When Are New Caches Published?

Treywpga

Hello again everyone... what time of the day approxiamtely (Eastern time) are the new caches published?? I live in Northern Virginia and there seems to be a small army of cachers here that go after all of the new caches and I would like to give them a run for their money occasionally. Whats the best way to get notification of a new cache being published in a 35-50 mile area around my home??? Thanks for all your help and happy hunting.

Trey

As stated, new publications are not automated and they vary according to the volunteer cache reviewer's schedule.

Savvy FTF hounds will learn to predict their reviewer's habits. For example, I am a night owl and it is not unusual for a cache in my territory to be published at 2:00 a.m. I especially like doing this now that we have the insta-notify feature, so I imagine I am waking people up when their cellphones ring. :huh:

I published six caches before I drove in to work today. After I go write up two documents, visit with a client, and grab some lunch, I will see if anyone hid any this morning. Tonight after my daughter goes to sleep, I will check again.

Your reviewer may be on an entirely different schedule. Some of us travel a lot and cannot check in every day. Others do not have access to a computer all day at work, and do their volunteer work only in the evenings.

The best solution is to be a premium member and sign up for e-mail notifications of new cache publications using the insta-notify feature. I've collected some FTF tips in this post from the Frequently Asked Questions thread that's pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.

Edited by Keystone

I think nobody knows the answer to the OP's question. Try to predict the unpredictable? Bah, not even I know how to predict cache publishing in VA, even after geocaching for several years now.

All I know is, I'm glad to see every single new cache appear in VA even though I'm not a FTF hound.

I think the notification emails that premium members can create is your best choice. Either that or get a FTF's phone # and have them call you when they're headed out. :P:P:D:)

And don't forget that you can sometimes ask your approver (in the note to reviewer area of the cacahe submission page) REALLY nicely to publish your cache on a certain day, at a certain time. And if they are at all capable, most are willing to figure out a way to do this. But the cache HAS to be submitted early enough that they can make certain it is even approvable first.

:P

And having their pay pal ID helps alot! :P

Here it seems to depend on the day. Some days none, some days a couple. Some days morning, some days evening. I gave up trying to figure it out, I just use insta-notify... I'm not a FTF person either, I just like seeing if a new one pops up that I can look for next time I'm out without checking the state page all the time.

11:32 am, london time, with no daylight savings

(seriously caches are always being submitted, and then are reviewed by a volunteer when they have time. amusing there are no problems or questions to be checked out, a new cache will be listed whenever the review is done... Sometimes you just have to be ready to go, and watch the site like a hawk (or get a PM and setup an instant notice and watch your email))

My very first hide was archived within a week of being published. It was published LATE in the evening, and all the FTF'ers in the area flocked to it. It was a very residential area, and neighbors called the police. I have had a more recent hide almost go through the same thing, and it's still not out of the water. It, too, was published late at night.

Call me a ninny, but when I submitted my last cache, I asked Admin to not publish it until morning hours. They respected my wishes, and lo and behold-that cache has been incident free! I am going to continue to ask for daytime hours...I don't like getting called by the police... :unsure:

My very first hide was archived within a week of being published. It was published LATE in the evening, and all the FTF'ers in the area flocked to it. It was a very residential area, and neighbors called the police. I have had a more recent hide almost go through the same thing, and it's still not out of the water. It, too, was published late at night.

Call me a ninny, but when I submitted my last cache, I asked Admin to not publish it until morning hours. They respected my wishes, and lo and behold-that cache has been incident free! I am going to continue to ask for daytime hours...I don't like getting called by the police... :unsure:

I think its more an issue of where you're placing your caches than when the cache is published.

I took a look at your cache. You said specifically that the cache was available all night, dusk to dawn. Why would the FTF'ers *not* come to your cache right away? If you don't want there to be night caching, please consider including the appropriate instructions and cache attributes on your cache pages.

As for requesting a specific release time for listing an ordinary cache, if everyone starts doing that, then volunteers might have to stop doing it. Personally I limit timed releases to caches hidden for events, etc., and only if advance notice is given per the listing guidelines.

Call me a ninny, but when I submitted my last cache, I asked Admin to not publish it until morning hours. They respected my wishes, and lo and behold-that cache has been incident free! I am going to continue to ask for daytime hours...I don't like getting called by the police... blink.gif

I took a look at your cache. You said specifically that the cache was available all night, dusk to dawn. Why would the FTF'ers *not* come to your cache right away? If you don't want there to be night caching, please consider including the appropriate instructions and cache attributes on your cache pages.

As for requesting a specific release time for listing an ordinary cache, if everyone starts doing that, then volunteers might have to stop doing it. Personally I limit timed releases to caches hidden for events, etc., and only if advance notice is given per the listing guidelines.

I know that my local reveiwers would probably stop doing the in-the-morning listings if everyone asked. In your description, note not to find until morning or whenever it is a problem.

One thing that is nice about a reviewer who has an OPEN schedule and enjoys the work they do is that it gives a fair shot to the others who normally do not even stand a chance of getting a FTF. I have listed caches late at night during a week day, after the morning commute is over - some were planned this way others were not. It is really fun on my end to see an active cacher who's timing is off or they are just a little too slow be able to grab a FTF. The only thing I can suggest is to watch the new listings in your area and try to determine if there is a pattern then submit your cache for review around the pattern.

:unsure: at Bogleman. It's a pleasure being your cache reviewer! I also get a kick out of switching things up and not listing caches at a predictable time. As I noted in an earlier post to this thread, my favorite is in the middle of the night. I like to think of all the cellphones ringing with the insta-notify message. :lol: Edited by Keystone