Same Cache, Extra Smilie

OzGuff

In my part of the country that sort of thing isn't done. You wouldn't be able to show your face at the next geo-gathering if you did.

In my part of the country, you'd be welcome to show your face with impunity at any of our geo gatherings. Our gatherings are purely social, and or to cache; not designed to enforce any geocaching styles thru peer pressure. There are other venues for that... :P

It just so happens that the text quoted may come from a cache in TN or VA, but I could have quoted text from many similar caches.
I highly respect this young hider who exhibits more maturity than cachers double or even triple his age.  He's done much for caching in my area and I hope this forum question / attack, as some locals see it, doesn't kill his enthusiasm.

FYI -- It wasn't an attack on the cache owner but an example of the practice. Reading the entire thread before posting may lead to a decrease in misunderstandings.

Can you tell me honestly that seeing one of the world's top cachers do this for a webcam cache (GCKE4G) was not worth four smileys, plus one for The Rock on her head?

72fa85ac-99c8-4c6c-a273-2bbda8f16717.jpg

If someone with 4000 'finds' has one of those finds count 4 smileys instead of one, do you know what percentage error that is, for you purists? It's negligible.

Count up your finds anyway you like, but more smileys = more fun.

Can you tell me honestly that seeing one of the world's top cachers do this for a webcam cache...

It's LAME, sorry, no two ways about it. The smilie is not an 'award' for effort, it simply means that you found what you were looking for (or in some rare cases, found someting you were not looking for). If you find a cache, log it as found and move on to the next. What's next, one smilie for each rating star?

If I look down, see a quarter in the street, and pick it up, I've found 25 cents. If I throw it back down three more times, have I now found $1? If you cannot grasp this, maybe Fizzy can explain it better, that dude is pretty smart.

Don't flame me HJ, I like you.

Edited by Criminal

Background...I've only visited forums three times since becoming a member.

Disclaimer alert: Before I'm chided or patronized by the originator of this thread--I HAVE read all of the posts!

I had an even LONGER post to this thread...and then suddenly it dawned on me that I'd only be an 'enabler' for this silliness to continue--some people are 'addicted' to arguments. However I do feel the urge to say this much:

IF I don't like a cache--I leave it alone. Nothing more needs to be said about it.

The design of someone else's cache is none of my business and I'm very much OKAY with that.

OH--and do I think that OzGuff 'randomly' chose the cache he is questioning???? :P Yeah--right.

I originally thought events to meet other cachers would be fun and something to plan for--but I will now think MORE THAN twice about attending events in some areas close to where I live since some cachers are taking this sport more seriously than the government takes 'taxes'!!!

Geesh--I might forget and offer a 'smile' to someone at any inappropriate time, drive a vehicle which isn't 'cachically correct' or decide I want to actually hunt for area caches rather than discuss their designs to death from behind my computer....

I'm sure I'd be the next topic of discussion on the forums if OzGuff saw me! :P

Edited by VAtechnoteacher
If I look down, see a quarter in the street, and pick it up, I've found 25 cents.  If I throw it back down three more times, have I now found $1?  If you cannot grasp this, maybe Fizzy can explain it better, that dude is pretty smart.

Wow Criminal, you never cease to amaze me. This is the best analogy relating to "extra smilies" I've seen yet. It just goes to show how silly people must be to claim the find more than once.

Count up your finds anyway you like, but more smileys = more fun.

So if we didn't have any fun, but we found the cache, why do we get a smilie?

A smilie is only a representation that you found the cache. It does not measure the amount of fun you had.

Well.. my second smilie indicates I had enough fun on my first smilie to go find another. My third smilie implies that the average of my first two were suffecient to keep looking for caches.

So, more smilies do imply more fun. :P

Edited by Moose Mob
If I look down, see a quarter in the street, and pick it up, I've found 25 cents.  If I throw it back down three more times, have I now found $1?  If you cannot grasp this, maybe Fizzy can explain it better, that dude is pretty smart.

Don't flame me HJ, I like you.

