Again With My 60c...just My Luck

I'm not bashing Garmin. I just need to vent and hear what you think. My luck with this GPS, although, not the end of the world, is still quite frustrating. So here it is if you care to read:

Back in Feb. of this year I got a Garmin 60C. For me this was the perfect unit. I loved the looks of it and it did exactly what I wanted it to do. However, after a few months the rubber covering the antenna became loose. I was upset but Garmin told me to send it in for repair. I sent the GPS to Garmin and they verified the problem and they sent me a refurb. unit. I wasn't too happy getting a refurb. unit 3 months after I paid 357.00 for a new one but I understood the terms of repair.

After 2 months of use with the refurb. unit I noticed the thin film covering the zoom "in" and "out" buttons became discolored and eventually peeled. I also noticed the case didn't feel solid on one side. I again called Garmin and was told to send it in. They verified both problems and replaced the keypad and tightened the case. Just in time for my trip to North Carolina.

While using the unit just a week after getting it back I now am getting a low battery warning while the unit shows 3 out of 4 bars on the battery indicator (all the settings are correct), the unit shut down once while in use (I have the cushions under the terminals), and visible under the middle of the screen is a nice piece of dust.

I am really disappointed about all of this. All I want now is a new unit in return for this one. I wonder what the chances of that happening is? Every time I had to call Garmin they have been nice, and if I call this week they will be nice and tell me to send the GPS back in but what will be the issue next? I'm losing confidence because of the luck I've had.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening. Any comments?

My friend has a 60CS and that GPSr has held up remarkably well considering some of the abuse it has been subjected to.

As for the battery warning, my first question is what kind and type of batteries are you using? I found that only the better brand of NiMH batteries work well. Off-brand batteries don't last very long.

Since you have had to send it in twice, maybe they will send back a new unit . . . it does sound like you sort of got a lemon . . . :anitongue:

I have beat the living day lights out of mine. 60cs and have had no problems. I even have the glass broken and it still keeps on going. I put it on the handle bars of my ATV and run threw some pretty rough country and I have it on the dash of my boat which gets knocked off and on the floor many times. The only thing I have as disapointment is right now since I uploaded the latest software is it's response time has become very slow.

So I will make a post to that in another thread for others to see.

murph

Make sure you have the correct battery type selected, and it is quite possible that the battery contacts need to be sprung out a bit for a more positive contact with the batteries.

If that doesn not solve the problem .... Contact Garmin and send it back. As for the buttons .... wash your hands after applying sunscreen or deet as both of these rapidly degrade the button labels.

:anitongue: ImpalaBob

BW. It's clear from your post that you have tried all the standard measures to deal with the 60C's known quirks. I would tell Garmin that the refurbished unit that they sent you and then had to repair again is a piece of junk, and ask them to send you a new unit. Garmin has an outstanding reputation for doing what needs to be done to make their customers happy. Please let us know how it comes out.

BW. It's clear from your post that you have tried all the standard measures to deal with the 60C's known quirks. I would tell Garmin that the refurbished unit that they sent you and then had to repair again is a piece of junk, and ask them to send you a new unit. Garmin has an outstanding reputation for doing what needs to be done to make their customers happy. Please let us know how it comes out.

Please accept my sincerest sympathy in your series of unfortunate events...

Anyway, what Sputnik said! Good advice. I have a feeling that, in your case, the third time will be a charm!

I agree. I'd contact Garmin and (nicely) explain that you have been very patient with their refurb policy but this is too many problems in a row. Ask them to PLEASE send you a NEW unit since you have had so many problems with the refurbs. They might surprise you.

I can tell you that they took my unit in and promised a free repair under warranty when I told them I didn't expect them to do so due to the nature of my issue. They said not to worry and that they would cover it under warranty. I was blown away by that type of customer service.

No way did I expect a warranty repair!

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=106565

Thanks for all the replies. Part of this post was to vent to people that would understand how I feel, and part was to get your advice. I will call customer service Thurs. morning and nicely explain my situation and request a new unit. I will keep you informed of the way this works out.

Just a note:

Although I am upset about this I do have things in perspective. I am lucky to be sitting in my suburban Long Island home. I am fortunate that I don't have water running down my street flooding my home like some in the south are going through due to the hurricane. My children are sleeping and we are healthy. Hey, if this is my biggest problem I'm doing great.

BW, Thanks for that "note". Now I feel better. My prayers go out for those who need more help than I do. Your kind words are an inspiration and helped me put things in perspective. Sorry I don't have much advice to give, all I can say is that so far my 60cs has been everything I hoped for. Only had it a month but it's been knocked around pretty hard the last week and still going strong. I hope you get a new one soon. Good luck.

Just to update:

I just got off the phone with Garmin. I nicely explained my situation to them as stated above. The rep. was very understanding and apologetic. He checked if they had new stock of the 60c, which they did, so they can send me a brand new unit. I will send in the GPS I have now and hopefully in about a week I will be opening up the box on my new one.

Maybe my luck is changing. You have to respect a company that is telling me they want me to be happy. I'll post back.

I want to let you know that I called Garmin yesterday and explained my problem as stated above. I was told to send my GPS in and I would be sent a brand new unit. I was expecting to get it in a week. Would you believe when I came home from work today I had a package from Garmin. My wife said it was delivered at 9:00am. Less than 24 hours and I have a new unit. Considering I just mailed them the old one at lunch I am very pleased.

Garmin should be in charge of the relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina with a "can do" attitude like that.

Just thought you all might want to know how this turned out.

Edited by BelleauWood

That's awesome! Good for Garmin. I'm real pleased with my 60CS and this assures me about any future situations should they arise.

A few years ago, I had an expensive cordless phone go bad within a year after I bought it. I'm picky about my stuff (especially electronics) and I swear this phone looked brand new. Not even a scratch on the LCD. Well, the refurb phone that P***sonic sent me back looked like it had skidded across a concrete parking lot.

Cust service at P***sonic isn't nearly as accomodating as Garmin seems to be. I had to actually insist that I be allowed to exchange this scarred up phone they sent me. I sent the refurb back and got another one that had similar "injuries".

I now wonder if one of the ways P***sonic gets their broken phones to work again is to go outside and give 'em a wack against the pavement. :laughing:

I also have a Garmin 60C a bit over a year so out of warrintee.

I recently broke the antenna and am tring to repair it myself. Hate working with small electronics at times but I have the tools but my skills are not the greatest.

I noticed this: The plastics used do not seem to be UV hardened types. The rubber is certin to be effected by leaving in a car mount.

in anycase I am builting an extrenal antenna (google search for homemade gps antenna) any I hope that works better becuase the repair that I did proves that the internal antenna should not be attempted to be repaired.

I want to let you know that I called Garmin yesterday and explained my problem as stated above. I was told to send my GPS in and I would be sent a brand new unit. I was expecting to get it in a week. Would you believe when I came home from work today I had a package from Garmin. My wife said it was delivered at 9:00am. Less than 24 hours and I have a new unit. Considering I just mailed them the old one at lunch I am very pleased.

Garmin should be in charge of the relief efforts for Hurricane Katrina with a "can do" attitude like that.

Just thought you all might want to know how this turned out.

I think all long-time Garmin customers have a similar story. I personally believe that they have the best products and the best customer service.