Didn't Find It But Posted Found

Sagefox

I suspect we have all read posted FOUND logs where the finder didn't actually find the container.

For purposes of this topic I am referring only to those logs where a hunter was at the site, claimed a find and stated in their log that they didn't find it and had no other communication with or authorization from the cache owner. That's a different subject. Excellent material for this topic can be found in Found It = Didn't Find It in The Hunt-The Unusual forum.

It seems to me that the appropriate course of action would be to send a polite PM to the claimer of the find that respectfully suggests this is an inappropriate use of the FOUND feature. This gentle communication could and should be sent by anyone who might read the log, not just the cache owner. I was surprised to read that some cache owners choose to let the find log stand claiming "to each their own."

As I understand it, it is our responsibility as cache owners to delete the so-called "bogus" finds. So how do you, fair minded, rule abiding cache owner handle this situation?

It seems to me that if we don't do something about it we are contributing to the problem. And how are new cachers to learn that the practice is inappropriate if we let the find stand and don't at least contact them?

Edited by Team Sagefox

My approach is to send that polite email requesting FOUND be changed to DNF or NOTE. (May the geogod forgive me if in a weak moment somewhere in the past I smote down a find log without this fair warning.)

I do think it is very important to go easy with new or very low find cachers. One harsh email or cache page comment can end their geocaching quickly. I like to make the inappropriate use of FOUND suggestion to new cachers and then check back in several months or even more than six months to see if they changed the log. If at that time they have found 50 to 80 or more caches but have not deleted the inappropriate find then I will usually, at that late date, just delete the find without another email.

As a reality check however, I have found only a handful of this type of FOUND logs on all my caches during the past 4 years.

I have seen them on caches I have visited, apparently finding a remnant of a cache in their mind earned a smiley. I logged DNF after finding the same remnant. I think it's bad form to post a find without a good reason, like signing the log. I have logged a cache as a virtual with permission before, but only do it rarely and am considering not doing it again.

There is also some possibility that someone would accidentally enter the wrong log type when logging a bunch of caches at a time. If that's the case, a quick E-mail would clear that up.

It seems to me that if we don't do something about it we are contributing to the practice and adding fuel to the forum angst regarding those dad-burned cheaters. And how are new cachers to learn that the practice is inappropriate if we let the find stand and don't at least contact them?

Good grief, no.

Are you working towards a point here?

Edited by BlueDeuce
Nobody has the right to be the log police except the cache's owner. People will figure out that it's not an acceptable practice the first time one of their logs gets deleted.

I see your point and s111's about non-owner intervention and mostly agree. This approach won't work well if people handle it wrong. I officially withdraw my contention that non-owners "should" contact errant finders.

It really comes down to the specific situation. What works for one cache or cacher might be inappropriate for others. I am situation oriented.

Take for instance a new cache placed by a new cacher (9 finds). Along comes another new cacher (4 finds) and logs Found for the first stage of a multi where they did not find the final container to sign the logbook. Hider is too new and actually has not been active for about six months and doesn't know or maybe even care if the practice is incorrect. I wrote a polite, non-threatening communication to the finder and they were thankful for the tip and also changed the find to a dnf. From this they learned how to correctly log multis.

And how many thousand caches are still in place where the owner has left the sport? There are lots of those along my common cache routes. And how many more active cache owners don't do anything about it?

This gentle communication could and should be sent by anyone who might read the log, not just the cache owner.

Nobody has the right to be the log police except the cache's owner. People will figure out that it's not an acceptable practice the first time one of their logs gets deleted. :D

esy-rd-bingo-hcard.jpg

I have also sent very friendly, informative emails when I happened to notice a 'Found It' when it should have been a 'DNF,' or a second 'Found It' when it should have been a 'Note' after someone picked up or dropped a Travel Bug.

If the tone is friendly and not accusatory, I think that is fine. ;)

I would much rather have someone send me such an email than have the cache owner delete my log if I have made the mistake of choosing the wrong log type . . .

Dear Cache Seeker.

I noticed that when you posted a note about not being able to find my cache, you accidently left the log type as "Found". Thanks for the feedback about the cache, you will be happy to know that I checked on it and it is still there waiting for you. I also made sure to delete your log so the cache doesn't disappear from your searches for caches you haven't found.

Have a nice day and happy caching!

-Cache Hider

It may be a mistake. I know that when you click on the log type colume, if you have a mouse that has a wheel scroll, sometime it is easy with out knowing it to accidently move the log type up or down. Then you do your log, and click submit. I almost submitted a this should be archived log, but caught it in time. -RB

I would just delete their log. I see no need to send a Polite E-mail :(

they know they did not find the cache.

Even though I believe I will always use the polite email first I think that this JV suggestion is still more productive toward curbing inappropriate finds than allowing them to stand.

Recently two 1,000+ find cachers from around here logged one of my out-of-state multi-virtual caches as a find. They apparently were travelling together. However, they only emailed me the answer for the first stage totally missing the fact there were 3 more stages. I let both finds stand. Frankly I didn't want to embarrass them as I know them and second, they would have had to travel back to that state to complete the other stages. :(

Edited by Alan2