Who, me, flame? :P

Yeah but if I said there was a quarter in my front yard and if you came out to pick it up wearing a tinfoil hat, balancing "the rock that rolls" on your head, wearing a mylar jumpsuit and holding a sign that said "Beam Me Up Scotty" that I'd give you 75 cents in addition to that quarter, plus everyone who saw a photo of you doing this would have a hearty chuckle, now isn't that better than just coming out to pick up the quarter and then having everyone read your log: "found it easily, took a quarter, left three dimes, signed log, TFTC." *yawn*

It's all about having fun. If I can add 4 smileys to your count or 4 quarters to your pocket to get you to do something really silly so we can all laugh about it, who's been harmed? Moosiegirl's got around 4000 finds. Those extra 3 I stuck on her account amount to less than 0.1 percent error. She still has found eight times as many caches as I have.

BTW, these guys also have more than 4000 finds and each logged a bonus smiley on

The Picard Nuptials (GCJC9B) for this stunt:

ce393e35-136a-4a5f-8716-1020029160bd.jpg

Does it mean that they're not 4000+ cache finders? Does anyone care that their (purist) 'found' total is really 4053 instead of 4054? Or 4051? Who have they cheated by posting that extra smiley? And how much has the sport benefitted from a creative hide and a sense of humor?

I feel bad for folks who live in areas where the sport is simply: 1) hike to the spot, 2) find an ammo can under the logs, 3) sign the logbook, 4) post a smiley... and there's no creativity other than that in hiding, finding, scoring, sharing, and being crazy and having a laugh at each others expense. Austin Texas is one place where caching is really fun and creative and it goes way beyond the basic mechanics (and 'scoring') of the game.

So I'm in agreement with my uglier brother Snoogans on this one.

Boy, folks sure are sensitive in SW VA! :P

Reading this thread in a vacuum I see no reason for the above "attack" from VAtechnoteacher. If I had really wanted this thread to be an attack on a particular cache owner why would I have just posted a few sentences from the cache description when I could have placed a link to the actual cache page? It seems to me that I did a pretty decent job of hiding the identity of the cache (and cache owner) in question.

It was a post from Konnarock Kid & Marge that implied the cache was from VA/TN. This was followed by a post from Geo-Deputy who alleged he knew the cache owner. Finally your off-topic addition to the thread may lead more credibility to the implication that the cache is located in NE TN/SW VA. I don't CARE where the cache is located, I just asked for opinions on the practice.

The original question asked about the practice of multiple smilies; there was no negativity directed toward the cache owner and I clearly stated that the cache owner has virtually absolute control of their cache page.

If you would like to come down off of your high horse and add to the discussion...

IF I don't like a cache--I leave it alone. Nothing more needs to be said about it.

The design of someone else's cache is none of my business and I'm very much OKAY with that.

Am I to take it from the above quote that you don't like the cache in question? Or the practice of multiple smilies? I wasn't asking about the design of the cache, just the practice of multiple smilies.

Geesh--I might forget and offer a 'smile' to someone at any inappropriate time,

When did smiley's become things to be "offered"? They are a nothing but a log type, or at least were until recently. Suddenly they have become commodities.

I feel bad for folks who live in areas where the sport is simply1) hike to the spot, 2) find an ammo can under the logs, 3) sign the logbook, 4) post a smiley and there's no creativity other than that in hiding, finding, scoring, sharing, and being crazy and having a laugh at each others expense.

I live in an area where we 1) hike to the spot, 2) find an ammo can under the logs, 3) sign the logbook, 4) post a smiley. There are all kinds of creativity in hiding and we enjoy sharing, being crazy and having a laugh at each other's expense. We just don't

need to add fake "found it" logs in order to do so.

Actually I feel bad for the kind of people who aren't able to have this kind of fun unless they can pad their find count.

Edited by briansnat
Actually I feel bad the kind of people who aren't able to have this kind of fun unless they can pad their find count.

Again, what padding? 0.1 percent? How does that harm anyone? Of what benefit is a totally 100% accurate find count? What's one extra smiley in 4000? In 5000? in 600 even?

Who's keeping score, and for what purpose? Checking my profile, I see I have almost 600 finds. I score my finds my way. I don't claim a find unless I stamped the log, and if the owner offers me another smiley for wearing a wedding veil and posting a photo in the online log, I'm gonna be all over that, if I could find someone to hoist my 'Hugh Jazz' over the threshhold, so much the better! :rolleyes:

Smilies are monopoly money guys. It's not legal tender. There is not going to be a big tally at the end and the one with the most smilies wins a prize. So who cares if someone grabs an extra one now and then? They're free. Take all you want.

