Attention All Explorist Users?

gpsjeep

Well Explorist users,

If you were in the market for a replacement GPSr, would you buy another Explorist and why?

Here's what happened.

I've had a Meridian Yellow. Yes, it's the same as the green. The lowliest of all the Meridians. I've had it for about a year and a half. I loved my Meridian yellow and all the maps I had loaded onto the SD card. But now it's gone. Someone swiped it out of my Jeep. My fault. I should have locked my doors.

Anyway, I'm teetering on whether I should get another Meridian, the Gold model, or if I should upgrade to an Explorist 500.

I've read a ton of threads here on the Explorist and I guess it boils down to this.

If you lost your Explorist and had to replace it, would you replace it with another Explorist or would you go to another brand? And why?

I appreaciate your input. I will get my replacement by the end of November.

Thanks,

-Jeff

I have to admit that given the opportunity again, I would strongly consider not buying another eXplorist. Why? Too many software limitations (200 caches per file and other things) and too few user-customizable options. And the thing is no longer compatible with some Magellan software I own.

Also, the auto-routing, while it gets me where I want almost every time, lacks the user control which I understand is enjoyed by Garmin owners. I use auto-routing extensively, but I also wish I could tell the dang thing that I don't want interstates.

So... what would I get? Garmin's small-memory limitations wouldn't work for me, so I'd have to cross them off the list, too. I haven't looked into Lowrance enough to know what I might like or dislike.

I really like the eXplorist color screen and the file-management system.

In the end, I might end up getting a Meridian... or maybe another eXplorist. Although there are many things about it which I don't care for, it's probably the closest I can get to fitting my GPS needs, which admittedly, are probably a lot different than most geocachers.

Jamie

I've had my 500 since mid july and love it. I've had no problems everything works like its supposed to. If it was lost or stolen I would buy another in a heartbeat.

There are a couple of things in the firmware that hopefully will be changed on the update.

I liked my maggy gold but the explorist beats it in just about every way.

And just remember you'll hear people complain but you very seldom hear people praise something.

I have actually been wondering the same thing lately, and a trip a week ago kind of changed my mind. I used to have a Sportrak Pro, and really liked all of the options that I could customize the unit to my liking. When I sold it and bought an explorist 600 about 3 months ago, I was kind of disappointed at first, after experiencing first hand many of the firmware bugs that are circulating on the Groundspeak threads. However, for me, my primary reason for upgrading was to be able to run direct route software, as well as topo software and have access to lots of maps without constantly downloading them. On my recent trip, I powered up the exporist on the plane, and with topo 3d loaded, could see the terrain that we were flying over. During the flight, I was able to switch states several times by just loading a new one from the SD card, finally ending up in California. Each state's topo map was conveniently loaded on my 1 gig SD card. After arriving at LAX, I switched on the explorist again, and changed from magellan topo 3d to magellan DirectRoute, again pulling the new map off of my SD card (I've got all of the western states on it for both directroute and topo 3d). I had entered 6 different waypoints (POI) before leaving home (hotels, amusement parks, etc.) and quickly did a "street-route" to the hotel for that night. Since it was dark, I found it extremely helpful to let the GPS route me to the hotel. I have always had stressful situations landing in an unfamiliar city at night, driving to my hotel. I usually have my wife in the passenger seat fumbling with maps, trying to direct me, while I'm peering out the window, straining to see what street is coming up...

Anyway, you get the picture. I have never before felt so stress free while driving. Also, during the trip on at least 3 occasions, rather than just going to whatever restaurant was in view, I was able to use DirectRoute and pull up a list of all restaurants within several miles of my current location and choose from them, and get routed to them. That was a real time saver.

So after the trip, I realized how much time, effort and headache the GPS had saved me. Even if I had it to do over again, because of the strengths I have just described I would probably buy another explorist. I'm still annoyed at the many firmware/software bugs and glitches, but I'm hoping that someday soon a firmware update will be available that will correct many of these problems. At one point I almost thought that it would be best to have two GPS units, one for the car, and one for hiking/geocaching. But the exporist 600 with it's SD card and ability to switch between topo 3d and directroute, makes it so that you really just need 1 GPS. Just my two cents worth, but for me, all of positive things I have mentioned make the explorist line worth considering. :)

I'm in the same camp as bozord. I used to have a Sportrak Topo unit that I traded in for an Explorist 500. The color screen was great, and I liked the idea of the geocache manager.

