New Formatting On Cache Log Pages

IntotheWoods

I am happy with the new design, except that I don't like how "portrait" (vertical) photos are chopped off in the display so that they fit a "landscape" (horizontal) frame.  The only way to see the photo as intended is to click on the image to open it in a separate window.

I'm not seeing that... I clicked on a log of mine that I remembered having a tall vertical picture (this one), and it isn't getting chopped.

That's still a landscape formated picture.. width is greater the height..

If you click on the image it shows you a portrait image height > width

That is what he means by "cut off"

#edited to add more 'verbiage'#

Edited by raine
That's still a landscape formated picture.. width is greater the height..

If you click on the image it shows you a portrait image height > width

That is what he means by "cut off"

#edited to add more 'verbiage'#

Here's a screen shot of what I see when I click on "view log". Doesn't look like landscape mode to me, and nothing is chopped off. Am I misunderstanding something?

fd8112ab-1e40-43e4-ac31-5c4a25cc6a19.jpg

My log page with portrait pictures doesn't look like that.  It's because Raine thinks I'm a weenie.

What browser are you using? I'm using Firefox. (1.0.7... I'm way behind on upgrading, I think.)

I just clicked on your latest log, which include several pictures, including a couple of portrait ones, and they all look right from here.

All 'weenies' aside, I think what the issue is, is that I'm using IE and its obeying the size tag I have in place so it looks like a portrait image to me, and firefox is actually sizing the image to the images full length.

As far as the links go, if you look at the "edit image" link in the middle it has the correct "look" for being enabled while the prev/next links have no underlining. I would agree that maybe hiding them would be the best thing, but I just didn't take the time to code that in. All I did was play around with the "look and feel" of this page.

My log page with portrait pictures doesn't look like that.  It's because Raine thinks I'm a weenie.

What browser are you using? I'm using Firefox. (1.0.7... I'm way behind on upgrading, I think.)

I just clicked on your latest log, which include several pictures, including a couple of portrait ones, and they all look right from here.

Well, I use Internet Explorer because it came with the computer, I'm change-resistant, and I understand it to be the most popular browser. Since Firefox users are quick to complain whenever something doesn't work right for *them*, I would think I ought to be able to note that this is an adverse change for IE users.

Here is a screen shot of how my log page looks, with a portrait photo:

e21035d1-9f67-4bb0-84c6-26111fe69fbc.jpg

And here is how that photo is supposed to look -- it's a very different picture:

f19d4dde-7087-4e89-b9f3-87dce0e92ccc.jpg

As far as the links go, if you look at the "edit image" link in the middle it has the correct "look" for being enabled while the prev/next links have no underlining. I would agree that maybe hiding them would be the best thing, but I just didn't take the time to code that in.  All I did was play around with the "look and feel" of this page.

This is a problem with the page's CSS. The links, even when inactive, are enclosed with anchor <a... > tags. In the CSS, it specifies that anchor tags should be underlined when hovered over by the mouse. IE incorrectly makes the assumption that "hover" only applies to anchor tags with a HREF property, which is not standards compliant.

This is also why the Guidelines page goes into convulsions whenever you hover over a heading, using Firefox. The CSS is telling it to change the text attributes every time the mouse passes over text enclosed by the <a name=xxxxx> ... </a> tags, even though they aren't links.

The real problem is that the CSS is wrong, and IE is, as usual, hiding the problem. Instead of using:

a:hover
{
font-size: x-small;
color: #FF6600;
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
text-decoration: underline;
}

to code CSS for a link hover, it instead should be:

a:link:hover
{
font-size: x-small;
color: #FF6600;
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
text-decoration: underline;
}

Using the "link" pseudoclass makes sure the CSS hover event fires only when it's over an actual link. You may need to replicate this for "active" and "visited" as well.

Well, I use Internet Explorer because it came with the computer, I'm change-resistant, and I understand it to be the most popular browser. Since Firefox users are quick to complain whenever something doesn't work right for *them*, I would think I ought to be able to note that this is an adverse change for IE users.

And you can certainly do that. The question, I believe, was to see if it *was* a browser issue, since other users weren't seeing what you were.

I just noticed another issue with the new log pages: if there are coordinates on the log, they are not shown. An example is here. If you click through to the cache page, you'll see coords at the top of my log. I think the coords should be shown in all cases.

Also, the "additional images" bar is kinda annoying when there are no images! :D

I just noticed the new photo display pretties. Looks great!

