Obnoxious Tb Log

It’s impossible to be prejudicial against a prejudicial organization!

Wrong! Whilst your perusing Wikipedia for the definition of "bigot", look up "intolerance". You ask for tolerance in your gay rights stance, yet you refuse to offer tolerance of the stance made by BSA. Like it or not, friend, that behavior is definitively bigoted. I happen to disagree with the stance taken by BSA against homosexuals, but I recognize their right to feel that way. You want to promote your anti-BSA agenda at the local level by posting a negative log on a TB owned by 10 year olds, when you should be taking this fight to the national level where the decision was made to prevent openly gay members.

If the Girl Scouts organization initiated a rule which I strongly disagreed with, would it be acceptable for me to find a bunch of little girls selling their cookies and berate them for it? Of course not. It would be rude. I've tried to live my life by the following creed; "The only true sin is unnecessarily hurting another being. Everything else is invented nonsense". Your actions would certainly qualify as a sin in my book.

An' it harm none, do as thy wish.

I still have the travel bug and will be placing it soon, as always intended, as I’ve said from the very beginning...

As soon as tomorrow.

For the record: I never once said, "stickmonkey, I am keeping your TB." I never once said, "I am going to throw away your travel bug unless you..." or anything LIKE that.

I don't know about anyone else (stickmonkey included) but I read your log as I got it in my email, as the bug is on my watchlist. I read it before stickmonkey even placed his reply. In your log you said something to the effect of "I will remand this bug to a dark corner". This, to me, is the part that hinted that you didn't intend to move it along anytime soon, if at all. In disbelief, I pasted your reply to my caching partner over IM, and he read the same into it. Even if you never expressly said it in those words, it appeared as if you were just going to toss it aside and if you got around to it, maybe you'd set it free, maybe you wouldn't. I thought maybe I was reading it wrong, but I think stickmonkey (and possibly others) read it that way too. I never saw the part in your log where you said "even if I don't agree with the philosphy behind this TB I will move it along anyway because it's part of the game". It was all very ambiguous and just going by your original log without all the replies or quotes by stickmonkey, things did not look good for the bug.

It’s impossible to be prejudicial against a prejudicial organization! That’s like saying that it’s not okay to dislike the Klan. Yes, you all know that I love to make that comparison; to me it holds a perfect fit. After all, they had a very firm set of ‘standards’ against African Americans fifty years ago (and it was okay for them to do that?!) - much as the BSA now has against gays.

The Klan's whole purpose was/is to terrorize blacks. The purpose of the the BSA is to terrorize gays? Disqualifying an openly gay person from a position as Scoutmaster is equivalent to cross-burning and murder? These sorts of comparisons don't help you win hearts and minds--in fact, they repulse people who are otherwise inclined to be sympathetic to your cause.

Furthermore, bringing a sensitive political/cultural matter into a game, a recreational activity that people engage in as an escape from the complexities of real life, is boorish. Again, not productive if your purpose is to further the cause of gay rights.

GeoMaine if you were any kind of an adult you just would not do this to kids as far as I'm concerned you are against kids and not only against the BSA because if you were just against the BSA you'd have not have logged the TB as stated. It also takes tolerance of other things as well as someone being tolerant of gay rights to get along so even if you are against the BSA then you should just leave it at that and if you have problems with the BSA then take it up with them and not the kids that are involved. I'm really disappointed here and as an adult you have to act like that what a waste of everyones time and heartaches because you had to discrimanate against some kids that were in the boys scouts. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scotty: C'mon, ye lazy bag o' bones, move! (*thwack* *thwack)

Kirk: Are you trying hard enough, Scotty?

Scotty: (*whack* *WHACK*) Aye, I'm givin' it all I've goot, Cap'n!

Kirk: Would a bigger stick help?

Spock: Fascinating, Captain. Repetitively flagellating a deceased equine does not impart responsiveness.

Kirk: Spock, ... could you ... speak ... any ... less clearly? Bones, is this horse sleeping or something?

Bones: It's worse than that - it's ____ (*), Jim.

(*) The challenge for our viewers at home: fill in the blank.