Anyway, if TPTB wanted us to log only one smiley per found, they could easily reprogram the site to limit users to one 'found' post per cache page. TC.com does this. Over there, the various scorings are actually part of the playing and strategy of the game. Here it just isn't played that way.

Hey Guff (ooooppppssss....sorry that is OzGuff isn't it?)--'high horses' saddled, delivered to my door and ready to ride are so much fun-- :D

You've just proved the point of my first response to this thread--you just LOVE to be disagreeable.

You didn't post the name of the cache owner or cache because then the point (perhaps indirect point) of your thread would be more obvious to your reading public! :rolleyes:

Move your 'important' questions about cache design to focus on another state or group and then there will be no incorrect assumptions (and no feelings hurt) on anyone's part. Er...unless you have enemies (er...I mean friends) everywhere like those you're cultivating in Virginia!

Since you somehow missed my opinion from my last post, let me encapsulate it again for you (these forum posts ARE for opinions to the really IMPORTANT questions posed here, aren't they?)

1. We/you should have fun and hunt the caches we/you want to hunt, without being critical of those who 'designed' caches to reflect the way they wanted to play the game. (Let's see--I think JoGPS said that early on in this discussion.)

2. We/you should mind our/your own business and practice some measure of maturity and good judgement when 'playing' in public--even on forums, where anonymity allows passive-aggressive behavior. To do otherwise will cause our/your mother to be embarrassed for us! :-)

and--

3. When we/you wander out of your personal space to finger-point at others and their actions (even indirectly), we'll/you'll risk being called a busy body. People may (gasp!) even question our/your motives for doing so!

Are my contributions to this post clear now?

:P:PB):lol::DB):DB):lol:

oh sorry--should there be a 5/5 somewhere for all of the smilies? I know they aren't 'given' and you really should earn them--but trust me, these forums posts have provided me with quadruple smilies today and I haven't left the house yet.....

I've changed my mind--I'm coming to one of the events in your 'neck of the woods' and I'm bringing my latest copy of 'Miss Manners' which has a chapter in it on playing nice with others in case anyone/you want to borrow it.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Okay--I've 'played' with you long enough--can't wait to meet you in real life.

You gotta be a real trip!

Merry Christmas!

Edited by VAtechnoteacher

I have no problems with cachers in East TN and/or SW VA. (OK -- maybe a small problem with one of them...) It just so happens that the text quoted may come from a cache in TN or VA, but I could have quoted text from many similar caches.

Considering your admission in this reply to a post--

Why didn't you pick a cache somewhere else????

credibility issues????

Wouldn't have been nearly as much fun as this has been now would it?

:rolleyes::P:lol::lol::lol::lol:B):DB):lol::lol::lol:

Actually I feel bad the kind of people who aren't able to have this kind of fun unless they can pad their find count.

Again, what padding? 0.1 percent? How does that harm anyone? Of what benefit is a totally 100% accurate find count? What's one extra smiley in 4000? In 5000? in 600 even?

Who's keeping score, and for what purpose? Checking my profile, I see I have almost 600 finds. I score my finds my way. I don't claim a find unless I stamped the log, and if the owner offers me another smiley for wearing a wedding veil and posting a photo in the online log, I'm gonna be all over that, if I could find someone to hoist my 'Hugh Jazz' over the threshhold, so much the better! :rolleyes:

Smilies are monopoly money guys. It's not legal tender. There is not going to be a big tally at the end and the one with the most smilies wins a prize. So who cares if someone grabs an extra one now and then? They're free. Take all you want.

Anyway, if TPTB wanted us to log only one smiley per found, they could easily reprogram the site to limit users to one 'found' post per cache page. TC.com does this. Over there, the various scorings are actually part of the playing and strategy of the game. Here it just isn't played that way.

How does that harm anyone?

It doesn't, but what does it gain anybody. An added picture of being goofy could be easily completed by posting a note.

Of what benefit is a totally 100% accurate find count?

Um, well, it is called the truth about someone and the number of caches they have found.

What's one extra smiley in 4000?  In 5000?  in 600 even?

It is nothing, except for when someone just starts and looks around the site and sees that it is an acceptable practice and logs two events for 20 finds. Then it carries on throughout their caching career. .1% now can easily become 10% if you try hard enough.

Who's keeping score, and for what purpose?

Good question and I will answer with a question.......Why fake the number of caches you have found?

OK, 0.1 percent, ten percent, this is small potatoes.

