Good Example Winning Permission Battles

edscott

Here is a quote from a log in a cache in PA gamelands. Currently the individual land managers of PA Gamelands seem to have personal control over Geocaching in their areas so they need to be convinced one at a time. Good job Pirate and Crafty.....

"I was told this was an easy level walk in so I decided to give it a try. (I usually limit myself to .50 miles one way) This being a mile I thought OK I'll just take my time and go easy. Well after getting to the gate (Which was open) I seriously thought I'd drive in, but it said no motor vehicles so I parked and started walking. About 1/4 of the way in here comes a SUV Now I'm really thinking I should have drove in, Then I saw the lights on the roof! Glad I picked walking! It was the Game Warden which stopped and asked what I was doing and I told him about Geocaching. He said he had heard of it and had got an Email a few months ago and it was considered littering and for me to remove it if I found it. I told him to go with me and I'd show him what it was all about. Great!! Now I have a ride in!! ;) He actually made the find, I signed the log and asked if he still wanted me to remove it. He said NO leave it for now that he couldn't see any harm in it and would talk to his supervisor about it. I gave my name and phone and asked him to call and let me know what was said. He said he would. Now I had a ride back out also!! Happy Happy Joy Joy! Told him all about Caching on the way out and if he had questions to give me a call.

TFTC

Signed the log

Pirate & Crafty

Jim & Cheryl"

*applauds*

Well done guys! Enough moments like these and we just might get access back in areas we're losing.

This is why permission is so important. It keeps the lines of communication open, keeps us in their good graces, and keeps the land managers involved. These are things that are invaluable when challenges to the sport are faced down the road.

brian, he may be a lowly warden, but he changes the situation significantly.

Having no say and having no input are two different things. He's a neutral proponent with no vested interest that will argue there is no harm in leaving it.

That's a strong testimonial given the situation as it sounds.

Edited by ju66l3r
Not to rain on the bandwagon here, but unless the warden in question was the park's supervisor, I don't know  that the battle has been won yet.  At the least there is one fewer opponent and a possible proponent, but if he is just a lowly game warden he may have no say in the matter.

Yes I figured someone would point that out... (and you were on my short list [;)] ) but suppose he went back to his boss waving a camo painted ammo can that he found some guy hiding behind a rock near a trail.

He did go back and talk to the people in charge and called me a week

or so later. Said they were going to take things on a case by case basis. If

no vegetation damage was done and the area wasn't littered they would allow

caches. If they found damage they would be removed. Best to be honest.

That's great. I'm glad it worked in this instance.