Now, there are some serious shortcomings with that geocache manager, but the fact reamains that I can (and do) have all of the caches in the state of Massachusetts on my unit (albiet in 200 cache chunks). And, frankly, without GSAK, it would be a pain in the rear to split and load them (thanks, Clyde!).

I also use the unit with Direct Route and Topo 3D, and love the freedom that comes with being able to use DR anytime we travel - and not have to continually swap maps on and off the unit, as the SD card can hold a ton of stuff.

There are definitely some other items that bug me - why do I have to go through hoops to change geocache files? It be great if they'd actually upgrade the firmware, and allow us some flexibility to customize the unit. Ahh...dare to dream.

However, if I list all the pros and cons, it's easily much more versatile and likeable than my Sportrak Topo (which I also liked a lot) - too bad someone hasn't come up with a better use/carry case than the Glisson I have.

Brian

Edited by Dosido

The only thing that has made me consider another brand is to have the ability to project waypoints, but since I've got that capability now with CacheMate, I'd grab another Explorist in a heartbeat.

Just wish Magellan would get around to making it easier to load maps. There should be no need to jump thru hoops using Conversion Manager to get a map on the unit.

Know the bugs, but I work around them until the fix comes.

If I lost my 600 today, I would replace it with another 600 asap. Love the ability to cache anywhere in the midwest with all of my DR and Topo loaded, as well as my caches. I frequently travel around the midwest and up to DC and have toted this thing along for it's simplicity, accuracy, and flexibility. Svaed me on numerous raod trips and I never refer to a printed map anymore. Just DR and go!

I just bought a eXplorist 400 as an upgrade from an eXplorist 100. So yes, I bought another eXplorist. While not perfect, the 400 does everything I want. I am particularly enamored with being able to move cache files using Windows Explorer and not having to mess with any weird programs for transfers. The only programs I use are GSAK or GPSBabel to convert to eXplorist SD or eXplorist geocaching formats. The file management, solid feel, familiar user interface, and SD slot were the selling points for me. The GPSmap 60 was tempting, as well as the bargain priced Lowrances, but I decided to stick with something I knew.

At this point, I'm having a hard time recommending explorist for general use...

My vote of no confidence is more about the company than the product. Users have been screaming about this product for over six months now and every time we actually get a response or someone on the phone, the techs act like we're the first person that has run into this stuff. Problems reported against Meridian over two years ago were not only _not_ fixed for Meridian, the bugs were carried forward into a new product family.

These could be the best darned handhelds in the industry if they'd listen to their customers. I haven't written them off. If they release a set of firmware and host software updates, I could even get past the goofy mechanical things (cable, click stick defects, annoying mount) and declare sacred love for them.

But I'm not holding my breath for this to happen.

I wont buy another magellan product unless they fix most of the issues mentioned in the buglist thread here on this forum. I agree with RobertLipe that this unit "could" be the best handheld piece of hardware on the market but unfortunately magellan's response to customer feedback has been very poor to say the least. Aside from buckhunter which his job is to document the bugs in magellans' database, Magellan hasn't yet moved to release a public firmware that from buckhunter's reply has a USB fix that so many people have confirmed having.

Edited by D0T-C0M

I, too, have difficulty giving an unqualified thumbs-up. The hardware is pretty good; and if SD capability is important I think an explorist is a reasonable buying decision to make.

My disappointment has been related to product support. Garmin is hale, hearty, and cranking out new products, new firmwares, software updates and what have you. Magellan seems to be rather sparse in the resources they appear to present for responding to customer request/demands/pleas. I have read that Thales is seeking a buyer for their handheld GPS division...I somehow suspect that they are not wanting to invest anything more than they have to until they can sell it off.

I am very conflicted. In addition to my 600, I own a Garmin 60CS and an Etrex Vista.

The 600 travels with me because I have virtually all of the US on my 1GB SD card. I use it in conjucntion with GSAK and a Treo 650, so I am totaly paperless. Best setup I have found to date.

I much prefer the Garmin maps and would switch in a minute if Garmin offered the 60CS with an SD card option.

Until then, if I lost my 600...I'd buy another one.

I'd be curious how many former Meridian users would buy another Explorist if they lost theirs, compared to how many would go back to their Meridian. Many of the "I'd buy again in a heartbeat" posts above seem to be people who didn't have Meridians, and love their Explorist for the SD card, which the Meridian has.

