Problem With Geocoin

nonnipoppy

I own USA geocoin TBGAJ8. It was placed in a cache in

October of 2004. When it was recently retrieved the cacher tried to log it using the number on the coin we are told that the coin has never been activated. Help please. Thanks.

Ask the current holder for the number on the coin. You can then mail the contact at Groundspeak dot com email address for the activation code.

I own USA geocoin TBGAJ8. It was placed in a cache in

October of 2004. When it was recently retrieved the cacher tried to log it using the number on the coin we are told that the coin has never been activated. Help please. Thanks.

Hey nonnipoppy,

It might be that your coin was deactivated because it was believed to be one of the Virtual Coins. If that is the case, I believe you can email Groundspeak directly if it is in a cache and travelling and they will activate it again for you.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Ummmmm.... Dumb question here...

What is a "Virtual Coin"? :o

Unlike a virtual geocache where you actually go somewhere and see something, a "virtual geocoin" is a coin that is either held by the owner or is lost, but the secret number is published on the page so you don't actually ever have to see it to log it. It is basically a way for people who are hungry for icons to run up their stats page without ever actually seeing the coin in question. The same goes for "virtual travel bugs".

Soooooooooo if I go to an event and see and maybe even hold a coin in my hand it is not a virtual coin but if I hear about a coin who's icon I do not yet have and ask the owner if I can log it just so I can have the icon on my stats page it is a virtual coin. Do I have this correct?

As much as I enjoy collecting icons I would much rather see (and perhaps hold) the coins I log. Owning the coins and sharing the tracking numbers and icons is even better! :o

Crowesfeat30

Edited by Crowesfeat30