New Containers

Segerguy

I was out GeoCaching the other day and drove by an old store that sells all kinds of goodies so I decided to stop and see if I could find anything interesting for caching. In front of the store in a big bin they had these containers. See the link below. I think they are some sort of Military artillary shell housing. They are completely waterproof. I put paper towels in them and floated them in the pool for the weekend, dry as a bone. They I got camafloudge paint and painted them up. It was fun! Now i JUST have to find a place to hide them :anicute:

Here is the link:

http://community.webshots.com/album/547421087aBKSMv

I was out GeoCaching the other day and drove by an old store that sells all kinds of goodies so I decided to stop and see if I could find anything interesting for caching. In front of the store in a big bin they had these containers. See the link below. I think they are some sort of Military artillary shell housing. They are completely waterproof. I put paper towels in them and floated them in the pool for the weekend, dry as a bone. They I got camafloudge paint and painted them up. It was fun! Now i JUST have to find a place to hide them :anicute:

Here is the link:

VERY cool, but for the love of geocaching, PLEASE CLEARLY LABEL THEM AS GEOCACHES! I can see a bomb squad getting a bit concerned.

Here is the link:

VERY cool, but for the love of geocaching, PLEASE CLEARLY LABEL THEM AS GEOCACHES! I can see a bomb squad getting a bit concerned.

Oh yes, they will be cleary marked with the GeoCache Message stenciled on them.

These are mortar tubes, used to house mortar shells before they're fired off. They have a rubber O ring to keep the water out if I remember correctly. They would make great cache containers, however my local army surplus store usually doesn't have any on hand. I've looked around for them locally with no success. One alternative I've found is welding rod holders, from either Lowes or Home Depot. About the same size, and yes, even with a rubber O ring! The price is about $10 each though, and they're usually red or some other bad-for-caching color though. But a little paint fixes all that.

1114812_200.JPG

That picture was from this cache.

By the way, when the o-ring breaks, the top of the container does not want to stay sealed, and it is then only water resistant if it is standing straight up. It took only a few visits to break the strap that acts as a carrying handle. It took about a year or 50 visits to break the o-ring.

Edited by cachew nut

Not one, but two red sports cars. I drool. Which one for your cachemobile?

Yea, I'm one lucky guy! ;) They're British. The one closest up in the picture is a 1974 MGB Roadster and the farthest away is a 1973 Triumph TR6. I use them both for caching.

It's neat to see new technology (GPSr) and older (nuts and bolts,no computer engines) work together. Life is good! :D

Nice container Fishingdude. Do I see a strap on it? How did you attach it without putting a hole in the container? Or did you put a hole and then seal it? What did you seal it with?

We found a container recently where the owner attached a hook to the top in order to hang the container from a tree. Well the cache was a little wet inside and we figure the water must leak from where he attached the hook. He should have put some epoxy or caulking around the area where the hook was attached. We'd like to do something similar and want to know how to make it water tight.

We'd like to do something similar and want to know how to make it water tight.

All you need to do to make it watertight is use pvc cement to glue the ends on. EVERYTHING you need is at your local hardware store in the plumbing section. Make sure you get the purple primer as well.

You need:

• Length of pvc pipe (you can cut this to size with almost any saw)
  • Endcap for whatever size pipe you got
  • "cleanout" encap (this is the screw-out type of cap)
  • pvc cement
  • pvc primer (purple stuff)

Instructions:

1. Cut the pipe to length with a saw. Try your best to make a square cut
  2. Clear te "sawdust" out of the pipe
  3. remove any labels on the pipe that are near the ends so they don't interfere with the glue.
  4. The purple primer can has a wand built into the cap, brush around the end of the pipe. You are painting a purple band about an inch wide around the circumference of the pipe, right at the end
  5. Re-dip the wand an repeat the painting on the inside of the cap.
  6. Allow both to dry
  7. Mimic the last steps using the cement. Go right over the primer and spread a tin uniform layer. Do it on the pipe and on the inside of the cap.
  8. Press the parts together immediately, using a twisting motion. Only twist one way, not back and forth.
  9. Make sure you have fully seated the cap on the pipe and hold it in place for about 30sec to a minute. The cap will want to pop off the pipe. Hold it on until it is stable.
  10. Repeat the process for the cleanout end. You should remove the center section of the cleanout end before you do this.
  11. After the cement has hardened, you can screw the cleanout back in place
  12. paint, mark well, and place

I was out GeoCaching the other day and drove by an old store that sells all kinds of goodies so I decided to stop and see if I could find anything interesting for caching. In front of the store in a big bin they had these containers. See the link below. I think they are some sort of Military artillary shell housing. They are completely waterproof. I put paper towels in them and floated them in the pool for the weekend, dry as a bone. They I got camafloudge paint and painted them up. It was fun! Now i JUST have to find a place to hide them :)

Here is the link:

They look similiar to what are local surplus sells as "dragon tubes". The really neat thing about them is that they have a ratchet that allows you to unscrew them easily in freezing temps which is a huge problem with home made PVC tube containers. They are just the thing for narrow hollow tree hides. I think they sell for around 3 bucks each.

I was out GeoCaching the other day and drove by an old store that sells all kinds of goodies so I decided to stop and see if I could find anything interesting for caching. In front of the store in a big bin they had these containers. See the link below. I think they are some sort of Military artillary shell housing. They are completely waterproof. I put paper towels in them and floated them in the pool for the weekend, dry as a bone. They I got camafloudge paint and painted them up. It was fun! Now i JUST have to find a place to hide them :ph34r:

Here is the link:

Yes, these are great, I think I will get one, paint it metal grey in color, drill a hole in the end, run a red and black wire out the hole and place it near a railroad bridge... :huh:

Sorry, but I think these are just a little too "terroristic" for the general population. Ammo cans are common.

The public is used to seeing them ,but these ?????

If placed in remote areas (non-terrorist target areas) then maybe.. but, seem lethal like amilitary shell casing or a dummy hand grenade.

I was out GeoCaching the other day and drove by an old store that sells all kinds of goodies so I decided to stop and see if I could find anything interesting for caching. In front of the store in a big bin they had these containers. See the link below. I think they are some sort of Military artillary shell housing. They are completely waterproof. I put paper towels in them and floated them in the pool for the weekend, dry as a bone. They I got camafloudge paint and painted them up. It was fun! Now i JUST have to find a place to hide them :ph34r:

Here is the link:

Yes, these are great, I think I will get one, paint it metal grey in color, drill a hole in the end, run a red and black wire out the hole and place it near a railroad bridge... :huh:

Sorry, but I think these are just a little too "terroristic" for the general population. Ammo cans are common.

The public is used to seeing them ,but these ?????

If placed in remote areas (non-terrorist target areas) then maybe.. but, seem lethal like amilitary shell casing or a dummy hand grenade.

Point well taken, but I have no intentions of planting "near a railroad bridge with red and black wires attached to them. I don't know what made you think I would. You must not have read then entire thread where I mentioned they would be clearly marked with the Geocaching verbage on them or you must not have seen the pictures of other cachers who used these and had good feedback from their finders on the log sheets. These containers will be well hidden in tree stumps, hillsides and the likes in wilderness areas. A railroad bridge....geez!