Limit Or Open Buying

Slammer180

Being new to collecting coins I have noticed that the people that sell coins fall in one of two catagories:

1. Sell as many coins to whoever wants to but them so they can make a dollar.

2. Limit how many coins a person can buy so the coins are spread out to more collectors.

Recently I recieved notice that a coin, that that was going up for sale at a later date was available for "reservation". By the time I opened the mail, got on the web site all the coins were gone. I know that coin groups buy quanities for the members but in MY opinion is not fair to the individual that is trying to get a coin or two.

:blink:

I am selling my coin right now and I did not put a limit on it but most everyone has only ordered 2. Of course it is just a personal coin so the demand for more is not high.

I have been involved in the sale of 2 conis so far - the New York state coin (1000 minted), and my own personal coin (500 minted). Neither had a limit on the number that any individual could order, but I'd say at least 90% of the orders were for 1-4 coins. If I were selling a coin that had only 100 minted, I would likely limit it to 1 per person.

It's the coin makers choice based on what their goals are. I have an opinion on when it should be limited and when it should be open but it's moot in this topic.

If the coin you are talking about is the one I think you are ICE passed on it so we didn't give you any competition. The coin however is popular so it sold fast.

Also, if the coin is the one I think you are referring to there was a limit of 5 per an order.

If I were selling a coin that had only 100 minted, I would likely limit it to 1 per person.

Are you trying to tell me something? :blink:

If I were selling a coin I wouldn't make the quantity unlimited, simply because those don't interest me as much as smaller runs. On the other hand, minting an unlimited number of some coins is a great idea (USA, the upcoming CITO coin, etc.).

As for coin groups, if I were selling a coin I think I would bar them from doing a batch order for the same reason you mentioned. In my opinion it would be more fair that way. I prefer the old fashioned "you snooze, you lose" idea. Coin groups really don't bother me, though.

Recently I recieved notice that a coin, that that was going up for sale at a later date was available for "reservation". By the time I opened the mail, got on the web site all the coins were gone. I know that coin groups buy quanities for the members but in MY opinion is not fair to the individual that is trying to get a coin or two.

playing devils advocate, who said geocoins are fair? The person(s) having them made pretty much gets to do whatever they want, make however many they want, sell them to whoever they want, for almost whatever they want to charge :blink:

It's the coin makers choice based on what their goals are.  I have an opinion on when it should be limited and when it should be open but it's moot in this topic.

If the coin you are talking about is the one I think you are ICE passed on it so we didn't give you any competition.  The coin however is popular so it sold fast.

Also, if the coin is the one I think you are referring to there was a limit of 5 per an order.

And was announced for presale when most people on the east coast were going to bed.

The nice thing about living in a capitalist society (as opposed to Cuba) is that the person selling the coins can choose to do whatever the heck they want. If one person wants to buy 500 of their coins, so be it. Or if they limit two per buyer or whatever, that's fine too. God bless open markets.

The nice thing about living in a capitalist society (as opposed to Cuba) is that the person selling the coins can choose to do whatever the heck they want. If one person wants to buy 500 of their coins, so be it. Or if they limit two per buyer or whatever, that's fine too. God bless open markets.

They got coins in Cuba?

The SDGCC will take 20 :ph34r: