San Diego Cache Events

TFTC

:mad::P Don't forget to come to the South Bay next weekend for the event at Otay Lakes :D:P

GC1AJCR

A Lake, a Snake, and A Cake will be a fun event for the whole family. They'll be Geo-Bingo, raffle prizes, lots of nearby caches and a chance to picnic with your geo-buddies. Check out the cache page for more details.

Are you going to seed a dozen new caches along Otay Truck Trail for the event?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Hiking Offer to Goat Peak:

Turnaround cache: Rocky Peak, GC16WMG in Poway.

Meet Sunday, April 13 at 0700 at end of Quiet Valley Ln, N32 57.667 W116 59.804

Approx 1.5 miles and 1200 total elevation gain (170 loss) going up (i.e. one-way).

070d80dd-480b-4b33-82e6-66b75c94da70.jpg

What a great hike. ::laughing: Thanks for setting this up, Chuy! I am very grateful to Jahoadi and John for letting me carpool with them from RSD to the trailhead. Thanks, guys! :laughing:

Here is our little group at one of the caches. The views were unbelievable today.

b979edfa-5bfe-490a-86ee-3c33646a4a56.jpg

:huh::D Don't forget to come to the South Bay next weekend for the event at Otay Lakes :ph34r::ph34r:

GC1AJCR

A Lake, a Snake, and A Cake will be a fun event for the whole family. They'll be Geo-Bingo, raffle prizes, lots of nearby caches and a chance to picnic with your geo-buddies. Check out the cache page for more details.

There may be time to run the Otay Mountain Truck Trail after the event.. ? :P Otay takes about 5-6 hours to hit all of the geocaches. Great views! The west side of the trail starts just south of the event and goes east to the 94.

TA

Edited by Team Adelos

Looks like there might be a few of us doing the Rawson trail up in Temecula on April 26th. If anyone would like to join us, please post and we'll set it up! Tentatively, there is Team Reid, Canadian Grl, and possibly Habu!. Penfolds for breakfast? Will announce details closer to the 26th. Should be a fun trail!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :P

Looks like there might be a few of us doing the Rawson trail up in Temecula on April 26th. If anyone would like to join us, please post and we'll set it up! Tentatively, there is Team Reid, Canadian Grl, and possibly Habu!. Penfolds for breakfast? Will announce details closer to the 26th. Should be a fun trail!

Where is that trail Robyn? Do you have a cache I can center on or trailhead?

TA

Mom and I would like to join you...sounds like fun!

Mom and I would like to join you...sounds like fun!

You're going to love that drive.

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :(

Is this 2wd friendly? - I'm thinking about not bringing the jeep. These gas prices and 12 mpg are killing me. Either way I'm in forthis cache run.

Dave

Is this 2wd friendly? - I'm thinking about not bringing the jeep. These gas prices and 12 mpg are killing me. Either way I'm in forthis cache run.

Dave

Yeppers! It is 2WD accessible. The Simpson Clan and Grnzoom did it in a Prius. I'm leaving the Jeep behind as well. Glad to have everyone!

Robyn ;)

Dave

Yeppers! It is 2WD accessible. The Simpson Clan and Grnzoom did it in a Prius. I'm leaving the Jeep behind as well. Glad to have everyone!

Robyn ;)

We cached our way to Rawson Road entrance (GC160DZ) which would be a good meeting point. Bumpy road but lots of fun. There were two caches that we passed because we were not sure our former ChevyS10 could make it back up the hill. Some of the caches will take awhile to spot but the fun is in the search. Ya'll are gonna have so much fun! Watch for buffalo!!

Robyn :(

We cached our way to Rawson Road entrance (GC160DZ) which would be a good meeting point. Bumpy road but lots of fun. There were two caches that we passed because we were not sure our former ChevyS10 could make it back up the hill. Some of the caches will take awhile to spot but the fun is in the search. Ya'll are gonna have so much fun! Watch for buffalo!!

I would like to attend the Rawson Trail run. I can't make the Otay Truck trail as I already have ATV plans.

Steve

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid ;)

Dave

This sounds like fun! It's been nutty lately but I might finally be free next weekend!

Dave

Robyn :)

This sounds like fun! It's been nutty lately but I might finally be free next weekend!

There are a couple of caches on side roads that might not be safe to get in a Prius (though you could walk to them). If you have an SUV or truck, even 2-wheel drive, you should be able to drive to them all. Call us if you get stuck and we can likely swing out there and pull you out ;)

It looks like there are different time constraints for the Otay Mountain Truck Trail after the event. I will plan a run on that trail in the next few weeks for a day run. 5/6 hours is faster than I would like. I think the last time we did this trail, stop at all the caches, it was 6+. The truck trail is 2wd accessible for the main road. 4wd and higher clearance is good for two of the off shoots trails. At the east end of the truck trail is another dirt road with a couple caches on it. I think that supports 2wd also..

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid ;)

Dave

There are a couple of caches on side roads that might not be safe to get in a Prius (though you could walk to them). If you have an SUV or truck, even 2-wheel drive, you should be able to drive to them all. Call us if you get stuck and we can likely swing out there and pull you out :(

Made that run easily in our SUV without engaging 4WD. Very nice country road.

Went all the way into Hemet and then up the mountain to Lake Hemet and back

down via Aguanga and Santa Ysabel so's we could bring home an apple pie.

Just for the record it turns out that Santa Ysabel Julian-Apple Pie is much better

than Julian Julian-Apple Pie. Go figure.

Remember now, take lots of photos and post them including participant names

and Geocaching handles. None of those vacation-snapshot compositions either,

go nuts with some interesting layouts.

O yeah, watch-it with the unbunched socks too!

Harmon & Sandy

p.s. For your next adventure start thinking about Palomar Divide Road.

Edited by SD Rowdies
O yeah, watch-it with the unbunched socks too!

Harmon & Sandy

p.s. For your next adventure start thinking about Palomar Divide Road.

What, no warnings about watching for cameras during nature breaks? :)

The Palomar Divide is very fun! :)

Rats Pat, you gave away my diversions.

Edited by SD Rowdies

As far as the Rawson trail next Saturday, we'll be meeting at the Park & Ride to carpool off of Deer Springs Rd (GCTDRH) at 7:15, heading up to Penfolds for breakfast at 8:00 (28250 Old Town Front St, Temecula), and hitting the trail around 9:30. We should hit at least 25 caches along Rawson and De Portola Road. Not quite sure how long the ride will be, so bring some snacks and drinks to enjoy en route. This trail is 2WD accessible, so would love to have everyone join us!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :grin:

Starting cache will be Rawson Road Entrance (GC160DZ) and ending with Butterfield Stage (GC19X8V)

As far as the Rawson trail next Saturday, we'll be meeting at the Park & Ride to carpool off of Deer Springs Rd (GCTDRH) at 7:15, heading up to Penfolds for breakfast at 8:00 (28250 Old Town Front St, Temecula), and hitting the trail around 9:30. We should hit at least 25 caches along Rawson and De Portola Road. Not quite sure how long the ride will be, so bring some snacks and drinks to enjoy en route. This trail is 2WD accessible, so would love to have everyone join us!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :)

Starting cache will be Rawson Road Entrance (GC160DZ) and ending with Butterfield Stage (GC19X8V)

My wife and I will be able to attend- if not for the breakfast (too early for her) then we'll definitely see you at the trailhead at 9:30.

Dave

Here is a cache map of the area. It looks like we will be going clockwise around Lake Skinner:

da3b5f2a-1192-4920-802d-5a4acfa04bcf.jpg

I will probably meet you guys at 9:30AM too! If any other latebirds want to carpool let me know. We could meet at the same Park & Ride to carpool off of Deer Springs Rd at 8:45AMish. I will be driving my Durango.

Edited by TrailGators

A side road mentioned earlier as a possible 4WD requirement leads off the main track to a dead-end where Geocache named "Jeepnakd's 1000th Find!!! Cache Box" is placed.

It is about a quarter-mile to the hide and crosses a drainage dip that an SUV can handle easily. In truth a careful sedan driver should be able to handle it as well since the crossing should be dry by now.

Sandy and I finished by heading into Hemet so no comment on the final part of your route that heads southward.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :ph34r:

A side road mentioned earlier as a possible 4WD requirement leads off the main track to a dead-end where Geocache named "Jeepnakd's 1000th Find!!! Cache Box" is placed.

It is about a quarter-mile to the hide and crosses a drainage dip that an SUV can handle easily. In truth a careful sedan driver should be able to handle it as well since the crossing should be dry by now.

Sandy and I finished by heading into Hemet so no comment on the final part of your route that heads southward.

Harmon is correct about that side road. It has ruts that we easily crossed without 4-wheel drive. The other sketchy spot is at the end of Rawson up towards Black Mountain. There is one side road that ends in sand, though as long as you don't go all the way to the end (where the cache is), it should not be a problem. There was another road that had a cache on it, but that was archived for invading into the preserve area--as it should have been. I doubt you'll have any problems.

Harmon is correct about that side road. It has ruts that we easily crossed without 4-wheel drive. The other sketchy spot is at the end of Rawson up towards Black Mountain. There is one side road that ends in sand, though as long as you don't go all the way to the end (where the cache is), it should not be a problem. There was another road that had a cache on it, but that was archived for invading into the preserve area--as it should have been. I doubt you'll have any problems.

