiny numbers. Then I know they actually saw the coin.

Any other constructive suggestions from coin owners, or loggers to improve my thinking? :mellow:

Thanks

Tell people to grab from one another rather than dropping in/out of an event. Event owners (I've been one) might get annoyed and all the email related to picking up and grabbing.

RE: sheets with numbers, pay attention to who's looking at the coins and give it to them, but don't just hand out random sheets of paper. It will take forever for people to write down the numbers if you have a lot of coins. I guess there are many opinions on this one but I usually use a sheet of numbers, but then again, I haven't been to an event w/ my coins either. Sigh, I don't know.

I wish there was a way to grab a group of coins. It would make retreiving them alot easier (speaking of which I need to do.)

I like the idea of dropping them into the event......bringing sheets of paper with you geocoin info on them. I aslo have notes in my geocoin pages that state that people can not grab them out of my hands they can grab them from events and from other people....I dont know what purpose it serves but my thought was to eliminate sharing my geocoin #s with others that really never saw them.....

I have only been to one event with my coins and I just took a handful and cut out the specific ones that I was taking.. This reason is because if most people get all of them at the first event then what is left for the next (that and saves weight) although I am considering taking all my coins from now on.....(this would be the angel and devil inside me fighting)......

anyways......I do not know of any other way then to grab each one back individually.....wait about a aweek and then just start grabbin them back from people.......it is time consuming (also another good reason for not taking all of them)......I think by putting it in the event it also gets mileage then everyone else grabs that coins and then you take them back from hopefully the last person.....

Which is another reason I guess that I put that people can not take them out of my hands is once I take them back I dont want to take them back again......hopefully everyone hurrys and logs them......

maybe that should be a suggestion for Groundspeak........can they create where the owner of the coins can do a select and grab (more then one at a time) since at times I can see this getting very time consuming...

Ok so now that I have rambled..........Good luck and hopefully I somewhere in here is an answer to your questions........

I wish we could grab all owned coins in one fail swoop also, but there is no way!

A series of grabbing is the way to go, for everyone logging that way both you and the event owner get fewer emails.

We just took our 21 coins to an event Sat and it was still quite a few emails! We made a sheet for everyone, it was at the end of our binder so after they saw the coins they could just grab a sheet if they wanted to. The 'Icon Ho!' TB has a sheet for the numbers it just takes too long for each person to write all those little numbers down. Also you know whether the characters are 0 or O; 8 or B, 2 or Z and the sheet helps with that too.

I think that you should make a sheet of numbers for the event host, and let the others fend for themselves... :mellow:

Seriously though, I think that the sheet at the end of the book (don't mention the sheet, just let people find it) would be helpful for people who have trouble copying down those tiny numbers, and might reduce the chance of (God forbid) any of your coins walking away during the event (because you can levae them in the book.

Just my $0.02

Jamie

Of course you will quite afew annoyed people that had been writing them down and then get to the back and find the sheet with all there...

I don't participate in this practice of coin logging, but for those that do, I would suggest as one mentioned earlier... see who is looking through them and give them a sheet of the numbers... or if you see someone start to write them down, stop them and give them the sheet.

Don't forget to list what coin has which number also for those that may just be looking for a specific icon on their list.

I am up over 100 trackable coins right now. Unfortunately there is no easy to way to deal with this. One good thing is that the TB number is now displayed for the owner on the TB page, so you can at least copy and paste the number instead of manually typing it in. All I can say is, be prepared to spend at least an hour grabbing your coins back at some point. After that you will have the privilege of deleting all of the owner emails that accompany the logs.

Yeah it is a pain, but what good is collecting the coins if you cannot share them with everyone?

First things first. This is my 100th post :mellow::ph34r::P:lol::D

Nearly 2 years, and only 100 posts. I guess I don't have much to say after all. :ph34r:

Thanks for your help.

I have a sheet that has Coin Name, Coin Number, Trackable (yes/no), Track at, and Icon columns. All 74 of my coins are listed, 46 are GC.com trackable.

The coins are in 2 books. They are placed, so you can see both sides of the coin by turning pages, so there should be no need to handle them.

I will probably bring one book to this event. That way you would have to meet me at another event and get the next set. Of course if you come to my event in October (you know who you are :P ), you could log the whole set.

I have added in each of my Geocoin's Current Goals, "No need to "put it back" - just hang onto it until the next person grabs it!"

I'm not sure that anyone actually reads that, but as far as who has "possession" I just let whoever logs it last "keep" it until I get to the next event.

Here's one that hasn't even been to an event yet...

SilverMarc's Groundhog Day Geocoin

--Marc

February 13, 2006 @ 8:33 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

The last event I went to there were several large coin collections there.

I was encouraged by the event organizer to make a list of tracking numbers of all the coins I brought.

He actually took my coins and made up a full 30 copies of the tracking numbers list for me (Thanks WCNUT!)

Anyone who came and looked at the sheets (clear plastic double sided) that I had the coins in, I gave them a paper copied list of all the tracking numbers. I did find out that not all who came to the event (some 150 - 200 people) luckily didn't get or want to log the coins. I'm always glad to share the list of tracking numbers with anyone I meet on the trail or out and about.