Ranks, Ratings, And Rarity

Lemon Fresh Dog

Hello everyone!

Well, there have been a couple of threads on arious aspects of this topic -- so hopefully this conversation will be welcome and not just a re-hash of those threads.

As any hobby matures (or sub-hobby in this case) a certain formalization seems to enter into it. Although not quite there, I think geocoin collecting has become an active part of the geocaching scene and I was wondering folks thoughts on a couple things related to it.

What coins do you consider the most sought-after? (there are a few obvious ones, but what about some less obvious ones too?

Which coins are rare (whether sought-after or not)? I think about the "gold" Calgary with only 25 made, or the mysterious "shadow" coin recently spotted on eBay

Which coins are especially well designed? I think of Shop99er, Washinton 2004, Rubicon Brothers, Joe Frog, Alaska Gold, Santa Cruz -- to name a small, but certainly incomplete list.

What websites are good for coin images? I think of the Team Fisgar site and would love if there was a "definative" site that folks would all send images to -- even of the rarest of the rare coins -- the one-offs. -- Wooden too!

Maybe this is too much for one thread, but I am hoping folks will post links, photos, and all the "data" regarding the collecting of the coins.

-- and I want to add -- I STILL think the primary purpose of a coin should be for caching!

I was thinking of making a webpage just like what you discribed! I still might but who knows. I was thinking all coins should be ranked on this scale and it will be what I will use on the website if I make it.

1) Rarity - (on a scale 1 - 10, 1 being the least rarest and 10 being the most rarest)

2) Most Sought After - (on a scale 1 - 10, 1 being the least sought after and 10 being the most sought after)

3) Amount Made - (example) 300

4) Size of Coin - (example) 1.5 inches wide, 4 mm thick.

5) What Needed To Do To Get One - (example) trade a cacher, buy one from www.blaaablaaablaaa.com

6) Picture Or Discription Of Coin - blaaa blaaa blaaa.

I've been accumulating data on trades that have completed on Ebay. I've left off the "charity" autions as they are not necesarily representative of the value of the underlying coin. Missing also are, of course, coins that have never traded on Ebay, some of which are no doubt highly prized.

Here is a list of the Top 10 average price in order...

MIGO Spring 2005

MIGO Winter 2005

Geowoodstock 3 Pewter

Missouri 2004

NWPA

Tennnesse (Silver)

Midwest Geobash 2005

CC Selective Availability

Tennnesse (Gold)

Colorado 2005

I'm not clear on whether the MiGO Seasonals are Trackable, but of the others all but 2 are trackable. And the two non-trackable are older state/org coins. Interestingly, only 3 coins on this list are what I would consider "Manufactured Collectables" (i.e. made primarily with collecting in mind)

Another interesting thing is that there is about a $10 gap from the last coin on this list and the next coin, suggesting that these coins are indeed in a category of their own.

I would add another column to the list above trackable and where trackable ie gc or somewhere else original cost or if it was trade only, date of first run, materials used.

The rarity issue could be better handled by quantity produced, number in free circulation(estimate) qty known to be in collections.

My personal guess is that the quantity made x the days since manufacture gives a rarity factor ?

Still trying to find somewhere cheaper for a coin run of our own got to get a joefrog somehow :)

I've been accumulating data on trades that have completed on Ebay.  I've left off the "charity" autions as they are not necesarily representative of the value of the underlying coin.  Missing also are, of course, coins that have never traded on Ebay, some of which are no doubt highly prized.

Here is a list of the Top 10 average price in order...

MIGO Spring 2005

MIGO Winter 2005

Geowoodstock 3 Pewter

Missouri 2004

NWPA

Tennnesse (Silver)

Midwest Geobash 2005

CC Selective Availability

Tennnesse (Gold)

Colorado 2005

I'm not clear on whether the MiGO Seasonals are Trackable, but of the others all but 2 are trackable.  And the two non-trackable are older state/org coins.  Interestingly, only 3 coins on this list are what I would consider "Manufactured Collectables" (i.e. made primarily with collecting in mind)

Another interesting thing is that there is about a $10 gap from the last coin on this list and the next coin, suggesting that these coins are indeed in a category of their own.

The first 2 MiGO seasonals are not trackable on gc.com that was before it was made available to groups and they were trackable at Travelertags Summer and Fall coin are gc trackable.

Nice list, I made 4 of those 10 coins and I suspect the other 2 MiGO's could be on there if they made it to ebay more often. :)

Rusty....

www.PersonalGeocoins.com

I am starting a Geocoin Museum or Hall of Fame. I need everyone and every organization to send me one of your Geocoins to be inducted <_< . It could be a travelling display to various events. Thanks again and don't be left out of this rare opportunity to be part it.  ;)

Nice try, I bet you don't get alot of takers here.

None yet. You can't fool these people, although many are very willing to send money for a coin they have never seen to a person they know nothing about ;)

I've often wondered about this. When will be the first time we all get duped by someone?

Edited by Kilted Cacher
I've often wondered about this. When will be the first time we all get duped by someone?

I would hope that most people would be smarter than that anyway. Considering PayPal is utilized as the main payment method, fraud charges would definitely be pursued should this situation ever occur. Who in their right mind would want to be jailed for $500?

I would hope that most people would be smarter than that anyway. Considering PayPal is utilized as the main payment method, fraud charges would definitely be pursued should this situation ever occur. Who in their right mind would want to be jailed for $500?

Not many in the USA, but I don't think China would extradite many people. Since a ton of coins are made in China it would not suprise me if some people eventually figure out they can clone the coins and sell them...

Not many in the USA, but I don't think China would extradite many people. Since a ton of coins are made in China it would not suprise me if some people eventually figure out they can clone the coins and sell them...

This is why it is good to have tracking. You can only have one tracking number