Hints From Muggles

carolalma

Just wondering what the feeling is about asking around for"a big tree stump in the area", or "a nearby railroad bridge" if you are having a tough search for some reason.

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

You find a geocache, and sign the logbook. If there are items to trade, and you elect to take something, then leave something.

So, a cache found is a.... find. The intent is to use a GPSr to find it, yet I have found 3 without a GPSr, and are authorized "finds" by the owners nonetheless. I suppose what it boils down to in the "finding" process. Using hints from other cachers, using a re-routed satellite to track your moves and vector you in, or even asking a muggle are all possibilities. On my caches, if you sign the log, as I interpret the three rules above, you "found" the cache.

In fact, one of my caches has at least two finds that occured with the assistance of the land manager. I know who the cachers are, and could care a less about debating their "find" method. They got there, they logged, end of story for that part. HOWEVER, in my opinion, one would think that asking a muggle for assistance and receiving assistance that enables them to find the cache is at least worthy of mention in the physical log and/or online log. This is a significant part of their adventure with the cache, yet for whatever reason they neglected to recount the adventure. I have a problem with not relaying this account, since it is part of the cache's little history and gives the cache (and location) more personality. My take on this is that these cachers have "robbed" the cache of character and intrique, and for that I am grumpy with the situation. Yet, there is nothing I can do about it, save add a note of my finding to the cache page, returning those events to the cache's character (and I did exactly that).

While caching in MIlwaukee we found a muggle sitting on the bench where we determined a clue for the cache might be. Of couse we just couldn't go over and boot her off the bench so instead we struck up a conversation with her that made the wait for her to leave enjoyable and got a recommendation of a nice Irish restaurant at which we could eat after finding that and two other caches.

We were wandering around Portland, OR recently having a heck of a time getting the GPSr to settle down while looking for "Top Score". Tall buildings, bad ionospheric conditions, bad satellite configuration, approaching darkness, unfamiliar neighborhood - felt like a conspiracy to lead us in circles! :rolleyes:

There were some kids hanging out nearby, so we asked if they knew of a nearby arcade. The interesting story that resulted is recounted in our October 21st log - including an admission that we had help from a muggle.

Don't see a problem with it - it does add to the cache's history and character! Of course, we try to say something interesting in our logs whenever we can - it's the owner's reward for placing and maintaining the cache!

I got a little help from a muggle a couple weekends ago, when we couldn't find the access point to the final part of a 12-stage multi. They asked what we were doing and when we told them, one of them said "Oh, I know about geocaching! There's one right behind my house!" He then pointed to where he lived and then we immediately knew how to get there.

There have been other times when, for example, I've asked other hikers if they knew how to get to a particular trailhead when I was in an unfamiliar area.

I can't see why there would be anything wrong with that. I'd rather get the help of a local than wind up lost and frustrated.

I've asked other hikers if they knew how to get to a particular trailhead when I was in an unfamiliar area.

That's the kind of thing I was thinking of when I posted the question. It was last week, our second hunt, and we knew we were looking for a famous tree (in SC). Couldn't find it because, we realized later, we were way off on entering coords. So I asked a local historical buff if he knew about the tree. He knew about it but didn't know (or wouldn't tell) the exact location. Anyway, we found the tree but not the cache. I guess I'd better note the experience so that I won't "rob the cache of character and intrigue." We're still new but we're getting there. :laughing:

Just wondering what the feeling is about asking around for"a big tree stump in the area", or "a nearby railroad bridge" if you are having a tough search for some reason.

Just think of asking for direstions as another tool for finding the cache area ("is there a bridge around here?").

Unsolicited help from a muggle 'in the know' can be disapointing give-away, but it beats a DNF anyday :rolleyes:

Ed

Edited by The Badge & the Butterfly