How Accurate Was Your Gps Today?

kbootb

We had one of those good days today. 4 caches, each time walked straight to it, coords spot on, no more than 60 seconds working out the exact spot.

The downside -. Usually I am tech man, and the female half bounds on ahead while I'm waiting for the arrow etc and finds is by good old bloodhound tactics.

So today I insisted that she has the GPS in order to redress the balance. But today the arrow was playing ball and she led us straight there everytime. So she can't see what all the fuss is about.

The batteries didn't die.... it didn't do the old Garmin trick of turning itself off... the satellites never did their hiding trick.

We managed to yomp in a 2 mile straight line through the forest without ever getting lead into inpenetrable brambles or mud so thick you can't get through, we just sailed on through the beech trees.

Argh!

We had one of those good days today. 4 caches, each time walked straight to it, coords spot on, no more than 60 seconds working out the exact spot.

The downside -. Usually I am tech man, and the female half bounds on ahead while I'm waiting for the arrow etc and finds is by good old bloodhound tactics.

So today I insisted that she has the GPS in order to redress the balance. But today the arrow was playing ball and she led us straight there everytime. So she can't see what all the fuss is about.

The batteries didn't die.... it didn't do the old Garmin trick of turning itself off... the satellites never did their hiding trick.

We managed to yomp in a 2 mile straight line through the forest without ever getting lead into inpenetrable brambles or mud so thick you can't get through, we just sailed on through the beech trees.

Argh!

Was it your birthday then? :D

Argh!

When I go out with Gary, we always find the cache, yet if Gary goes out on his own.....! No luck today dear, is his reply on returning home.

It's the womans touch you know! :D

Gary recons its the extra signal women get from the wire in their underwire bras! B)B)B)

Well, mine took so long to get a position fix when I first turned it on today, despite being out in the open and having an excellent constellation, that I turned it off and on again. It still took an age to get a fix. Ten minutes later, at the first stage of the multi we were doing, under only light tree cover, it was way off at first, and constantly changing its mind, then eventually it seemed to settle down. After that it was fine.

The batteries were freshly charged, the constellation was good, it had been in recent use not far away from the location, and when I first turned it on there wasn't a tree in sight, so I've no idea why it was so reluctant to co-operate at first.

Funny someone should ask about accuracy but.... on Sunday 22nd we were out planning a new cache location. I noticed my Vista C compass needle kept getting 'stuck'. As I walked back and forwards past the planned hiding place to get an accurate reading as I turned round the needle didn't! It took 30 seconds or so before it moved. Most unusual. With the compass turned on the needle was fine, but just using the GPS signal it wasn't. Not seen that before nor since. The location was clear of obstructions and there were enough sats visible. Perhaps the USA is doing something...

Chris

Well, mine took so long to get a position fix when I first turned it on today, despite being out in the open and having an excellent constellation, that I turned it off and on again. It still took an age to get a fix. from the location, and when I first turned it on there wasn't a tree in sight, so I've no idea why it was so reluctant to co-operate at first.

I have been having problems for the last few weeks,It started 3 weeks ago at Croxdale woods cache, I never got a signal at all, clear skies and good batts installed. I kept getting the "are you indoors massage.the next cache was 10 miles away and still no signal in that area. it wasn't until I moved 20 miles west that I finally got some response from the gps. so for 2 hours I had no a singal reading. I have just switched it on at home and getting nothing again. and it's clearish sky and 10 deg above. I have just set my car sat nav up and thats getting nothing. the car sat is normally showing about 8 sats after 1 min regardless of weather conditions.So it must be something in the air.

Nige

Not very good at all today, kept overshooting the hiding place and once enroute between caches lost it altogether even though it was showing at least six sats full strength. The display was about six miles behind me. Had to restart a couple of times today so maybe its time to give it a total reset and initialise again.