Starter Gps Reccomendations

Wynder

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I figure I'll pose it again as technology and opinions change over time. I'm looking to get into geocaching for myself and my family -- since our kid is fairly young, we'll be sticking to parks and areas that are easily accessible.

So, I'm looking for a basic GPS -- something that's going to have a built-in compass and the ability to connect to a PC to enter in coordinates, all while staying below $125 or so. Checking Amazon I see a few options:

Garmin eTrex GPS ($80)

Garmin eTrex Venture 1MB ($114)

Garmin Geko 201 ($109)

Garmin eTrex Legend ($119)

Garmin Foretrex 201 Wrist-Mounted ($125)

From my standpoint, the $80 model is looking pretty good. :P Interfaces with the PC, has a compass -- granted, from the product overview, it doesn't really have maps but, for me, getting to the area of the cache location isn't going to be too difficult (if it is, I have a TomTom Go 700 to aid me there).

So, any thoughts or opinions?

Edited by Wynder

Forget about that $80 model. It will not interface with anything without a cable, and it doesn't come with one. The Legend does come with a cable. So if you buy the $80 yeloow model, and then you spend another $20 on a cable, then the difference is only $20 for the Legend. The Legend is vastly superior to the Yellow. Besides allowing you to add maps, the screen resolution is much better, it gives you double the number of waypoints and the Trip Computer page is awesome.

Edit: Forget about the Venture too! $5.00 difference for the additional memory is a no-brainer. The Venture's 1MB is for Points of Interest only - it will not allow any graphic map detail.

Edited by Neo_Geo
Forget about that $80 model. It will not interface with anything without a cable, and it doesn't come with one. The Legend does come with a cable. So if you buy the $80 yeloow model, and then you spend another $20 on a cable, then the difference is only $20 for the Legend. The Legend is vastly superior to the Yellow. Besides allowing you to add maps, the screen resolution is much better, it gives you double the number of waypoints and the Trip Computer page is awesome.

Looking through some of the reviews on Amazon for the yellow eTrex, I'd probably have to agree.

From my standpoint, the $80 model is looking pretty good. smile.gif Interfaces with the PC, has a compass

Yes but the cable is a $30 add one. Once you factor that in, you're pretty close to the Legend which comes with cable.

Since you have a TomTom for your car I'd go with the Legend and get the Mapsource Topo maps.

If you have no desire for maps, the Geko 201 is a nice little unit. It too comes sans cable so in the end it will cost you more than the Legend.

Just so we can clarify costing, the cable is $15 USD.. I do agree the Legend does make more sense.

If you do care a lot about price, buy used. eBay is your friend.

One more point is that the newer color Garmin handhelds get a better reception. If where you live and cache has lots of tree cover, it might be worth considering.

Edited by Red90

I have a number of GPSrs (including Yellow Etrex, blue Legend and an iQue 3600); the one that is in my hands when I am searching for a cache is the Legend. It does this particular job better than many others in its price range. If you are into maps, go for the LegendC or GPSmap 60C, but it will cost you a lot more because you still have to buy the maps in addition to spending more for the GPSr.