I've been using a Meridian Platinum almost since I started caching. I've also a couple of different Etrex models. so I have used a good cross section of the 2 big GPSr makers. I picked up my Explorist 600 when they first came out.

At first I was a little dubious about the little unit, but it has grown on me by leaps and bounds. When I got it, I used it as my secondary unit to my Meriplat. But the last couple of outings I didn't even bother bringing along my Meridian.

I would definately buy another one of these little guys. I love mine! I really love how quick and simple it is to load caches from GSAK. I have learned to deal with the 200 cache limit by using multiple files. I love the file structure of the poi's.

I would like to be able to modify/delete the caches as I visit them on an extended caching trip, but that is a minor thing for me.

Now for perspective, I only use it for caching. I don't use the directroute functions or anything else. But then I never used my Meridian for that either, so I'm comparing apples to apples in my case.

--John

Maybe I'll just wait for the Explorist XL to come out and see what it might have to offer. Besides the larger screen and more internal memory, one would assume that Magellan would take care of the bugs found in the Explorist line to make the XL the king of GPSr.

Who knows?

-Jeff

Maybe I'll just wait for the Explorist XL to come out and see what it might have to offer. Besides the larger screen and more internal memory, one would assume that Magellan would take care of the bugs found in the Explorist line to make the XL the king of GPSr.

Who knows?

-Jeff

That's exactly why I was wondering. For me, the regular Explorist is just too small (why, I don't know, I have a laptop for "in vehicle", I just don't like the size of the explorist) and I was wondering what the XL will be like.

one would assume that Magellan would take care of the bugs found in the Explorist line to make the XL the king of GPSr.

Who knows?

Ha!

I don't mean to be a skeptic, but I just don't see that happening. A buddy and I were talking the other day about how simple it would be to make a Street Route change to a Point-to-Point route once you got close enough. That one feature would make the GPS much better.

Unfortunately, I think Magellen just approaches the problems from the wrong direction. I'm losing faith that they'll get much right. (Except for the SD card thing, that's brilliant.)

Jamie

Since some of the explorist defects have been complained about since the Map330 was the state of the art in the product line in '01 and many of them have roots in Meridian 5.x firmware over two years ago, that skepticism isn't undeserved.

(And I think time is running out on the SD thing.)

Edited by robertlipe

hehe, most of the things allready said.

I can answer both questions: What to do if I would have to buy it directly and what would I have to do long term?

As I currently own a Plat and a Explorist 600 and the 600 is defective and sent back to Thales, I had to answer the first question: And I switched back to the Platinum. (And there are some things which I allready miss (form factor, color, Filesystem etc)

I guess I would stay with the Plat for now and wait until some Garmin with SD option arrives on the market. Sad but true. Thats also what I am planning to do when the 600 comes back.

Just bought another GPS for a totally different purpose: A Garmin Forerunner 301, and its a surprise how smart this unit works, everything is at the right place, you see that someone made up his mind on this unit and listened very carefully to the customers.

Edited by DocW

A buddy and I were talking the other day about how simple it would be to make a Street Route change to a Point-to-Point route once you got close enough. That one feature would make the GPS much better.

I am that buddy.

I love the eXplorist 600 that I have for the very nice color screen, good reception, compact size, file management system, and SD card; but quite frankly, the bugs that this thing has are beginning to get on my nerves. If the Garmin line were to come out with a uinit that would take a SD card, that would be my next purchase. Until then, I am left hoping that Magellan fixes the ever growing list of porblems with the eXplorist.

I am waiting for mine to return from Meridian for joystick repairs under warranty, and I believe that JZ is about to send his in for a different joystick problem. The only two people I know with an eXplorist are having to return their units...

If you gotta have one right now, get a Gold and wait until either the eXplorist gets its problems solved, or Garmin addas a SD card. It is a little old, but a very solid performer, and comparatively cheap.

Edited by Mr Lost
Does anybody know if there are any new Garmin GPSr planned for release with external memory capabilities (SD card)?

There was a rumor of one floating around this summer, but nothing further heard. Waiting. Waiting.

Maybe we should all e-mail Garmin asking for it. Especially those of us who (like me) originally owned a Garmin, and switched to Magellan primarily (just) for the SD card ability?