Buying A Compass, Need Advice

DISCLAIMER:

I did a lot of forum searching before posting this but found only the occasional personal reference as opposed to a model comparison discussion or general buying advice. (I'm hoping this is the right forum for this question -- the GPSr/Software forum seems to focus on the digital stuff.)

THE QUESTION: What compass brand/model do people recommend?

CONSIDERATIONS: This will be for the Grouch, who always prefers buying "top of the line" within budget limit -- I'm willing to go up to about $60 (U.S.). It will be used for geocaching (backup/adjunct to GPSr) as well as on & off-trail hiking, and as standard emergency equipment. The Grouch is city born and relatively new to the rural outdoors, so ideally the compass should not be TOO complicated. (We do plan on taking some orienteering courses in the spring.) We're in the New England region if that makes any difference.

"BONUS" QUESTION: What do you recommend as a "good enough" model for ME? (same considerations as above except I don't need it to be fancy or top of the line)

Your compass-related anecdotes are welcome too :P

I second Criminal's reccomendation of the Silva Ranger. With a little practice and care you can find or follow a bearing with sub-two degree accuracy. Mine has been in my pack or on my wrist for nine hard years and still works well.

"Good enough" can be a little cheaper than a Ranger, depending on your use. Adjustable declination is really handy, but as I recall most orienteering event maps are magnetic, so many competitors use a small, very simple compass that straps to their thumb so they can hold the map and compass in one hand as they run.

The Silva Ranger is a good compass that won't break the bank, but pretty much any decent compass will help you find your way. Brunton and Suunto also make fine compasses.  There really is no need to shell out more than $20 unless you are a serious orienteer. 

I basically agree with Brian. Personally I use a Moscow thumb compass. The needle is well dampened so it zeros out quickly and is very stable while moving, but if you want to stop and plot a course then most any compass with a liquid filled housing in the "clear baseplate" type design category will do. FYI Brunton is the company that was Silva and is still Silva in Europe, and so Silva in the US isn't Silva anymore. Got it??? :P

FYI Brunton is the company that was Silva and is still Silva in Europe, and so Silva in the US isn't Silva anymore. Got it??? :P

I've seen a falure rate of about 5 percent in Brunton sighting compasses this year and last. One had a loose declination, another a loose bezel (sp?), a third was off by 4 degrees and we couldn't determine why. I'd examine it closely and return it if it seems hinky.

The Ranger is a great compass and fits your $60 budget. But will the giftee really need sighting capability? (This feature allows more precise bearings to be taken on distant landmarks.) I ask because there's a tendency for owners of nice compasses to baby them, keeping them inside their pack to be taken out infrequently with great care and reverence. A compass is most useful when it is constantly used.

If I were gifting a potential orienteer and current outdoorsperson with nav aids, I might go the 'bundle' approach:

• Inexpensive ($20) baseplate compass with declination adjustment (e.g., Suunto M-2D)
  • Book on land navigation with map & compass
  • Waterproof paper for printing topo maps
  • If the giftee didn't have it and funds were left over, gift cert toward topo-map software

The local orienteering group will probably lend him a compass for the class, and may even have a discounted deal for purchasing one.

Declination adjustment: Orienteering uses maps that are specially drawn for navigating a particular course. These maps are set up with magnetic north at the top. This is unlike practically every other map you've ever seen.

When you navigate with map & compass, you need to reckon with the difference between magnetic north and true north. In most parts of the world this difference is significant and cannot be ignored. It's true that you can make this correction in your head using simple arithmetic, but it can be confusing, particularly if you're used to the ease and convenience of GPS. And, given the circumstances under which you might be using your backup navigation plan (lost, GPS broken, weather or darkness coming on, scared, cold, tired, dehydrated, confused, etc., etc.) it's smart to remove a possible source of error.

Here is a good compass. That I use, but if you want to get all the bells and whistles go here.

What ever you decide on carefully check out all the features on a compass. Silva Rangers are good compasses but make sure the scale is 1:24 k to match the scale on the map. Some compasses can measure UTM's .

Here are some useful links for you.

How to use a Compass

Map and Compass Fundamentals

Map Reading Skills

Glossary

Compass Store

When taking my education in Resources all students had to purchase a Silva Ranger. I have used many other styles since then and with practice and know how all are about the same. Another consideration is where you plan on using the compass. Declination can be compensated for mathematically but if you plan to use the compass away from where you purchase it (ie south america or africa) make sure you get a globally balanced one. See here for infocompass balance

Most of us on our search and rescue team use the Silva Ranger. It's easy to use, has survived a bunch of banging/dropping/dunking, and can be used as an emergency signal mirror when needed. My husband has said that he also likes the Brunton model; he said the bezel is a little easier for him to read. You might check to see which one looks better to you.

"BONUS" QUESTION: What do you recommend as a "good enough" model for ME? (same considerations as above except I don't need it to be fancy or top of the line)

As an Eagle Scout and Assistant Scoutmaster, I must say I'm a bit biased towards the so called "Official Compass of the BSA." The Silva Polaris, runs about $12. It lacks a fancy sight lens, but for map reading and general orienteering, I think it works fine.

I have one (among many other compasses) myself. No problems.

~Justin

Someone mentioned declination problems in a post above....

Declination can be confusing, but if you draw magnetic north lines on your map before you go out at least the calculations are done in comfort and with a clear head. Align the lines in the housing with true north along the edge of the map. Point the directional arrow to magnetic north. Use the edge of the compass to draw the new magnetic north lines. Extend them with a straight edge and then add parallel lines. It is an added advantage to have the parallel lines at a known distance apart like 500 meters. In some areas it is good to check magnetic north for yourself. The USGS does averages, but there are many local variations. Find a straight feature on the map that you can sight along like a road or power line (some people swear power lines will affect a compass but I've never been able to see it unless you are literally right next to a steel tower) and see how far off your bearing is from one taken from the map. That is your declination and it can be several degrees off from what is printed on the map.

I've had the same Silva Ranger for 30+ years, and it still works fine. It's great for orienteering, but the feature I use more than any other while geocaching is the sighting mirror. Not for navigation though; when coupled with a flashlight, it is most useful for inspecting the interior of hollow trees and other dark and difficult-to-see places.

any compass by a reputable maker (silva, suunto) will fill the bill. i'll second tahosa's selection of the m3 leader by suunto. i've used it on and off trail hiking, orienteering, and geocaching. i would spring for the global needle version, not so much because it will work in any region of the world (it will), but because it will accept much more tilt than a regular needle compass which allows you to get a more accurate reading when on the move, or on the water. sighting compasses such as the silva ranger and the suunto mc1 will allow very accurate readings, but i personally find the glare from the mirror when using the compass in a waist hold position to be disagreeable. glad to hear you're planning to take some courses. a map and compass properly used will never let you down. -harry

Edited by shawhh
As an Eagle Scout and Assistant Scoutmaster, I must say I'm a bit biased towards the so called "Official Compass of the BSA." The Silva Polaris, runs about $12. It lacks a fancy sight lens, but for map reading and general orienteering, I think it works fine.

I only use a compass occasionally but, that's the compass I have and I'm happy with it. I lost one while caching one day and bought another. They're less than $10 at WallyWorld.