Magnetic Compass

Crooked Crow

There are lots of well made compasses form Brunton, Suunto, Silva (Made by Suunto for the US market), Silva in the US is sold under NX name.

Some of the higher priced ones will offer adjustable declination (these you can set to true north rather than magnitic north. Most all the Bruntons will offer Adjustable declination. Some will have a sighting mirror. Prices can range from less than $10.00 dollars and go up from there. You best bet would be to go to a good outdoor gear shop and look at a few and handle them. If you go to a real good shop you will find someone that knows about them.

I use the Brunton 54 LU, which combines the best of baseplate type compasses (the easiest type to use with maps) and direct-sighting compasses (enabling very accurate and precise bearings in the field). It is accurate to 1/2 degree when using the direct-sighting feature. It also has UTM scales on it (although I wish the 1/25,000 scale was, instead, a 1/24,000 scale). Here is the PDF file that describes its use.

Another excellent compass, designed especially for use with the GPS and UTM grids, is the Brunton 8096 (although the length and shape would make it not quite as suitable as the 54LU for taking bearings off of maps). Here is the PDF file for that one.

Have fun!

Edited by jacques0

I've used a lot of compasses, (compi?), for orienteering, scouting, hunting, etc. By far the most reliable I've ever owned, and the one I still own, is the Swiss Army Recta DP6.

compass.jpg

Features:

* An illustrated booklet with tips for map and compass

* Transparent capsule for practical work directly on the map

* Antistatic needle of great stability, liquid filled capsule

* Damage-proof noryl case

* External dimensions (compass closed) 66 x 45 x 22mm

* Folding mirror for accurate sighting over the terrain

* Deviation marks for circumventing obstacles

* Luminous marks for use at night

* Centimeter ruler for measuring distances on the map

* Weighs only 55 grams

* Jewel bearing and RECTA patented needle adjustment

For the Discerning User

Recta DP6 universal army-officer compass. Black case. Hand held and mirror sighting. Declination adjustment. Clinometer to measure inclines. Conversion table on back of mirror. Scale/division 360 degrees. Weight 50 grams or 1.8 oz