What Sticks To Plastic?

snowfoxrox

Ok, I need a spot of help. I hope this is the correct forum to ask this... if not please feel free to move it to a more correct place.

I am trying to prep 3 tupperwear type containers to take out into the world. The problem; Nothing seems to want to stick to them. Tried several types of glue, it peeled off easily, concrete I was left with a nice concrete box that then crumbled into pieces.

The only thing I have had any luck with is that expando foam. The problem is that It is difficult to mold, so ends up looking like varying sizes of fake Poo. I am still fairly new to cache making and have not seen much in the way of help on this in the forums. I would like to do something ither than cammo, but am starting to see why it is so popular!!

Any help would be much appriciated!!

~SFR~

Cammo Tape

Floral Tape

Spray Paint - For Plastics

Super Glue and straw, leaves, other debris (there are different types of super glue)

Apoxy - Good for forming abstract shapes with some skill

I think the key is to rough up the surface of the plastic first so it isnt smooth, maybe with sandpaper

One method of painting this type of plastic is called flashing which is discussed here. After flashing, paint should not be able to be peeled off easily. But you need to be very careful using this process.

One poster, in the same discussion, mentioned Krylon Fusion Paint which I have not tried as of yet.

The guy at my local surplus store also said that "washing" the plastic with acetone would work, but haven't tried it yet.

On the flashing thing, does it need to be direct flame or will enough heat work (like baking it)?

hmmmm... I never tried with any other heat source than my propane torch but I guess that anything that would produce enough heat to melt plastic would work. Perhaps a heat gun.

Edited: After re-reading your post, in theory baking could work but you would have to monitor it so closely or else end up with a blob of molten plastic.

Edited by grueinthedark

Dupli-color has a product called Vinyl and fabric color, that is more dye than paint, the stuff won't stick to metal at all. It's almost impossible to get off any plastic or cloth. This stuff is my personal favorite, as it makes a great primer for later application of regular paint, and there is NO sanding needed for the initial application.

Just "baked" a Krylon Camo painted one until it was very slightly pliable (Keep Warm setting on my electric oven). The finish doesn't scratch off now. Looks like perfect timing is required though. Maybe a success. :)

Interesting what temp. did you use? I am going to have to try this with the oven (when my wife is not looking :blink: )

I've used Krylon Fusion as a primer coat on dozens of various plastic containers, from screw-top Rubbermaids to Lock&Locks, and have yet to see the paint peel unless I happened to spray on an extremly wet and humid day. This stuff forms a chemical bond to the plastic.

I've seen no need for baking. After a good 24-hour drying cycle, I've scraped them with a screwdriver and couldn't make a dent in the paint. I subsequently use camo spray paint in olive drab, brown, and tan. Good luck!

Edited by Chance Encounter

This is one of my cache containers that has been out for about 3 months. It's a lock&lock that I painted, pretty much, as Chance Encounter described. Except that I sanded the plastic before the Fusion paint and lightly sanded the Fusion paint before doing the camo. All the paint was Krylon.

On my first attempt I just painted the plastic with camo. After only a few weeks, most of it had peeled off. This one's doing much better. There are a few scratches (it's hidden between some rocks) but no sign of peeling. I'm very pleased with the results.

camocache3kw.jpg

I know about plastic paints (krylon) what I am looking for is an adhesive that I can use to apply various forms of cammo to. For instance I have a tupperwear container that I would like to make in to some kind of fake bush. My problem is finding a durable glue with to stick things to it. I am currently testing sandpaper with goop to see how that holds up. I like to make my containers look like something completely different. There is a fake deer in a nearby field that I may ask its owner about purchasing....how cool would that be!!

But you guys are giving me some really neat ideas!! :drama:

Just "baked" a Krylon Camo painted one until it was very slightly pliable (Keep Warm setting on my electric oven). The finish doesn't scratch off now. Looks like perfect timing is required though. Maybe a success. :lol:

Interesting what temp. did you use? I am going to have to try this with the oven (when my wife is not looking ;) )

Seems it must be around or under 200 degrees F, because that is my first oven setting.