Thank you for all the helpful hints, crew! I'd rather be safe than sorry, so we'll keep an eye out on the trail. Maybe I'll drive my Jeep with it's recovery equip instead of my truck. Hmmm....

Thank you for the Hemet suggestion, Harmon! I'll check that route in case I can stay out late to play!

Robyn :ph34r:

Thank you for all the helpful hints, crew! I'd rather be safe than sorry, so we'll keep an eye out on the trail. Maybe I'll drive my Jeep with it's recovery equip instead of my truck. Hmmm....

Thank you for the Hemet suggestion, Harmon! I'll check that route in case I can stay out late to play!

Robyn :ph34r:

O, by the way, ... Y'all gonna die!

Hey, Robyn, how long do you think the ride will take? zeber and I might just be able to make it. ;)

OK, roll call for Saturday! If you could please post if you will be meeting us @ 7:15 at the park & ride for breakfast at Penfolds, or just meeting us up at the trailhead at 9:00. After our tour of the Rawson trail, some of us will be hangin' in Temecula, and some of us will be heading back home.

Looking forward to an awesome time!

OK, roll call for Saturday! If you could please post if you will be meeting us @ 7:15 at the park & ride for breakfast at Penfolds, or just meeting us up at the trailhead at 9:00. After our tour of the Rawson trail, some of us will be hangin' in Temecula, and some of us will be heading back home.

Mom, Chelsea, and I will be meeting you at the P&R at 7:15.

zeber and I will be there too! :)

I'll be there- but my wife said no to a long day of caching. So I'll meet everyone at the trailhead at 9am.

Dave

Robyn <_<

We (Paul & Michael) may be able to show up at the trail head.. don't wait for us though. I may just decide to sleep in for once! <_<

TA

Robyn <_<

We (Paul & Michael) may be able to show up at the trail head.. don't wait for us though. I may just decide to sleep in for once! <_<

TA

I can't tell for sure reading the previous posts, but is this trail best done in a 4-by or will 2wd do ok?

There's a group getting together to do Black Beard's Grotto on Sunday. If you haven't done this one and have some free time, please join us!

GCHW60 - Black Beard's Grotto

Meeting time: around 0800 near the Marine Room restaurant at La Jolla Shores

Tide: .5 low tide at 0945

Info from the cache page:

the coordinates listed above (N 32° 51.008 W 117° 15.821) will lead you not to me treasure; but to me treasure map. The length of this trek is not so very far, especially if you select the right place to park your fine car. Start your trek here: N 32 51.120 W 117 15.644 and have no fear, the roundtrip distance you travel will be close to a mile; albeit through damp slimy puddles and large slippery gravel.

Hope to see you there!

There's a group getting together to do Black Beard's Grotto on Sunday. If you haven't done this one and have some free time, please join us!

the coordinates listed above (N 32° 51.008 W 117° 15.821) will lead you not to me treasure; but to me treasure map. The length of this trek is not so very far, especially if you select the right place to park your fine car. Start your trek here: N 32 51.120 W 117 15.644 and have no fear, the roundtrip distance you travel will be close to a mile; albeit through damp slimy puddles and large slippery gravel.

Hope to see you there!

I remember getting pretty wet with a negative tide. Be very careful of the black rocks.. they are extremely slippery! Have a great time!

TA

Hope to see you there!

I remember getting pretty wet with a negative tide. Be very careful of the black rocks.. they are extremely slippery! Have a great time!

TA

I'll second the motion about those black rocks <_< but it is a very fun cache!

Robyn <_<

TA

I can't tell for sure reading the previous posts, but is this trail best done in a 4-by or will 2wd do ok?

Hi Jerry-

I know this is kind of a late post for this morning, but there will be 2WD vehicles going on this trip. There are a few caches that may require a little bit of a hike due to the condition of the road. The Simpson Clan and grnzoom did it in a Prius. I haven't been on this road myself, so we're in for some fun!

Robyn

Robyn :D

We (Paul & Michael) may be able to show up at the trail head.. don't wait for us though. I may just decide to sleep in for once! :P

TA

Hi Jerry-

I know this is kind of a late post for this morning, but there will be 2WD vehicles going on this trip. There are a few caches that may require a little bit of a hike due to the condition of the road. The Simpson Clan and grnzoom did it in a Prius. I haven't been on this road myself, so we're in for some fun!

Robyn

I did everything in my Honda Civic. Twasn't a problem at all.

Robyn :lol:

We (Paul & Michael) may be able to show up at the trail head.. don't wait for us though. I may just decide to sleep in for once! :P

TA

Hi Jerry-

Robyn

I did everything in my Honda Civic. Twasn't a problem at all.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions on this trail. We had a blast! No difficulties for our 8 vehicle caravan.

Robyn :D