Let's take this to a logical extreme. What if I, as a new cacher, go out and seek 5 caches, each of which the owner has said you can claim an extra smiley for doing something silly and posting a photo. So I post 10 smilies in my first week.

Now, tell me, how does my posting 10 finds instead of 5 hurt you, exactly? How does it detract from your enjoyment of the game in any way? Do these extra five smileys come off your account? Does Groundspeak hit your paypal account for a buck a find? What's the big deal? To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson: If I post one smiley or two, it neither picks your pocket nor breaks your leg...

Call it faking, call it cheating, does it actually hurt you? Show me how you are injured by it.

:rolleyes:

(BTW, Bet you didn't think I'd figure out a way to quote one of the founding fathers in a thread not about 'guns'... :lol:

Edited by Hugh Jazz
Call it faking, call it cheating, does it actually hurt you? Show me how you are injured by it.

Do you post finds on your own caches? That wouldn't hurt anybody else either, would it?

IMO, the "victims" here are those people who are so numbers-obsessed that they are willing to trade their integrity for some yellow pixels and a number. Except they really aren't "victims" since they willingly gave their integrity away.

Do you post finds on your own caches? That wouldn't hurt anybody else either, would it?

IMO, the "victims" here are those people who are so numbers-obsessed that they are willing to trade their integrity for some yellow pixels and a number. Except they really aren't "victims" since they willingly gave their integrity away.

...but it doesn't hurt YOU, does it?

Answer the question. Show me how it hurts YOU. don't tell me about victims and self respect and any of that other B.S. How does someone posting 2 for 1 hurt YOU?

Went back and reread OzGuff original post to try to see what made me fly off the handle so fast and it was these two statements

( 1 ) What I want to know is how folks feel about the practice of offering an extra smilie for some non-caching activity

( 2 ) I suppose the extra smilie winds up similar to a couch cache find.

Looks like you are asking what everyone thinks about the practice of multiple smilie logs and at the same time calling them couch potatoes for doing it, what do you really expect a warm and friendly response.

Let folks play the way they want to, it don’t cost anyone any extra does it, but to attract people that play their own way, you will get flamed …………….. JOE

How does someone posting 2 for 1 hurt YOU?

It doesn't hurt me.

But let's suppose, for the sake of argument, there is someone with 600 finds, of which 100 are double-posted over another 100. This person has only found 500 caches. When asked, "what's your find count?", what do they say? 600? If they do, they're lying. They haven't found 600 caches. They've only found 500. Do they refuse to answer the find count question? Do they fudge? "500, but my profile says 600 because I like to have fun!" , or "the website says 600 but that's not accurate." - or what?

Your find count is the total number of caches you've found. if you pad it and then present the number in public as genuine, then you're a faker and a liar. What's so hard to understand about that?

Your find count is the total number of caches you've found.

If you visit your profile page and click on the tab that says "user statistics", you'll see that your smiley cooresponds to an type of entry in a "list of items found". There's nothing in there for "dressed up funny for extra credit."

That would probably be Waymarking.com. :rolleyes:

Now, tell me, how does my posting 10 finds instead of 5 hurt you, exactly?  How does it detract from your enjoyment of the game in any way?  Do these extra five smileys come off your account?  Does Groundspeak hit your paypal account for a buck a find?  What's the big deal?  To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson: If I post one smiley or two, it neither picks your pocket nor breaks your leg... 

Call it faking, call it cheating, does it actually hurt you?  Show me how you are injured by it.

(BTW, Bet you didn't think I'd figure out a way to quote one of the founding fathers in a thread not about 'guns'... :lol:

Now, tell me, how does my posting 10 finds instead of 5 hurt you, exactly?

It hurts my respect for you as an honest person. It makes me lose the respect of you as a cache finder. I lose belief in your integrity. When you claim a DNF, I may rush out a little faster since you have 1000 finds because it probably isn't there. But wait, since you have really only found 100 cache logged a bunch of times, you may just not have been able to find it. There are many variables of how someone fluffing their numbers can affect other people. Heck there is a guy who has a stat page of peoples rankings by number of finds. That is all out the window because people are having fun (lying) on their finds.

Suppose Michael Jordan really only scored 20 points a game, but the other team decided to tell the scorekeeper to give him another 10 every game. Is he really the greatest basketball player to ever play the game?

I am still wondering why you skirted the issue of posting a note for all the extra fun instead of loggin another smiley. Care to expound on why that is not a good (read honest) solution?

