Ironic?

Stuey

Isn't it Ironic that the only "announcement" by email that I have ever had from Geocaching.com is advertising a website that is nothing to do with Geocaching at all? I refer to the email sent two days ago about Waymarking.com. I think these type of announcements are great, I just can't see why they aren't used more often?

:laughing: How in the world could Waypointing not be part of geocaching.

It is a great compromise for those of us who can't post virtuals.

The only cache I have tried to create was a virtual that was denied twice. Vehemently!

And Groundspeak certainly took their sweet time in rolling the waypointing site out.

I still think they owe me a latte at Starbucks. :D

Isn't it Ironic that the only "announcement" by email that I have ever had from Geocaching.com is advertising a website that is nothing to do with Geocaching at all? I refer to the email sent two days ago about Waymarking.com. I think these type of announcements are great, I just can't see why they aren't used more often?

While special mailing are rare, I've seen a few additional messages added to the weekly "nearby caches" email.

I dont remember ever getting that email.... hmmmm

It's seems to be metered roll-out. Charter Members first, then Premium Members, then the riff-raff Regular Members. Keeps the site from getting hit all at once.

well I still havnt gotten it and I am a premium member

Give it time - if they are metering it out, they might be either doing it by hand (ouch), or by site participation (consistent log ins over time, etc.).

Dunno really. It'll come though. Being a premium member though, you can visit the Waymarking forums and the bottom of the geocaching foum main page...

Mostly I'm glad they don't send out extra emails for every new thing. yes it might reach a few people that might not notice right away, but how can you decide whats important enough to send out?? As it is the only emails I get from from this site are ones I elect to receive, like PQs and the weekly new caches.

Emails i would like to of recieved via this route )not embedded in other emails)

Your PQ's need to be turned back on each time they are run

You mean something like this B)

Here are the Pocket Query search results in the formats you requested.

Please note: Due to the recent issues with the Pocket Query Generator,

you will need to click on the link at the end of this email to re-run

this query a week from today. This is a temporary solution until we can

speed up the Generator. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Edited by pdxmarathonman
I dont remember ever getting that email.... hmmmm

It's seems to be metered roll-out. Charter Members first, then Premium Members, then the riff-raff Regular Members. Keeps the site from getting hit all at once.

well I still havnt gotten it and I am a premium member

Yes, you're a Premium member, but not a Charter member. Patience is a virtue.

For what it's worth, I'm NOT a Charter Member and I got the e-mail with a date/time stamp of 9/7/2005 at 8:00:06 PM.

And I basically agree with the OP. For me Waymarking is not Geocache related. Holds absolutley no interest for me. But I do thank Jeremy for the most efficient ignore feature ever created. A seperate Web Site.

You know, I'd rather not get a ton of email from the site. If I did, I would likely start complaining about all of the junk they are sending out. I would probably skip reading some of them, thinking that they aren'y important because the last few I received were not important to me.

A better idea is if they post changes in the forum or put important information in emails that they currently send me because they are requested. Examples of these are new cache notification emails and PQ deliveries.

G'day,

Could someone please clear up a couple of things for me.

What does TPTB mean?

What is a Charter Member? I have seen this in people's profiles, but have never known what it meant. This discussion seems to be telling me that they are some sort of "super" Premium Member.

All help will be appreciated.

Cheers,

dak

What does TPTB mean?

The Powers That Be, its a reference to Jeremy et all (the people that keep this website running and make the big decisions)

What is a Charter Member? I have seen this in people's profiles, but have never known what it meant. This discussion seems to be telling me that they are some sort of "super" Premium Member.

They are those that joined the Premim Member program in the first year (or 11 months?) it was offered. They get the same features and benefits that Premium members do. I don't know that they're super, but they've renewed their subscriptions at least 3 times now.

I have to admit, when something landed in my inbox from Jeremy Irish, my first thought was, "oh, crap. Now what have I done?"

I have to admit, when something landed in my inbox from Jeremy Irish, my first thought was "oh crap, dadgum spam mail". And I deleted it. I thing this eMail should be coming from Groundspeak or Geocaching, not from Jeremy Irish.

I have to admit, when something landed in my inbox from Jeremy Irish, my first thought was, "oh, crap. Now what have I done?"

I have to admit, when something landed in my inbox from Jeremy Irish, my first thought was "oh crap, dadgum spam mail". And I deleted it. I thing this eMail should be coming from Groundspeak or Geocaching, not from Jeremy Irish.

do you often get spam with the word 'geocaching' in the title? :D

(dang spammers have taken over anything it seems :lol: )

do you often get spam with the word 'geocaching' in the title? :D

(dang spammers have taken over anything it seems :lol: )

Not really, but, in the other hand, I never receive mail from people with english name sthat I don't know. As spam comes at a rate of a dozen per hour, mails go to trash by the From field - no time to check subject. Does that makes sense now, Welsh?

As spam comes at a rate of a dozen per hour, mails go to trash by the From field - no time to check subject.

Sounds like someone needs a Bayesian type spam filter. I'm at 99%+ accuracy with a single false positive in 230 days using it and that was early on. I use K9.

Thanks for the recommendation. This is a really nice program. I dumped Spam Assassin a while back, as it had become almost totally ineffective, and was a pain to use, unless you were using Outlook (and why would you do that, unless you had to?). Besides the Bayesian filtering, I think the real reason K9 works so well is the constantly updated blackhole list.