My apologies to the OP for sidetracking this thread.

I know about plastic paints (krylon) what I am looking for is an adhesive that I can use to apply various forms of cammo to. For instance I have a tupperwear container that I would like to make in to some kind of fake bush. My problem is finding a durable glue with to stick things to it. I am currently testing sandpaper with goop to see how that holds up.  I like to make my containers look like something completely different. There is a fake deer in a nearby field that I may ask its owner about purchasing....how cool would that be!! 

But you guys are giving me some really neat ideas!!  ;)

Coat it with a good epoxy, then sand it. Use 2-part (Not canned!) expanding foam to shape the container. You could drill holes in the foam (it becomes REALLY tough) to insert fake branches.

If those don't stick, give the container surfaces a good sanding.

Edited by BlueNinja

I am trying to prep 3 tupperwear type containers to take out into the world. The problem; Nothing seems to want to stick to them. Tried several types of glue, it peeled off easily, concrete I was left with a nice concrete box that then crumbled into pieces.

Have you tried Gorilla Glue? It's pretty strong stuff; I think it would work on plastic.

Have you tried Gorilla Glue? It's pretty strong stuff; I think it would work on plastic.

I dunno if it would hold the stuff I wanted it to very well. I ended up using "Great Stuff" It worked very well! I was able to adhere the stuff I wanted, distort the shape a little and it stuck fast to the plastic. I like "Gorilla Glue" for a lot of other appiilcations though!

Thanks for the Idea!!

Ok I sanded the snot out of the containers, not so new looking anymore!! LOL. I then applied some expanding foam as it has worked for me on other applications and attatched my cammo to that!

Did you have to apply anything to the container to make the expanding foam stick?

Out here, the only expanding foam comes in a can, and there certainly ain't no Krylon. Many paints which claim to stick to plastic but they all chip off, even when the plastic is sanded. Paint that is brushed on seems to last better than that out of a spraycan. Think I'll try the flashing technique, but am curious to know more about the expansion foam.

This always makes me wonder.... ever got spraypaint on a plastic object by accident... come hell or high water, you can't get it off. Paint a lock n lock purposefully for a cache container... come hell or high water you can't keep the paint from coming off :)

Sanding is all that is required for the foam to get a good grip. Some rockets I build use a plastic body tube (Yes, I think it's stupid) and G10 fiberglass fins, and once I get the tube and fins sanded, I pour 2-part foam in the back of the rocket between the motor mount and body and it sticks like nothing else.

Almost all plastics have release agents in them so that they will come out of the molds easily. This is the reason that paint and glue will not work on well on plastic. I know to repair plastic with glue you need to flash (heat ) to get the glue to stick. I suspect that heating the plastic would make paint adhere better. It has something to do with the affect on the release compounds.

Happy to report that my first experiment at using the flashing technique was relatively successful. Not owning a flamethrower, I used my trusty chef's torch. A slightly more timeous affair due to a small but intense flame. The flame is near invisible during the day so will attempt again in the evening. Not wanting to destroy my precious lock n lock (quite expensive here) I performed my experiment on an empty yoghurt drink container, similar plastic to an icecream container. Apart from having applied too much heat in certain areas causing the plastic to deform, the experiment was quite successfull. Flashed half, and left the other half. Did a quick spray job and left it to dry for an hour. I then spent a good few minutes crushing and manhandling the bottle. The flashed half, not even a crack..perfect. Unflashed side, cracked and peeled off straight away.

Now to invest in a bigger torch or perhaps a paintstripper will work too??

I'm a bit sceptical about using the oven technique, don't want to end up with melted plastic in there.

Thanks for the thread, has opened up possibilities, and now I don't need to friggin sand till I'm blue in the face.

Edited by GlobalRat