Why Would I Want Gsak When I Have Mapsource?

Gsak works to filter and merge the gpx files, both for just to look at, and to upload to a GPSr. You can do this to files as you create and use them, or just continuously dump files into it make a sort of offline database. You can also use it to build the html for plucker so it can be loaded to a palm.

Mapsource products, display the waypoints (also tracks and routes if you have any) in file on whatever maps it has, I think it also allows you to send the waypoints to your gpsr. Oh, and of course you can send the maps to the gpsr.

The two products compliment each other very nicely. yes you can load PQ's directly into mapsource but that is a little messy. I currently have 1800+ caches listed in Gsak, within the program I can search by difficulty, location, route, and a wide variety of other aspects. As well I can look at the cache pages when I am on the road ( an a laptop) and export my search results and other bits to my PDA.

I love mapsource for its ability to show me where the caches are in geographic relation to one another, but I can't read the logs or cache notes in mapsource, so I use both.

if you already have mapsource the extra couple of dollars to do the gsakl thing is a nice match. (or just use the nag version for free

bwmick

Edited by bwmick

Personally, I would recommend GSAK only if you use or plan to use a PDA for caching. Otherwise, I would be satisfied with MapSource and EasyGps.

A nice feature of GSAK is creating files for 18 different files including, MapSource, MapSend, Natl Geographic TOPO, GPX/LOC, etc... Go to File-Export-xxxxx.

I've never tried downloading waypoints from GSAK to my 60CS 'cause that's not my routine. I use EasyGPS to download into the GPS 'cause it's easier to enter and download hints into the GPS. I use GSAK to manage PQs, download files for my PDA, and convert files for MapSource.

The two pieces of software are totally different. If you have Mapsource, then you probably know what it is for. It does not manage any cache data; GSAK manages geocache data and can generally deal with a wide variety of different devices (PDAs, GPSrs, PPC, etc) and other software (other mapping programs). If all you ever do is take all the contents of your gpx files and load the coordinates into a GPSr (and do nothing else) then you do not need GSAK. But if you need to sort through caches and set things up for a cacherun, then GSAK is the tool of choice.

Until the "under the hood" GPSbabel can deal with Garmin's latest protocol variants, the best route in the short run is to have GSAK produce a mapsource file and launch mapsource for you, then use mapsource to print maps (if you use 'em) and to download to the gps.

No need for these additional steps/ If you have the data cable for your Garmin, under the GPS toolbar menu item, simply choose the send to GOPS option and you can send it to the GPS directly. Have fone this with my Garmin III+, V eTrex and now my 60CS with no problems. With the 60CS, I have on occasion forgot to select teh USB option, which causes an error, however beyond that, no problems.

If using the 60CS, there is a update tp the USB driver that may also be helpful. Definately can't hurt.

Until the "under the hood" GPSbabel can deal with Garmin's latest protocol variants, the best route in the short run is to have GSAK produce a mapsource file and launch mapsource for you, then use mapsource to print maps (if you use 'em) and to download to the gps.

No need for these additional steps/ If you have the data cable for your Garmin, under the GPS toolbar menu item, simply choose the send to GOPS option and you can send it to the GPS directly. Have fone this with my Garmin III+, V eTrex and now my 60CS with no problems. With the 60CS, I have on occasion forgot to select teh USB option, which causes an error, however beyond that, no problems.

If using the 60CS, there is a update tp the USB driver that may also be helpful. Definately can't hurt.

Unfortunatly, Garmin in their infinate Wisdom changed the protocol AGAIN.

The X series use a different USB protocol. The cheif bablehead is working on the problem and hopefully will have a solution soon.

How can I get gsak to produce a mapsource file? I am new to this and i have to borrow a pc to do this anyway. I only use macs.

When I first downloaded GSAK, I was completely lost :rolleyes:, however, I find it indispensible now. thumbsup.gif

This rudimentary tutorial might help get you started.

GSAK, for the data transfer to my GPSr and Exporting the file my Palm can read, and Mapsource are the only two programs I need now. :(

I use GSAk for two things.

1) I use it to import all of the GPX files (which as you say can be done with other software) and load the waypoints onto my GPSr.

2) I use it to search, make lists, and export HTML files of caches I am going to hunt or load in my GPSr. I can then drag and drop the html straight into my handheld PDA, and be completely paperless.

For me, gSAK is the very best tool I have found for handling GPX files. I have a pretty large database. I am constantly updating with PQ's and GSAK makes this a breeze. I can quickly do searches (filters) and come up with a list of caches to hunt, export them into my GPSr and PDa, and be off caching!

After using GSAK for the trial period, I registered it and am loving it.

Edited by mantis7