Sure, Geomaine never said "I am not releasing this bug", however the assumption can certainly be made to that effect from 2 coments.

#1 Following my first deletion of her log, she made the following comment and I am paraphrasing "My log must have hit close to home for Stickmonkey....hmmm, what to do." Certainly would make you wonder if she was going to release the TB.

#2 The second comment was more convincing when she stated "If you leave up my orginal log for 2 weeks, I will then release the bug" Basic logic would tell you if the log gets deleted, then she won't release the bug.

Again, my issue was not with her keeping the bug but with the comment.

blah blah blah

Whatever.

Travel bug logs are no place to advance your agenda. 10-year old boys don't have to know about glaad.org, nor do they need to be told that their beloved organization is homophobic. You hinted at hiding the TB in a dark corner, that sounds like you are planning on stealing it. I have no doubt you would had this forum not been posted. The very fact that you posted what you did, insulting the BSA and bringing up all your issues on the travel bug page instead of just a quick note that you found the bug is dispicable. Advance your agenda elsewhere.

Sure, Geomaine never said "I am not releasing this bug", however the assumption can certainly be made to that effect from 2 coments.

#1 Following my first deletion of her log, she made the following comment and I am paraphrasing "My log must have hit close to home for Stickmonkey....hmmm, what to do." Certainly would make you wonder if she was going to release the TB.

#2 The second comment was more convincing when she stated "If you leave up my orginal log for 2 weeks, I will then release the bug" Basic logic would tell you if the log gets deleted, then she won't release the bug.

Again, my issue was not with her keeping the bug but with the comment.

Well silly me. I would have reached the same conclusion. B)

I deliberately chose to ignore the BSA issues on this incident, since the local media covered it very well when it was a hot topic.

I had issues with how GeoMaine decided to deliver her passionate message. Not very convincing, if you ask me. Worse yet, she did a total disservice to her cause, since it'll be easier for people to stereotype "anti-BSA extremists" now, much like how we stereotype "tree hugging environmentalist" and "gun-toting anti-abortionist". Congratulations. B)

I'm glad you decided to join in the forums and speak your mind. The forums is a much better place to speak your mind. Posting your personal agendas on a game piece page is not the right place. To summarize...Forums = good place, Travel bug page = not a good place.

I would like to start by saying that I have read many positive replies in the forum. People are beginning to understand that the BSA is not the organization that it needs to be… That more and more of us want it to be. I think like you, only I am thinking MORE like you. I am a very passionate person and feel that something simply has to be done. NOW.

You don't get it. It doesn't matter to the BSA what non-members think it should be. They are like an exclusive club with their own creed and laws, it's part of their identity. They probably don't care what you want them to be. They don't want you. But did you think posting crap like "I made the travel bug stare at the glaad website for an hour" on a travel bug page, where 10 year olds are playing an innocent game, is going to make the BSA take notice and change because of it? I think you do your cause more harm than good.

For the record: I never once said, "stickmonkey, I am keeping your TB." I never once said, "I am going to throw away your travel bug unless you..." or anything LIKE that.

This is really a non-issue. He said that he is releasing a different one. He doesn't care if you release it or keep it. He already stated that what bothered him was your log, not you keeping the travel bug.

My feelings for the BSA are a fair cry from unique. There are hundreds of thousands of people that feel the same way about the BSA as I do. Some more tolerate, some even less tolerant than myself.

Again, unless these hundred thousand are members, it matters little what they think. If the hundred thousand made the same post as you did to stickmonkey's travel bug page, I doubt the BSA would change their rules.

Yours is a cry for help, really. Get help. You want everyone to change because you are different? Can't you just be happy with who you are? It's not like the BSA is unique here. Your community is just as guilty as the BSA. I can't count the numerous times, when walking in some parts of the city, having fingers pointed at me and hearing the pejorative "breeder" being used to describe me, or being asked what I want and what do I think I'm doing there. So clean your own house first before expecting everyone to change for you. BTW, your mother was a breeder! But that's neither here nor there, everyone has the inherent right to be who God made them to be. I don't fault you for not accepting me because I'm different, even if I accept you for who you are. I just wish you were more comfortable in your own skin.