Edited by 5¢
It hurts my respect for you as an honest person. It makes me lose the respect of you as a cache finder. I lose belief in your integrity. When you claim a DNF, I may rush out a little faster since you have 1000 finds because it probably isn't there. But wait, since you have really only found 100 cache logged a bunch of times, you may just not have been able to find it. There are many variables of how someone fluffing their numbers can affect other people. Heck there is a guy who has a stat page of peoples rankings by number of finds. That is all out the window because people are having fun (lying) on their finds.

I am still wondering why you skirted the issue of posting a note for all the extra fun instead of loggin another smiley. Care to expound on why that is not a good (read honest) solution?

But none of your examples show how you are HURT by this.

And to answer your question, I think it would be perfectly acceptable to post a note instead of a smiley, with the photo of the extra craziness. (wow bet you weren't expecting that answer!)

Now answer my question. How does it hurt YOU?

I think you are proving my point. It does not hurt you. Call someone a cheat and a liar if they do this but stilll they have not harmed you one bit.

If Treyb (4000+ finds) or The Outlaw (4000+ finds) goes out and posts a DNF, will it really hurt you when you get there to find out that they only have 3999 finds? It doesn't. Man will you be P.O.'d to find out they cheated by that one smiley. You ran all the way out there, you were deceived.

When Treyb is listed as 4000 in the stats, and joe_schmoe is listed as 3999 but when you dig in you find that Treyb only really 'found' 3998, how does this harm either You or joe_schmoe? Does joe_schmoe lose out on some big prize, does Treyb win the cadillac deville with XM radio that Groundspeak is giving away for the most smilies?

The answer is, you are not harmed by this practice. Admit it. You (find-count purists) are not harmed whether I post one smiley or two.

On the other hand, it won't kill me to post a note either, but the fact is, people are doing it and the site does not programmatically prevent it. So it will happen. You can't stop it. But it doesn't hurt you so why try?

The only harm it does you is raise your B.P. when you (purists) obsess on it too much. But that's your fault. So chill out. Have a raspberry snow cone, have some popcorn. Have a smiley, they're free.

Your find count is the total number of caches you've found. if you pad it and then present the number in public as genuine, then you're a faker and a liar. What's so hard to understand about that?

I think that nails it. Most of us like to think good of our fellow geocachers and it galls us to find that there are cheaters and liars among us. It doesn't hurt me personally (unless I'm wasting my time hunting a long missing cache that one of the liars claimed to have recently found) but it is very disappointing.

But none of your examples show how you are HURT by this.

You don't have to personally be hurt by something to feel that it is wrong. If I find my best friend is cheating on his wife, it doesn't hurt me, but I do reserve the right to think less of him.

The answer is, you are not harmed by this practice. Admit it. You (find-count purists) are not harmed whether I post one smiley or two.

On the other hand, it won't kill me to post a note either, but the fact is, people are doing it and the site does not programmatically prevent it. So it will happen. You can't stop it. But it doesn't hurt you so why try?

Eh. Probably the exact train of though in logging TBs you didn't handle, coins you didn't handle, logging virtual TBs through caches you never visited, etc., etc.

Nothing really hurts some folks until the practice gets so far out of whack somebody does something that affects everyone.

Children are supposed to test bounds. Adults are supposed to know where those boundaries are and not cross them. That's what being a responsible adult is about.

The answer is, you are not harmed by this practice. Admit it.  You (find-count purists) are not harmed whether I post one smiley or two. 

On the other hand, it won't kill me to post a note either, but the fact is, people are doing it and the site does not programmatically prevent it.  So it will happen.  You can't stop it.  But it doesn't hurt you so why try?

Eh. Probably the exact train of though in logging TBs you didn't handle, coins you didn't handle, logging virtual TBs through caches you never visited, etc., etc.

Nothing really hurts some folks until the practice gets so far out of whack somebody does something that affects everyone.

Children are supposed to test bounds. Adults are supposed to know where those boundaries are and not cross them. That's what being a responsible adult is about.

woo-hoo! woot, woot, woot.

that's all i have to say about THAT.

OK that's what I wanted to see. We're apparently in agreement that it doesn't hurt you at all. If you guys honestly think that Treyb and The Outlaw and others with 4000 smileys but only 3999 'real' finds are cheaters and liars on a par with guys who cheat on their wives, you are taking this silly game way too seriously and need to recalibrate.