One suggestion. I've always wanted a link somewhere on the page for "View All Pictures." I usually like to look at all the pictures someone has uploaded, and if three are more than a couple, it's cumbersome to click through each picture to see it full size. A link which showed all the pictures full size on one page would be keen.

Kinda like the way the Degree Confluence site has an option to view all the pics at the same time. See here.

Jamie

I am happy with the new design, except that I don't like how "portrait" (vertical) photos are chopped off in the display so that they fit a "landscape" (horizontal) frame.  The only way to see the photo as intended is to click on the image to open it in a separate window.

Agreed. But there's more!!

ALSO a landscape photo is chopped off! However it's just a little. Please visit a cachelog of mine and have a look to the photo "Op de groote stille...". Compare the feet of Barjon's wife at the photo and at the thumbnail.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?II...0e&LID=11231833

The photo is landscape (1:1.333) 600x450 pixels.

I like the new, pretty stile, but NOT the chopping issue. It should be/become: WYSIWYG.

Browser that I'm using is latest edition of Maxthon within Windows XP updated to the highest level.

Regards, Rudolf.

Edited by Barjon
I am happy with the new design, except that I don't like how "portrait" (vertical) photos are chopped off in the display so that they fit a "landscape" (horizontal) frame. The only way to see the photo as intended is to click on the image to open it in a separate window.

YESSSSS, This is extremely annoying. I don't think this was ever a problem before.

This was also fixed this morning, so take a look now.

The "active image" on the log page now displays correctly if it is in portrait orientation. Thanks for that!

Two comments about the thumbnails: I see that portrait photos are "smushed" into landscape format for the thumbnail view. This has the effect of making all geocachers look overweight, when we know that this is never the case. :rolleyes: Second, in the sample page I looked at, the photos that are uploaded by the cache owner to the cache page are displaying at full size in the cache page gallery, rather than as thumbnails. This was visually disconcerting!

Edited by The Leprechauns

OK - the individual log pictures are OK, but the thumbnails still chop stuff off.

Here's an log that has multiple images. The circled one is a portrait image.

b38f6902-add7-44f7-b366-78cb19c0bb93.jpg

This is what the log looks like when you click on the thumbnail...

45aba7df-deff-4f7f-be7a-d7a00893cdb0.jpg

Is there any way to have the system check to see if the portait image is larger in ratio of height to width, and then reduce the height to a certain pixel instead of reducing the width?

More detailed explanation:

Take this log and its two images as an example:

The original landscape photo for that logs was 600 pixels wide and 450 pixels tall. I have no problem reducing the 600 to 300 for "display" and 100 pixels for thumb, provided all of the original image can still be seen.

This landscapes picture's dimensions in the three sizes are:

600 x 450 (original)

300 x 225 (display)

100 x 080 (thumb)

But for the portrait image, it's a little different. The other picture on the log was...

1536 x 2048 (original) (wow!)

0300 x 0400 (display) - cool - still in portrait mode)

0100 x 0080 (thumb)

That's a problem. Can the system keep the aspect ratio and shrink the maximum height to 100 pixels? That would put the width at around 75 pixels.

This is what the thumbnail looks like now...

ce5fa257-af24-45ae-bf25-fab70a5f8aa5.jpg

IMO, this is what the thumbnail SHOULD look like...

e1521197-dd35-4ff7-be0a-ea5413247a3e.jpg

YESSSSS, This is extremely annoying. I don't think this was ever a problem before.

Thanks to geocaching for fixing this. It looks better now.

The fix looks good to me. Thanks! Overall it's a great improvement to the look of the site.

Still, however, I notice that the text is squished over to the left when there are no pictures for a log as mentioned by the OP. This looks a bit funky on some of the more long-winded log entries. Also, I notice that while the blue "additional images" banner doesn't show up when a log has one picture (as it shouldn't), it does when a log has no pictures.

Someone over in the TB forum asked why some of the gallery images for his TB were all blurry, even though the full-sized images were clear. I looked at them and it looks like it's just the portrait thumbnails that are blurred. They look very choppy, almost as if first a square thumbnail had been made, and then it was stretched out to match the original aspect ratio?

Here's a link to the gallery with the choppy portrait thumbnails:

Old George

Is this a side-effect of the changes that have been made to the thumbnails, or is it still a work in progress?

Its still a work in progress. It has to do with the LARGE images that were being seen in the gallery being sized down to 100px, which of course bumps up the portraits to 100px even if they are not. I'm working on making gallery images thumbnailed too so just give me some time :o