I’d love to see the BSA survive, only as a much more tolerant organization, much like the 4H is now.

Again, irrelevant. Tell it to the BSA. Leave the kids alone.

Many have informed me that a TB log (or this forum) is not the correct place to discuss such things.

I think the TB log is not the right place. I think the forum is the right pace, but probably better in the TB forum or Off-Topic forum.

By this, here is what I meant… and he knew this. He has a gay friend. He has a gay co-worker. He has a gay family member. By odds alone, it’s virtually guaranteed. By enrolling and promoting the BSA, he is slapping each one of those people in the face, intentional or not. To give himself something to do with his boys on the weekends and enjoy the company of adults? Seems like a high price to pay to me.

No one is slapping anyone else. He's enrolling his son in a program that builds his son's character in a way that aligns with his own feelings on character building. The friends and co-workers can raise their sons however they feel. If they don't agree with the scouts ideals, why would they enroll their kids? I really think you are putting too much thought into this. The scouts do not meet to discuss ways to screw anyone or slap anyone. To think that it's all about you really shows that this is a cry for help, or maybe just attention. Honestly, they really don't meet to talk about you, your friends, or your co-workers. You are like an annoying buzz to them, they have things to do to occupy their time without having to think about you.

Perhaps I have been a bit too adamant about suggesting that the BSA is actively teaching prejudice. They are not.

Thank you. This must have been hard for you to type, so it means all that much more.

All I see is the dog tag. If there isn’t a mission sheet with the TB, I take it. Little did I know that this TB had a small mission statement laminated on the BACK of the item… At least, until I got it home. It is very clearly promoting boyscouting and geocaching at the same time. It is not just a compass with a tag. The TB owner very specifically tied this TB to the Boy scouts.

You say that you didn't see the mission statement, that would then be YOUR mistake, wouldn't it? Or did the scouts pull a trick on you again? Let's take a look at the goals, as quoted from the page. Feel free to substitute each instance of scouts with some other group that is dear to you, and tell me if we should then go and bash the group on the travel bug page:

Current GOAL: My mission is to meet other Boy Scouts across the country and hopefully introduce new Boy Scouts to Geocaching.

About this item:

This travel bug was released when I took my sons Scout Den geocaching for the first time. My son and I have been Geocaching for about 6 months and we have now hopefully recruited some new geocachers. Please take lots of pictures along the way.

Obviously, my anger was NEVER directed at the ten-year-old boys. After all, they don’t know any better. My anger was solely directed at stickmonkey; mostly for the deletion of my log and partly for what I considered the continuation of a horrible organization. Is it his prerogative to enroll his kids? Of course. Is it within my right to speak my mind to an adult who is obviously active in the BSA? As long as this remains America, ALL of us have that right, and most of you have exercised that same right to speak to me about your own personal beliefs as well.

Right, it never occured to you that that a bug released by ten year olds would be reading you sputum. It made you angry? Boo hoo. Man up. Your right to jump up and down and flail your arms about stops when your hands get too close to my face. You have a brain, learn how to use it.

GeoMaine, if you want to debate about the BSA and their position, why not just start a topic in Off Topic? You can then sound off all you want--and so can everyone else--without involving the kids, confiscating someone else's property, or damaging your own reputation?

Scotty: C'mon, ye lazy bag o' bones, move! (*thwack* *thwack)

Kirk: Are you trying hard enough, Scotty?

Scotty: (*whack* *WHACK*) Aye, I'm givin' it all I've goot, Cap'n!

Kirk: Would a bigger stick help?

Spock: Fascinating, Captain. Repetitively flagellating a deceased equine does not impart responsiveness.

Kirk: Spock, ... could you ... speak ... any ... less clearly? Bones, is this horse sleeping or something?

Bones: It's worse than that - it's ____ (*), Jim.

(*) The challenge for our viewers at home: fill in the blank.

I would say that this comment is starting to speak the truth. I think the debate on this subject has been exhausted. I thank everyone for their support. As I know Geomaine will be reading this thread, just everyone respond with just a 1 word answer, Right or Wrong (Geomaines log), and then I will close this thread.

Happy caching to all.

wrong!