So if it ain't hurting you, kindly "quitcherbitchin'" and let people play the game the way they want to.

When TPTB feel that it is a problem, they will fix it so that only one smiley can be logged per cache page. I'm thinking that would take less time than it took me to write "quitcherbitchin'" :rolleyes:

A smilie is only a representation that you found the cache. It does not measure the amount of fun you had.

Even this is not entirely true. Had a log deleted for saying exactly what I thought of the cache. Relogged as 'Found it'.

Had another smilie disappear because the cache was 'retracted'. This seems to be the same as an annulment saying that the 'marriage never existed.' Oh, well. I'm not a 'numbers ho'. (HAH!)

Huge Jazz asks how it hurts him. It doesn't. The thought here is 'integrity'. This is not a competition (I'm in the top 2000!!) To thine ownself be true. I have discovered that a lot of geocachers have no integrity (okay, hopefully, a small percentage.) Will I have diminished respect for cheaters? Definitely. Will they care? Not in the slightest.

Incidentally, this applies to hiders as well as finders. I can think of a few who either are so bad that their coords are usually far off, or do they deliberately make the coords far off to bolster their ego? I haven't determined the answer to this.

I won't go into the abuse of the Locationless Caches (which might be part of the reason that they've been banished.) Okay, one example: Toys R Us is not Gramatically Incorrect. It's a trademark, for goodness sake.

To sum up my thought here: Integrity. If you have none, then log anything you want. Some cache owners encourage it, some permit it, some do not. Huge Azz asks if it hurts me? Nope. I'm just sorry to see the game devolve.

Edited by Harry Dolphin
OK that's what I wanted to see. We're apparently in agreement that it doesn't hurt you at all. If you guys honestly think that Treyb and The Outlaw and others with 4000 smileys but only 3999 'real' finds are cheaters and liars on a par with guys who cheat on their wives, you are taking this silly game way too seriously and need to recalibrate.

So if it ain't hurting you, kindly "quitcherbitchin'" and let people play the game the way they want to.

When TPTB feel that it is a problem, they will fix it so that only one smiley can be logged per cache page. I'm thinking that would take less time than it took me to write "quitcherbitchin'" :rolleyes:

When TPTB feel that it is a problem, they will fix it so that only one smiley can be logged per cache page.  I'm thinking that would take less time than it took me to write "quitcherbitchin'" :lol:

TPTB shouldn't have to change the whole system to make people understand one cache one smiley. Nor should TPTB have to make a dictionary sized rule book because people want to do this or do that. I don't think you can argue that...(wait I take that back)......Common sense would tell you that one equals one.

I would hope and expect that the top cachers in the world would have been doing this long enough to lead by example and show the newbies the right way to do things instead of running up their stats.

In my part of the country that sort of thing isn't done. You wouldn't be able to show your face at the next geo-gathering if you did.

Uh, I guess you haven't seen Boulter's multi in Los Altos then... There are at least eight locals I know I've seen at events with two smileys for that one.

OK I've cogitated over it and tossed and turned all night over it and I hate to admit it but I think you 'purists' may be right. There should only be one smiley logged per cache. It's a find count, nothing more, and I believe it should be programmatically enforced as such on the site.

When I placed my 4-smiley webcam cache, I thought the extra smileys would bring in more finders. Now that I think of it and peruse the logs, every one of those guys would have done all those crazy things just for ONE smiley. Pretty sure of that. So the effect woulda been the same. Lotsa fun and no inflation of the find count.

I'm on the fence as to whether an event 'cache' should even be logged as a find. I'm leaning toward 'no.' It's an event, not a cache. But, maybe that's a new topic (most likely an old one too).

Now will you purists please let me get back to sleep? I'ts 4 AM for pete's sake. ;)

:anitongue:

I'm on the fence as to whether an event 'cache' should even be logged as a find. I'm leaning toward 'no.' It's an event, not a cache. But, maybe that's a new topic (most likely an old one too).

The pull down for an event says "attended" not "found it". If this site wants to include that in my statistics I have no control over it. I guess I could log a note but "attended" is the accurate log time.

Now that (1.) Hugh Jazz has defected from the Dark Side, and (2.) I couldn't even be bothered with pointing out various inaccuracies, inconsistencies and ambiguities of a number of the above posters, time to close out this thread. Thanks to all who played!