Bikedog Down

Howling Wolf

I am extremely sad to report that Bikedog was critically injured in a motorcycle accident today and will not live through the night. For all of you who had the opportunity to know him, then your life is better for it. I personally had the chance to share many a weekend adventure with him and I will always remember him for the fun we had and the challenges we overcame.

I will repost once the details of a memorial service are assembled.

Howling Wolf

I am extremely sad to report that Bikedog was critically injured in a motorcycle accident today and will not live through the night. For all of you who had the opportunity to know him, then your life is better for it. I personally had the chance to share many a weekend adventure with him and I will always remember him for the fun we had and the challenges we overcame.

I will repost once the details of a memorial service are assembled.

Howling Wolf

Very sad news.

By any chance was he taken to Scripps Memorial trauma center today?

Yes, he was life flighted to Scripps La Jolla today.

Good gosh, I must have been there at the time. Of course I cannot confirm that the following information pertains to Bikedog and so please know that the following comments are mere speculation.

The reason I was at Scripps Memorial hospital was that my sweet bride and I took my ninety-two year old dad into the emergency/trauma unit this morning. We arrived at about 9:00 p.m. and stayed until my dad was taken to a room upstairs at about 7:00 p.m. We spent the entire day in the emergeny unit because, in part, the Scripps staff were preoccupied with an injured man that was brought in by helicopter.

We sat in the emergency-unit waiting room beside a group of concerned family members and saw more of them arrive in a state of extreme anguish. We also saw the Scripps helicopter arrive with a man that they took straight-away into the trauma unit. We saw that some of the patient's clothing was torn away.

As time went on we overheard a remark that the attending neurosurgeons didn't expect the patient to live and of course heard reactions from disdraught family members.

It was a very sad and emotional scene. The Scripps staff were working diligently to pull him through.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Jerry will alway's be in our minds and hearts.....

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Last modified Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:29 PM PST

Escondido man killed in crash

By: Associated Press

RANCHO SANTA FE ---- A 44-year-old Escondido man was killed Thursday when he crashed his motorcycle into a sport utility vehicle that turned in front of him, a California Highway Patrol officer said.

The crash happened at 8:35 a.m. on Lago Lindo, CHP Officer Tom Kerns said.

Jerry Gradisher was driving his 2003 Suzuki 400 motorcycle eastbound on Lago Lindo at an unknown speed, Kerns said.

Another motorist, Kelsey Shaner, 27, of San Diego was driving extremely slowly in his 2003 Nissan Xterra going west on Lago Lindo because he was looking for an address, Kerns said.

Shaner turned left in front of Gradisher, who was was unable to avoid the collision, Kerns said. Gradisher was thrown from his motorcycle and suffered severe injuries, he said.

Gradisher was taken by Mercy Air ambulance to Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla where he later died of his injuries. He is survived by his wife, Nancy Gradisher, a medical examiner's investigator said.

It’s not always about first to finds, pumping up the stats or locating the treasure. Remember the journey…..the true treasure at the end of your quest is the lives you touch along the way. Thank you bikedog for enriching our lives with your friendship, your compassion and undying spirit. You’ll be in our hearts forever as our most cherished treasure.

Some of you may or may not have seen bikedog's smashed pennies that he began placing into caches. Based on my communications with him he was very passionate about it and couldn't wait to begin placing them into caches. Below is a link to a video compilation that Jerry sent me awhile back showing his true passion for geocaching and creating one of his signature items.

Jerry said:

"This is a day in the life of an elongated coin. Sure, I know, not as flashy as a geocoin. Not as heavy, nor expensive, either. It's small enough that even those dadgum urban micro's still get a donation. I've stamped a unique tracking number into the first batch. Follow its travels with Google Earth maps."

Bikedog Smashed Penny Video

Bikedog Smashed Penny Tracking Site

Here is a brief update. There is a bikedog wake planned for Saturday January 21st at 1pm in Elfin Forest (close to Escondido and San Marcos). Directions will follow later this week.

A memorial trust account is being set up at a local financial institution where donations will be accepted for his 13 year old daughter's benefit. Again details will follow once it is set up.

His wife, Nancy, has been blown away by your collective outpouring of prayers and well wishes.

Thanks to Rocket Man for placing the "Its All Good" Bikedog Memorial Cache in Colorado today.

Thanks to Caching Widow for creating the Bikedog memorial coin, it looks great.

Howling Wolf

If you would like to attend Bikedog's Memorial Party (and yes it will be memorable!), please send me an email (howling.wolf@sbcglobal.net) and I will send you an evite with the details. It is scheduled for next Saturday the 21st at 1pm in Elfin Forest.

Doug Dittrich (Howling Wolf)

Edited by Howling Wolf
Here is a brief update. There is a bikedog wake planned for Saturday January 21st at 1pm in Elfin Forest (close to Escondido and San Marcos). Directions will follow later this week.

A memorial trust account is being set up at a local financial institution where donations will be accepted for his 13 year old daughter's benefit. Again details will follow once it is set up.

His wife, Nancy, has been blown away by your collective outpouring of prayers and well wishes.

Thanks to Rocket Man for placing the "Its All Good" Bikedog Memorial Cache in Colorado today.

Thanks to Caching Widow for creating the Bikedog memorial coin, it looks great.

Howling Wolf

In response to all of your inquiries, a bikedog memorial account has been set up for the benefit of his 13 year old daughter. Checks should be made out to the "Gradisher Memorial" and sent to the following address:

San Diego County Credit Union

501 N El Camino Real

Encinitas, CA 92024

If you live locally, you can also drop off your cash donations at any San Diego County Credit Union Branch.

Again, thank you for all of your prayers and condolences.

Howling Wolf

I have had numerous requests for copies of the DVD that was played during Bikedog's Memorial Party on Saturday. The DVD is approximately 60 minutes long and contains a sampling of the things he loved in life. I will be happy to make a copy and send it to you for a minimum $10 donation to Jerry's memorial fund for the benefit of his daughter, Danielle. Please send a check to the following address made out to the "Gradisher Memorial".

Doug Dittrich

7996 Grado El Tupelo

Carlsbad, CA 92009

Thank you,

Howling Wolf