Garmin Ledgend Or Ledgend C

BOB1520

I am in the porcess of purchaing my first GPSr and not sure which one to purchase.

I have narroed it down to the Ledgend or the Ledgend C.

Color seems nice.. but can you really read it in daylight as the manufacturer says??

Auto -Routing is this really beneficial.

My primary use is for hiking, finding that great fishing spot, geocaching, and scouting. But, I also want to use it for those occasional long trips or exploring in the car.

I've researched pricing and the cost between the Ledgend and Ledgend C is about $60.00 more for the "C". Is it worth the extra money?? Do you really benefit from it.

I realize this is allot of questions, I just want to buy the GPSr that I won't grow out of in 6-12 months.

WHAT'S YOUR SUGGESTIONS OR EXPERIENCES.

If the price is reasonably close then the LegendC would definitely be preferred. The color screen is very readable in bright sunlight and makes it much easier to distinguish map features like roads from rivers and contour lines.

The color model also supports up to 24 MB of downloadable maps instead of 8 MB for the b&w. And the autorouting is a very nice feature to have, but only if you opt for the CitySelect-NA maps as well. The unit will autoroute on the basemap but it's such a coarse map (only highways and a few main roads) that there's really no need for autorouting. If you won't get the CitySelect maps, then be aware that the basemap of the b&w model is actually somewhat more detailed than the color one.

Now that the LegendCx is out you may want to consider this as well. Personally speaking I love the color screen and it's absolutely gourgeous and easy to read in direct sunlight.

Also, with the new x version, you will have unlimited mapping memory with the transflash cards. The Legend as you know is black and white and has only 8MB for maps versus the 24 for the LegendC.

One more thing, the sensitivity of the LegendC is 100 times better than the Legend and the acquisition of satellites is really quick.

Now that the LegendCx is out you may want to consider this as well. Personally speaking I love the color screen and it's absolutely gourgeous and easy to read in direct sunlight.

Also, with the new x version, you will have unlimited mapping memory with the transflash cards. The Legend as you know is black and white and has only 8MB for maps versus the 24 for the LegendC.

One more thing, the sensitivity of the LegendC is 100 times better than the Legend and the acquisition of satellites is really quick.

Where did you get this information? I am thinking about moving from my legend because I am not real happy with it's ability to keep satellite tracking. I decided to pass on the Legend C because I couln't find anything that Garmin puts out to document the increased accuracy with the C over the standard Legend. Thus I am moving up to the Map60CS.

Where did you get this information? I am thinking about moving from my legend because I am not real happy with it's ability to keep satellite tracking. I decided to pass on the Legend C because I couln't find anything that Garmin puts out to document the increased accuracy with the C over the standard Legend. Thus I am moving up to the Map60CS.

I am a previous owner of both the LegendC and VistaC. Both of these units destroy the Legend in accuracy, satellite tracking, sensitivity etc... I'm sure other owners here will vouch for me.

Compuplus has Legend C units for $194 + about $20 for shipping. You can use froogle (froogle.google.com) to find other deals. I found the price difference between the Legend and the Legend C wasn't that great a difference considering all you get in the Legend C.

I ended up getting a Magellan unit, but I seriously considered the Legend C.

Some have suggested you look into the Garmin Cx units. That may be useful. However if price is a concern, my personal opinion is that with these units just coming out, there's not going to be really good deals on them for a while.

Hope this helps,

- bones

I have a Legend C here. Very nice unit. Easy to read in daylight, and a ton of stuf

screens to play with. I used the Automapping today and was very pleased with it.

I have the Etrex Yellow also and that color screen on the Legend C is much more pleasent to look at. I bought mine new on EBAY for $150.00...

SwampYankee

Compuplus has Legend C units for $194 + about $20 for shipping. You can use froogle (froogle.google.com) to find other deals. I found the price difference between the Legend and the Legend C wasn't that great a difference considering all you get in the Legend C.

I ended up getting a Magellan unit, but I seriously considered the Legend C.

Some have suggested you look into the Garmin Cx units. That may be useful. However if price is a concern, my personal opinion is that with these units just coming out, there's not going to be really good deals on them for a while.

Hope this helps,

- bones

With the x models coming out, I'd expect major drop in prices soon for the "plain" older units.

Just bought a Legend C at Target. They are selling off all of their existing units per some Garmin directive (at least that is what the manager told me). Anything that doesn't sell in the next couple weeks will be shipped back to Garmin so that they can get new displays etc. for the new models.

I paid $199, but have seen it as low as $182 online; add the shipping and you're up to about $200. I didn't have to wait for it :lol:

I love the color, way better than my old Legend, faster locks, more features, etc. Well worth the extra $50. Look at a Cx if you want to load all the maps you'll ever need all at once. That wasn't as important to me so I went with a C.

They are selling off all of their existing units per some Garmin directive (at least that is what the manager told me). Anything that doesn't sell in the next couple weeks will be shipped back to Garmin so that they can get new displays etc. for the new models.

some Garmin directive (at least that is what the manager told me)

Store manager in large chains do not know what they are talking about when it come to price issue from the higher ups in the cpmpanies.

Anything that doesn't sell in the next couple weeks will be shipped back to Garmin so that they can get new displays etc. for the new models.

Thats a crock, Manufactures do not take product back because new models come out. What Garmin will do is offer a reteiler a rebate it they lower the wholesale price on and older item. Let say they lower the whloesale price in the legend C buy $20.00, then the dealer with fax Garmin a list of serail numbers for any stock they have on hand and it turn Garmin will send them a rebate of $20.00 for each older modle they still have.

It sounds like the manager was just trying to close the sale with a little puffing.

Well, he wasn't trying to close the sale at his store with a little puffing because he didn't have any to sell because they had completely removed the display and all the units 2 days earlier! I'm just telling you what he said

Since I had already done all my research anyway, I knew that $200 was a good price for this product, so it wouldn't have mattered what he said anyway.

I researched them both before getting my Legend C. The battery life and waypoint averaging alone is worth the extra money. The color screen is a great help when using maps. It is much easier to distinguish the symbols. It works good in direct sunlight, but you'll have to use the backlight in shaded light. I love mine. :D

I have the "old" Legend, and it does fine for caching, but if I were to choose, I'd go with the C. I've used the Vista C, and it's nice. Definitely some improved features over the old models. I'm going to upgrade, but will wait until the CX models come out, then the choice will be C or CX? Price will probably be the deciding factor.

Some of the differences:

the Legend C is faster to aquire a signal, of course has the color screen, more waypoint projection flexibility (ie you can use feet rather than just miles), and a geocaching mode so you can mark your caches as Found while on the road (I'd love this feature). The C line also uses a USB connector to a a PC rather than the serial port connector the older models use.

The one downside is that the older legend can hold 1000 waypoints, while the newer C model only holds 500. But 500 is more than enough for most people anyway.

The Vista models are just like the Legends, except they include a compass (handy at times) and an altimeter, which, unless you're a paratrooper, is pretty much useless.