Cache Moved

5winters

Help! I need some imput. My first hide ' Hidden Ponds' was hidden in a publicly accesssable park next to a fenced area that is private property. My intent was for the finders to discover the park in between two subdivisions, not to park on the closest major road and hop fences. So I get the notice that some guy tresspassed and and decided to move the cache to a better loaction. I have dissabled the cache untill I can get out there and find out what has happened? I dropped him an email to find out what he did. Not only that but he logged two finds one on the find and another saying he moved it? If this is what is done to caches I may cancel plans to hide others. Any input. :P

5winters

So really your busybody is the one who made the cache inappropriate in his own eyes for doing something he disapproved of. If he didn't want to jump a fence, why did he do it, that's his problem. You gave coords, it's up to him to find the right way in. (Something I need to work on, I'm always bushwacking and then finding a clean trail. :P )

[EDIT: Badd Speelling]

Edited by Airmapper

The person should not have moved your cache, but maybe his logging the second location was intended to be a note rather than a find and he did it wrong. I do think all this is unusual. People do move one of my caches to a "better" location but the don't move it far and they never tell me. I discover it because a person posts a DNF or somebody says the coordinates are off, of I discover it on a maintenance run. There's this location nearby that makes it harder to find and people seem to think harder's better. But, I don't want it to be harder to find.

Like someone said, now that this has come up you might add a note to the cache description. Something like, "Please do not park on the street or climb fences to reach this cache. It's not necessary and could cause the cache to be banished."

Edited by Thot

Some people learn as they go, and dont understand the way the game is played as well as others, as a result. Usually a friendly note is all that is needed to correct this. I also noticed the cacher has logged 11 finds on their own cache while bringing their grandchildren to visit and picking up/dropping off travelbugs. These are honest mistakes, as I dont think they are intentionally done.

I was able to get out and move it back to the correct location. I update my cache page to reflect that the access was not where people were coming from. I didnt give exact parking location because that may take the fun out of the cache as that was what I felt was the hard part. Thanks for the imput and Im working on my second cache hide.

. . .  I didnt give exact parking location because that may take the fun out of the cache as that was what I felt was the hard part.

I would like to disagree with your statement about not putting in parking coordinates. Although it might seem like part of the game to figure out trail access, I don't think that is the "fun" part.

I always try to give either parking coordinates or trail access coordinates. The fun should be getting out of your car and walking to the cache from the correct direction, IMHO. :ninja:

That would work for people who actually look at the cache page, however most "Paperless" cachers only look at the cache description on their PDA and wouldn't see the picture.

I often don't see the cache page until I'm logging it after a day of caching.

On four of my new caches I gave three additional coordinates, one for where the side road turns off a paved road, one where you park (before a gate with a No Trespassing sign on the back side of it), and another one only 80 feet away where the horse trail goes up a little hill.

I want people to enjoy the walk to my cache. I don't want them to be all frustrated because it took them forever to figure out how to get into an unfamiliar area.

. . .  I didnt give exact parking location because that may take the fun out of the cache as that was what I felt was the hard part.

I would like to disagree with your statement about not putting in parking coordinates. Although it might seem like part of the game to figure out trail access, I don't think that is the "fun" part.

I always try to give either parking coordinates or trail access coordinates. The fun should be getting out of your car and walking to the cache from the correct direction, IMHO. :ninja:

I agree with Miragee about the parking location. While it might be easy to find the correct place to park because you know about the area, a lot of people don't. There is nothing I hate more than driving around an area to find where I am suppose to park to get to a cache. I am out to find a cache, not a parking space.

I agree with Miragee about the parking location. While it might be easy to find the correct place to park because you know about the area, a lot of people don't. There is nothing I hate more than driving around an area to find where I am suppose to park to get to a cache. I am out to find a cache, not a parking space.

I agree with all of them. There was this one cache where it told us not recommended to park because there was an accident recently there. so we were looking for it for about 5 minutes but couldn't seem to find the area. This was a DNF because of erosin and too thick of brush so I went on google Eart and tried to look for the parking space. There it was. closer to the cache from where we parked. It was off of some back road that we were not familiar with anyway. I guess I should use the zoom out button a little more :P

So now there are rules to tell ppl how to get to the cache? I disagree. That's the beauty of Geocaching itself. Everybody has their ideas about what is a nice cache and what is not. If I drive up to a location and I see someones back yard between me and the cache, I'm gonna find another way in. I don't want people to make the hunt too easy. What's the fun in that? If you like directions right to the cache there are plenty out there to do. Some of us like the challenge of the hunt. Maybe an all day multi or having to circle the cache to find the best way in. If you want to leave a picture of the parking lot, that should be fine too. If the Cacher doesn't take time to look at it that would be their fault. But then I'm not into numbers as much as a good hunt. I seek out the multi caches and the ones deep in the woods.

Not rules, just preferences. I prefer it if the cache owner provides trailhead coordinates if the trail is difficult to find for someone unfamiliar with the area.

I have driven around and around neighborhoods wasting time and gas looking for a narrow public access trail between two houses and just don't think that is fun, nor is it part of "Geocaching," IMHO.

Some of us cannot use Google Earth (my dialup connection speed is only 24K) and my maps do not give me any clues how to access a canyon or suburban alley.

I would so much rather get to the designated parking, or trail access coordinates, and get out and start walking towards the cache, enjoying the trail, or the park, or the canyon, or the woods than continue to drive around looking for trail access and/or a place to park my car.

Several months ago I remember a post here in the Forums by someone who drove more than 20 miles around and around looking for access to a trail in the town they were visiting. :D They did not have a happy time, never found the trail access, and obviously never found the cache.

That is why I think parking or trail access coordinates are a nice courtesy. :P

I'm with Miragee on this one - making the hide difficult or challenging can be fun. Making finding a place to park difficult isn't fun, IMO, it's frustrating. I don't geocache to spend more time in my car! :P Plus, if parking coordinates are given, you don't have to use them (they're only of value if you choose to enter them into your GPSr). So provide the parking coordinates, and let those who enjoy finding a parking spot on their own ignore them.

While it's obvious that this person has little idea about logging finds or general cache ettiquette, I don't agree that the person is just clueless about logging multiple finds - you have to choose a log type, and the other choices are right there in the drop down. But that's not affecting anyone else (just his own numbers), so who cares?

As for moving a cache, the Geocachers Creed is a good reference for these kinds of issues. Moving caches is specifically addressed in the examples under Protect the Integrity of the Game Pieces (fourth bullet).

I found your cache the same day it was moved, like I said in my log the board that is on the fence was put their by kids to cross, how do I know this, I watched some kids do it.

The cache is a great cache get it back on line and don't worry about it getting moved, you'll find people do that, I've had caches moved to the point I couldn't even find them.

One thing you might do is add the coords. to the parking area, that might help.

Again don't let one person spoil your fun, it's a great cache, now get out there and hide some more.