So What Do You Think?

Erm, pardon? It was broken, they've fixed it. The search feature works now.

They were using an older version of the software and have updated to a more recent version.

... i think it's still broken!! how come this thread has 9 replies (10 including this one) but 0 views??

... have just viewed the "Time For Lordelph" thread, refreshed the page and the view count didn't change ... strange?! :D;)

I do like the idea that if you click on all the posts that you wish to quote, and then go to the bottom of the page and click reply you get all the quotes seperately on one post, which you can enter your text within each one.

To quote just one person, just click on reply at the bottom of that post and it will quote the post as before.

I can't get rid of ll the unread tabs though. that is a bit of a nuisance at the moment, but I am sure it will get sorted.

They were using an older version of the software and have updated to a more recent version.

... i think it's still broken!! how come this thread has 9 replies (10 including this one) but 0 views??

... have just viewed the "Time For Lordelph" thread, refreshed the page and the view count didn't change ... strange?! :D;)

.... and this is a problem because ....? ? ?

I disagree. The BB code buttons now work correctly with FireFox, the once broken search feature has been improved, there are new way to browse the forum, new ways to post. There are a lot of new features, and a few tweaks that need to be made. They just turned over the new leaf, give them time to make the final adjustments. You all can help by constructively posting points of the system that aren't fully up just yet, that they might have missed during their efforts to make the forum software work with their setup. They apparently have a lot of stuff behind the scenes that needs to be modified. I give them an 'A' for effort, and an 'A' for extra features! A point or two off here and there for missing items, but none are deal breakers for me. They'll get them nailed down.

I can't get rid of ll the unread tabs though. that is a bit of a nuisance at the moment, but I am sure it will get sorted.

I may in fact take this comment back, as it appears that if you don't read the thread, it stays as unread until you read it.

May be a nuisance to start with, but once you have browsed the forum, it should start to show the unread topics up the top and all the ones that are read with no new posts, will start to filter down.

I think that makes sense, either that or it still doesn't work ;):D

the once broken search feature has been improved,

The question is - Was the search feature actually broken? or was it actually what it said it was and you were not allowed to use this feature, not difficult to stop everyone using it, and say it is broken, so that within a month you can update the whole forum and say it's better and we have now fixed the broken search feature.

Cynic - Probably?

Coincidence - Maybe?

Well i can get into these forums via my bookmarked link but not from the forum button on the main GC.com page.

This could be a big problem for anyone who hasn't bookmarked these forums.

Just tried this and I have got the same problem.

It also appears that if you were the last person to post onto a particular thread, that it merges your post together. Don't know if it will do it just now, but my post were I have quoted New England n00b and Cave Troll and Eeyore were in fact 2 seperate posts, but they are now merged??

I think I like that?

The search feature was actually disabled because it was causing massive timeouts in the forum. As the number of posts grew, the search algorythm was progressively less efficient and subsequently hosed the forums for a lot of peope (myself included). Once Jeremy & Co. disabled it, the timeouts effectively stopped.

The new forum software is supposed to have a much improved search algorythm.

Sig lines are a bit weird, particularly if you have more than one line or links to websites.

You have to be logged in to see them and your Avatar ;)

It does appear to be slow at the moment but maybe it's just a bit of teething trouble.

I like the new look though, and the extra optins at the top of the post creation box are useful

Edited by Nediam

The search feature was actually disabled because it was causing massive timeouts in the forum. As the number of posts grew, the search algorythm was progressively less efficient and subsequently hosed the forums for a lot of peope (myself included). Once Jeremy & Co. disabled it, the timeouts effectively stopped.

The new forum software is supposed to have a much improved search algorythm.

Thanks for that explanation. Although I didn't know why, I did have the feeling that they had been disabled and weren't just broken.

I don't wish to sound negative, but every time something changes on the forum people feel obliged to comment on it - when the Off Topic thread was moved slighty up the page people twittered on about how inconvenient/awkward/different it was!

In two weeks time you won't notice anything different and all the little bugs will have been ironed out - just be patient folks... ;)

For the visually challenged its a cleaner presentation, but I preferred the old 'quotes' greyout - dont like the new style.

We will all get used to it I expect, functionally its similar but as ever the problem with change is that one has to relearn one's way around. If I have any negative issue it is that it seems to be a slower mode of presentation.

I'm getting used to it - but is it my imagination as I thought earlier in the day our geocaching number was appearing under the date of our registration under our avatars, and its not there now!? :D

Apparently it was. It has been fixed though. The 'Missing' thread is the geocaching.com website forum has a little info on that one...

This thread, near the bottom I think

it appears that if you don't read the thread, it stays as unread until you read it.

HH,

Sorry, that one tickled me, as it came across as a complaint! :blink: Have a Bruichladdich on me!

HH

No, not a complaint I actually like this idea. Before, after reading a few unread threads the system would clear itself, and you had to manually search for the unread threads, this way is much better, and I hope that it stays like it.

Edited by Haggis Hunter
No, not a complaint I actually like this idea. Before, after reading a few unread threads the system would clear itself, and you had to manually search for the unread threads, this way is much better, and I hope that it stays like it.

If you want to mark all threads as read you click on Forum Options in the top right hand corner and select either the first or second option.

If you want to mark all threads as read you click on Forum Options in the top right hand corner and select either the first or second option.

That's a good tip, and allows you to clean up your page when you want it done.