Change A Dnf To A Find?

pcakes

A while back, I searched for quite some time for a cache. Couldn't find it so I logged a DNF. I noticed several others logged DNF's about the same time. A couple of days later, the owner emailed me that the cache was missing and I could change my DNF to a find.

On one hand, I probably would have found it had it been there. On the other hand, I didn't find it and didn't sign the log sheet. I decided not to change my DNF and only 1 or 2 other previous DNF'ers changed theirs.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal to me either way but I am curious of others thoughts. Would you have changed your log?

I've had that same offer a couple times. I wrote back to the respective cache owners thanking them for the courtesy, but let the DNF's stand. If'n the caches get replaced, I'll head out again and sign the log before I log a find. Just my personal interpretation of how the game is played.

Since you got an invite, there would be no discredit in changing your DNF to a find, if you wanted to.

In the case that you describe, I woul dlikely have done the same thing that you did---but wouldn't worry one way or the other if someone did otherwise.

I have had two weird found/notfound experiences where I did claim the find:

On the first, we did not find the current container, but we did find an old container that had gone missing in the same area. We took that one as a find because we did find an official container with a log book etc.

On the second one, we were one of the first couple of cacher groups to find a new experimental type of hide the owner had put out. We found the container, but one of our party caused it to drop down into a long pole before the group could sign it, although we had each touched it--and it wasn't a type of container that could be pulled/fished back out of the pole. The owner replaced the container and fixed it so that couldn't happen again to some another cacher, and suggested we take the smiley. I debated about it myself, but my husband--who had ripped out the innerseam of his pants from crotch to almost ankle trying to retrieve the cache took the smiley gladly. I probably would have just gone back to do the cache after the repairs had been made if it wasn't an eight hour drive from home. Not sure I would take the smiley again in similar circumstances, but maybe I would.

A while back, I searched for quite some time for a cache. Couldn't find it so I logged a DNF. I noticed several others logged DNF's about the same time. A couple of days later, the owner emailed me that the cache was missing and I could change my DNF to a find.

On one hand, I probably would have found it had it been there. On the other hand, I didn't find it and didn't sign the log sheet. I decided not to change my DNF and only 1 or 2 other previous DNF'ers changed theirs.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal to me either way but I am curious of others thoughts. Would you have changed your log?

I'd go back and sign the logbook, then log the find. I don't feel comfortable logging those... never know if I truly would have found it! I feel the same way about traveling caches at events, though I may have logged one early on in my caching "career".

But there are those who would log those, and log ones they didn't find (because they were missing) and the owner said it was okay. That's okay by me if that's how they want to do it.

Edited by robert

Like everyone else, I would not change the DNF.

I know the game isn't about the numbers, but I do like my profile count to accurately reflect the number of finds I have - even if it is just for my own amusement. If I didn't find a cache, I didn't find the cache.

The only time I have done anything remotely like this is when what was once a Traditional Cache went missing so the owner put on his cache page (before I went looking) to log it as a virtual cache. So I went, looked for the cache anyway (just in case), discovered it was indeed not there, and then logged the cirtual. See Wiener Dog. But even in this case, I never logged a DNF because I went there knowing the cache was missing. I consider this to be a Traditional converted to a Virtual even if the cache listing still shows it as traditional.

I changed a DNF to Find at least once in the past. I did not ask for it but the cache owner awarded finds because they were impressed by our substantial group effort and that we went out of our intended route to find that one. Probably wouldn't log a find in that situation again.

The offer has only come to me once or twice in 1300 finds so it does not appear to be a significant numbers issue. Nor does it appear to qualify as much of a controversy.

Other related conditions:

I have never knowingly allowed a find for our caches where the container (or logbook or substantial cache debris) was not found but the cacher claimed a find. Those get deleted.

I have awarded finds for an exceptional effort (I mean exceptional - not just because a long time was spent searching) or for a great story. This is a very rare occurrence, probably three times for 105 caches over four years. No big deal. :P

I have also awarded a find to anyone who replaced a missing container of ours and have claimed a find for doing the same for someone else.

These opinions have been voiced often but there are relatively new players adding to this topic so...

No, I would not have changed my log.

I have not found several caches that were not there. The owners never suggested I could change the DNF to a find, but that would not matter since I would not anyhow.

I did find substantial debris, to include the large container lid, some swag, and a signature item, for one cache I logged as a DNF. I signed the lid as a log, and replaced it at the posted coordinates and left a note to follow-on cachers on the lid. My DNF online log stated I had the swag and was happy to return it when the cache was replaced. The owner archived, suggested that I log it as a find since I signed what was left of the physical cache. This is the only case where I changed the DNF.

By the way, all the swag went into one of my new caches at another location with the swag I put in it, with the items on the original inventory listed as coming from the archived cache from which it came.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Same has happened to me. The owner said it's OK to change my DNF to a find, since I described the hide location in sufficient detail, but I didn't change it. Went back 4 months later to go find the replacement and signed the new log book.

I have taken the effort to find fragments of destroyed caches before. For the finds I've logged, they have been accompanied with photos and signed piece of log sheet fragments, with owner's approval.

Had I not been able to find fragments convincing enough to merit a find, I'd haved logged a DNF, regardless of the effort and time spent. It's my own fault for being so persistent. :P

I had a cache a while back that I didn't find. It had been consistently muggled over the previous year and the owner indicated that he didn't feel much like going back to replace it over and over again.

If you can't find the container, then take a picture of yourself and the thing that the container is supposed to be attached.  Post your photo, then log it as a find.

:bad::D:D

I opted for a DNF.

I once logged a find when the cache owner posted on the cache page he knew it was missing, but if you took a pic of yourself and your GPS in front of the nearby building you could log a find. I did, I though it was kinda like a virtual.

If I don't find the cache, DNF, if I come back later and do find it, separate log saying found it.

Absolutely not. I found 272 geocaches, which means I found 272 containers and signed 272 logbooks.

When I DNFd this cache after hiking over 20 miles, the cache owner graciously offered to allow me to claim it as found. I did not accept.

It was just that philosophy that gave me the determination not to quit this cache when I encountered what appeared to be an insurmountable obstacle.

It’s your integrity. Play the game the way you like.

Edited by Criminal

On my caches that have gond bye-bye, I've offered the cachers the choice of logging the cache as a find, but only after I've confirmed the cache was missing.

My reasoning has always been the same: the cache was placed for them to visit the area and to compensate for the trip they have made, I offer them the choice of logging it as a find, however minimal that may be.

If they accept, I write their name on the log of the replacement cache. I would say two out of five cachers have accepted my offer.

I won't claim a missing cache unless the cacher offers the find.

Edited by Chuy

How it works: Find the cache, sign the logbook. No cache, no logbook, no geocaching.

Yeah I know "if the cache owner allows it". Well, I've been offer to claim a found on a missing cache. Thanks, really, but no thanks.

As far as I'm concerned it's a hurdle. If I can't find the cache, if I can't physically get down the trail, if I can't cross the river, if I can't climb the tree, if I can't figure out the clues, if I can't wait out muggles, if I can't retrieve the cache, if I can't open the cache (some are puzzle boxes), if I can't, if I can't, if I can't

if I can't put my hands on the cache, I don't claim it.

But that's just me.

(and no, I don't log virtual caches without meeting those requirements either)