Batterys

When I sent my (older) Garmin in for repair they asked if I'd been using rechargables and advised against their use. They operate at a lower voltage and could have been responsible for component damage.

If you do choose to use rechargables I'd go for those with a longer life (e.g. 2000 mAh or above). Cheaper ones are often as low as 1300mAh.

We use rechargeable NiMh and disposables as a back-up for when the rechargeables suddenly die when caching .

From our experience of using rechargeables over many years for various none caching applications we don't buy cheaper brands because we have found they don't keep their charge for as long and the number of recharges is a lot fewer .

Currently we have cheap rechargeables (that were a presnt )in one g.p.s. and more expensive ones in an identical g.p.s. that gets used more frequently . Despite the more frequent use the expensive ones need rechargeing less frequently on a ratio of about 3: 1.

Both sets are 2,200 mAh .

When a visit was recently made to Garmin at Romsey to replace a broken battery connection (free )

the person who mended it noticed rechargeables were being used and they said that is what they would recommend to use .

Edited by t.a.folk

I use NiMh AA for my camera and NiMh AAA for my Palm, and they're fine. For both of those, I carry one pair of NiMh in the equipment, and one pair charged as spares.

I used NiCad AA (four) for my MLR gps for two and a bit years and they were fine, but over the last few months they've been losing the ability to hold a charge and I bought four NiMh on eBay today for a fiver including postage.

I tried NiCad AAAs in my Geko and wasn't impressed. They don't seem to hold a charge for any length of time if they're not used, and as the Geko is my spare that isn't much use!

So all in all I think NiMh are excellent, and in future I'll be sticking to them rather than NiCads.

Oh, and yes, I carry alkalines for spares as well just in case.

I may have had a change of heart, if it were not that I get all my AA batteries for free. If I had to pay for them, rechargeables may have been the way to go. I ahave a plane spotter friend who always uses rechargeables in his scanners etc. Has about 40 that are kept charged up ready for action.

For NiMH batteries, it's worth getting a good (microprocessor-controlled) charger, which can really do a good job of squeezing every last mAh in there. Cheaper chargers are OK for NiCD batteries, but you will lose quite a lot of the benefit of NiMH.

For alkaline users: if you have friends with digital cameras that run on alkaline batteries, ask them to give you the batteries when the camera says they are "dead". There's usually loads of juice in their for low-current applications (such as most GPSr devices).