Which One To Buy

TownFam

Just get thee cheapest one you can find that has about 8 megs of storage. Your best bet is buying an old Palm off Ebay. You can pick an M505 for around $30 with all the accessories. Its foolish to waste good money on an expensive PDA and expose it to the abuse it will receive while geocaching.

Then shell out the $8 for Cachemate and you're paper free.

Edited by briansnat

I'm using an Imate Jam. It is a PocketPC/Phone combo that isn't sold in the US. I love using it as a paperless cache. I use the GPRS signal (which is quite prevalent here in the DC area) to call up online maps and websites and to IM if necessary. I have GPXSonar installed right now so I can open .gpx files in it.

I was considering moving back to a PDA/cell phone combination but now that I'm geocaching the old Jam has found a new life!

I have a Palm M500 and it is all I need. It is also very easy to read, even in bright sunlight, unlike some of the color models.

I also got a hard case for it so when I drop it, and it does happen, the unit is protected from damage.

There are some M500's on eBay right now for less than $40.00, including the shipping.

Cachemate on the Palm works very well. I Export the data for the Palm from GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). :huh:

I bought an Ipaq 3955 for $200. This was more than a year ago so they should be a lot cheaper now. It has a lot more capability then you need, but that is not all bad. It comes with excel and word and can play games. Most people use GPX sonar to read the caches on their PDA. I also have Pocket Streets and Trips which I import my pinpoints into. This allows me to plan a caching day. I sometimes use the word documents to write notes about my finds. I don't miss paper at all. :huh:

I use a sony Clie and the ability to add memory is a big plus. Also, you may want to only use it for caching, but will find other uses as well.

My Clie is being retired at the end of the month as I am swtching to a Treo 650 so my waist no longer looks like I am wearing a "bat belt". Going forward it will be my pager, the Treo and the built in spare tire.

Congratulations!!! :lol:;)

Download Cachemate and pay your $8.00. Then, if you haven't already, download GSAK and put your Pocket Query data in it. You can export the data for the Palm directly from GSAK. ;)

GSAK is $20.00 after your trial period, but it is well worth that amount of money . . . even if the learning curve for someone like me was very steep. :laughing:

Lots of folks use Cachemate - I get the feeling that they like to enter their cache notes in the field and then upload them. I can't imagine wanting to enter my notes on the darn Palm. I hate trying to write on it (too lazy to learn to do it efficiently) and entering notes with the stylus and onscreen keyboard would be horrid. I make my field notes in a small spiral notebook.

Since I don't write field notes on the Palm I use Spinner and Plucker rather than Cachemate. I end up with the exact same cache page that I get online. I like it and it works well for me. I've never used Cachemate but the screen shots I've seen didn't seem nearly as nice to me as having the actual web page on my Palm.

Others can give you better info on Cachemate - maybe it does more than I've seen on the screen shots. For me, Spinner and Plucker work really well. Of course I also use GSAK - can't live without it. I also registered Spinner and GSAK since I find them so very useful.

Just recently got a palm VIIx for under $10 with all the books, software, cradle and keyboard from ebay. Doesn't even look used! Installed cachemate, 550 caches and 227 benchmarks exported from GSAK with all the logs. HackMaster and a few hacks (battery & greenlight), along with plucker, cspotrun, some ebooks and games and still have over 4MB of mem left, with contacts too.

I would also say anything with 8MB or more will do fine. Cachemate looks awesome but is only for the palm OS, I haven't seen gpxsonar yet (for pocket pc) so I can't comment on that.

If all your gonna use it for is caching and maybe the addressbook, notes and simple things, go with a cheap palm on ebay.

Congratulations!!! :laughing:;)

Download Cachemate and pay your $8.00. Then, if you haven't already, download GSAK and put your Pocket Query data in it. You can export the data for the Palm directly from GSAK. ;)

GSAK is $20.00 after your trial period, but it is well worth that amount of money . . . even if the learning curve for someone like me was very steep. :D

I now LOVE GSAK. I agree, the thing is a little closer to basic computereese than I am used to, but by way of trial and error, I have figured most of the hard stuff out.

I can't wait to be able to see the notes and logs while in the area. Sometimes the hints or even the full cache name are really important while you are looking. (At least for more dense individuals like myself!)

I hope this little jem we got is easy to use. Hubby will need to learn how to use it also. :lol: THAT will be fun!

Thanks for the positive info!

The Past Logs can be very helpful. I wouldn't have found one cleverly-hidden cache if I hadn't looked at all the Past Logs on my Palm and noted something about "having worked for Toro, I knew this was not a "normal"installation."

That was my very first Sprinkler-hidden cache . . . :laughing:

Since I figured I would use the PDA for other things, I opted for a Dell Axim running the Pocket PC OS. Its a great unit and I find a lot of uses for it in addition to geocaching.

For my geocaching software, I use a program called CacheDragon. Its possibly the best geocaching software I have seen because rather than just display the data in web page style, it breaks everything up into tabs. There's a tab for the general cache info, a tab for the description, a tab to look at the most recent logs, a tab to log your notes into, etc. It'll also work as GPSr software if you have something to connect it to.

In a twist of bad luck, the guy who wrote it appears to have dropped off the planet and hasn't done any updates or bug fixes in several years, but all in all I find it very handy and not that buggy at all.

You can find it here. I like it so much I paid for the full version (only 20 bucks).

CacheDragon