Ridiculous Requirement

Pushkin

Also, no one ever responded to my comment about two fire tacks paths crossing... this seems like it could be a real problem. But as someone not really familiar with nightcaches, maybe it's not. Anyone have any thoughts about that possibility?

Hi, I am guessing that I've reviewed two dozen night caches in my 2.5 years as a cache reviewer. I basically want to know (1) where does the firetack trail begin, and (2) where does it end -- the location of the cache container. Once I know that information, I plot the waypoints on a map and an aerial photo. Usually they are .1 to .3 miles apart and I can pretty much see how the cache works.

If the start and endpoints were on opposite sides of a lake, or five miles apart, I'd probably ask the hider for additional information, i.e., intermediate waypoints. I've never had to do that.

Next I would check the new cache submission against nearby caches to make sure that the cache saturation guideline was met. If I saw that there were lots of other caches in the immediate area, I would ask for more information about the path of the night cache, to make sure that it didn't interfere with/encroach upon the other existing caches. I've done that once. The cache owner described the route and how it avoided the other caches in the cache-dense park. Cool, cache published.

If I spotted another night cache in the same area, with the possibility of crossed trails, I would likely try to persuade the owner of the new night cache to choose a different area. Does the same park need two overlapping night caches? That would be confusing. You start out following the trail to cache 1, then detour when you see firetacks from cache 2, and you wind up at the container for cache 2.

I have never seen a case where there were two overlapping night caches. These are not very common -- yet. Nor can I recall the issue ever being discussed as a problem in our reviewer's forum.

I hope that this information is helpful.

There are almost 2000 caches within 100 miles of here. I don't think more than a dozen are night caches using reflectors or tacks. So the chance of two being in the same park are pretty slim, making the chance of the trails crossing nil.

Also I would think that someone hiding a new night cache would be aware of the exisiting ones in their hiding area, again negating the chance this could occur.

I''m not sure what the density is like in Evansville, Indiana. Bottom line, night caches represent a very small percentage of what's hidden out there.

Maybe in a few more years when there are no good hiding spots left it could become a concern. That's when the reviewers will really have to become control freaks. ;):o:P

PS I notice that the kind pipesmoking gentleman in the lab coat beat me to it. :P

Edited by wimseyguy
Maybe in a few more years when there are no good hiding spots left it could become a concern.  That's when the reviewers will really have to become control freaks. :P  :P  ;)

I can't wait until then! In the meantime, I can kick puppies.

Oh, I suspected the reviewers were evil. Now I have proof. :o

If two roads cross in the night is there someone there to hold your hand and make sure you take the right one? You may be on to the next generation of night caches. Midnight Mystery Maze Cache... where there are a multitude of paths marked, but only one leads to the cache. My night cache has just a touch of that element, but it could be made much more evil.

My night cache is at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2d-69d3264fd2dc

Edited by edscott
I just think I should bring this up:

I hid a nightcache recently and I was asked to provide the waypoint for every single firetack leading to the cache, all 20 of them, I don't know what everyone here thinks, but I think it's just plain ridiculous, I mean whats the point of it? the firetacks are all only about 20 metres away from each other (or less). It's gotta be the most ridiculous requirement for cache listing I've ever seen. All it does is cause a great deal more work for the cache hider, nothing more. Just want everyone to know that.

I have hidden two noght caches with fire tacks and I was not required to offer the coordinates for the tacks, For one of my night caches I would not have been able to provide them because I couln not get a good sattelite lock. I was required to provide the coordonates for the trail head the and the final cache location

When I submitted my latest night cache, I submitted ten sets of coordinates. I did this without being asked.

I included the starting point, each Trail Tack, and the final location. I have another night cache in the same area, and I wanted to let my reviewer know in advance that the two night caches didn't collide with each other.

Of course, I also explain how to solve my puzzle caches when I submit them for review.

I don't see the problem, especially if there are other caches in the area (not saying this happened in your case).

You created a night cache that only involves eight reflectors? Is this a "Park-n-Grab" night cache? I thought I'd helped create the only one of that genre, although we used considerably more than eight reflectors to do so...

Road To Nowhere