Trading Up, Leaving Sig Items

OffTheCuff

I'm new to this, but in my opinion, signature items have no intrinsic value. Unless you're collecting other people's signature items, they're just something that would be of interest to the cache owner ( to see who has come by, etc.)

I consider leaving signature items as a bonus. Something you'd leave without taking something else. If you're going to trade, trade something of value in addition to leaving your calling card.

That way, a few months down the road, someone doesn't have to open up a cache full of business cards and get disappointed.

Now, if you were going to leave a PAIR of cufflinks, for example, that might be different. Someone might actually be able to use those. But, one... Not too many one-armed men who like to wear formal clothes rummaging around in the woods, eh?

There are no trade rules in regards to signature items and geocoins. They are something left behind in the cache for anybody to pick up and collect. In the case of trackable geocoins they are set up for being moved along instead of collecting although not everybody observes that little detail.

So, if you see a signature item in a cache and it isn't yet part of your collection, by all means, collect! :lol:

What I did was I left my SIG items and took small items usually something my kids picked out. Once I collected a bunch of items I then put out a cache of my own with all the items I collected out of other caches. I called it ReCache Once owned twice traded.

J

Heh, heh . . . kind of like re-gifting! Clever.

JohnTee

I think the way to think about it is what would the item be worth WITHOUT your sig on it? If it's a business card, not much. If it's very nice pen (a geo-buddy of mine uses one for his sig item) it's still a nice pen without his John Hancock. I've seen some big heavy carbiners with someones user name on them. They're nice biners.

About the only time I take anything from a cache these days it is either (1) something that catches my eye or (2) something that isn't supposed to be in the cache such as a pocket knife, etc. Container permitting I always leave my sig item and a CITO Kit (35 mm film container with a pastic bag stuffed inside).

I was just wondering what the "Value" of a sig item is when trading up. I want to make sure I don't trade down by accident.

A calling card and a old cufflink are my planned items to leave, any thoughts?

A sig item is a sig item. Do not worry about trading up, it would not be practicle to try and trade up with a sig item.