Oui, Your Cache Is Dangerous

GatorBruce

Your cache is near a lake and I saw a gator in there once, You should remove it so small children don't get eaten". "Yourt cache is dangerous. I can't climb a tree". "I saw poison Ivy near your cache. You should warn people". Are these people nuts or do they just not have a mind of their own?

Dangerous animals move around. I agree that caches don`t have to be removed because someone saw a dangerous animal nearby. Maybe temporarily disabled if the gator builds its nest on the cache...

You are certainly allowed to place a cache in a tree, but there should be some kind of warning or at least a high terrain rating to reflect that. And if the tree is not strong, some warning to that effect would be nice. I was very annoyed when I arrived at the last waypoint of a multi-cache and realised that the container was up a tree with branches much too weak to support me. Turns out almost everyone who has gotten that cache had brought a kid along for the actual retrieval (seems it`s something you are supposed to know, even if it isnt written anywhere). Would be nice if the cache page had said "you`ll need someone weighting less then 100 pounds to retrieve the cache".

I always appreciate when important information such as "you`ll need help if you are less then 6 feet tall" is on the cache page.

As for the poison ivy complaint, there is a cache attribute to warn people of the presence of poison ivy, it is really such a big effort to use it (if there really is poison ivy near the cache of course)?

Climbing cliffs or trees? Great.

Hiking up a mountain in the middle of nowhere? Awesome.

Crossing a river? Cool.

Generally, I'm all for caches that are challenging and perhaps not entirely safe. As I've indicated in another recent thread, though, there are certain things that I don't like... ie caches with used needles lying around. =| I mean, caching shouldn't always be a walk in the park, but conversely, it should never be a trip to the AIDS clinic. Go ahead and call me a wimp, but that creeps me out a bit.

Edited by Tidalflame

Ok, I've read through most of these and I think I'll just get this off my chest...

I have no problem with difficult/dangerous (after reading these posts it seams the comunity might think these terms are relative) caches. As the saying goes It's all good.... But as a father and someone interested in self preservation, I think its reasonable to ask for some decent documentation so that I have all the information that I need to decide whether I wan't to pursue the cache or whether or not to bring the kids. I don't think that it's too much to ask for the person placing the cache to provide as much information as possible about why it might be dangerous, or require special effort or ability without giving the location away. I'm not saying that you need to cover every possible danger, and adults should use common sense, but I don't see the harm in extending the courtesy of helping other members of the comunity use that common sense and make well informed decisions.

Kurt

I guess that when you look at the question, Is a cache dangerous? You have to put it in perspective. Is it dangerous to walk in the desert? Is it dangerous to drive on the interstate? Is it dangerous to eat chinese food? Is it dangerous to swim in the ocean?

Yes? they can all be dangerous. You have to wiegh the need or enjoyment against the risk or you would never leave the house and would live in a bubble.

When someone places a cache they do not force you to go do look for it. They provide you with the location and what information they have but you are responsible for deciding if you want to do it. When making this desicion you decide if you know how to survive in the area where the cache is. You decide if you have the knowledge and skills to attempt the find. Basically you are responsible for yourself.

Edited by tanisdad
When someone places a cache they do not force you to go do look for it. They provide you with the location and what information they have but you are responsible for deciding if you want to do it.  When making this desicion you decide if you know how to survive in the area where the cache is. You decide if you have the knowledge and skills to attempt the find.  Basically you are responsible for yourself.

That's a pretty oversimplified way of looking at things. If the owner doesn't provide any information on what's required to get to the cache besides nondescript terrain/difficulty ratings, how is anyone supposed to know what they're up against? It is the responsibility of the cache owner to make sure that potential finders have at least some idea of what they're walking into. Obviously nobody's forcing anyone to do something they deem too dangerous, but if you neglect to inform potential finders of the risks involved (I don't mean obvious things like "You could get in a car crash while driving to the cache," use common sense), you're wasting people's time if nothing else. It's just discourteous, in much the same way that misrepresenting the cache type/size/location would be.

Edited by Tidalflame

Do people deliberately ignore the terrain rating, or do they just not know what the four stars mean?

You mean there is terrain ratings ????? :P

Just remember, when dealing with bears and gators;

you don't have to outrun them,

just outrun the person you are with ! :P

I know that a full grown Bear can run some 30 to 35 MPH (up and downhill), has a fair stamina and that it is impossible to outclimb them. Gators probably don't climb well, but how fast do they run and how long do they last when running?

Jan

Having grown up in South Florida I remember hearing that an alligator can keep up with a quarterhourse in the first 1/10th of a mile. Not sure if it is true but haven't ever been chased by one.

:blink: Well, I suppose I may as well put my two cents out here. :P I haven't been caching long, but as of yet no one has forced me to attempt a cache that I didn't want to do. I have actually read the cache description and decided what I consider to be acceptable risks and what are not.

I personally think that an imminent cardiac event in the pursuit of a really good cache beats lounging on the couch watching reruns of "Gilligan's Island" anyday. No pain no Gain. Drive on, Double time, Carry on.... :lol:

I got seriously injured while hunting for a cache outside of Tuscon, AZ last year. The cache was placed on a mountaintop with no trail up. I hiked up alone, didnt take enough water, didnt tell anyone where I would be, and my batteries were screwy. I slipped climbing up and impaled myself on a jumping chola cactus. It does not sound bad, but believe me, I was screwed. I was bleeding pretty bad from both hands and my leg, and I still had to get down! Did I blame this on the cache placer, NO, it was my fault and mine alone. When I pulled up to the parking spot, and looked up, I should have given up right then and there.

When someone places a cache they do not force you to go do look for it. They provide you with the location and what information they have but you are responsible for deciding if you want to do it.  When making this desicion you decide if you know how to survive in the area where the cache is. You decide if you have the knowledge and skills to attempt the find.  Basically you are responsible for yourself.

That's a pretty oversimplified way of looking at things. If the owner doesn't provide any information on what's required to get to the cache besides nondescript terrain/difficulty ratings, how is anyone supposed to know what they're up against? It is the responsibility of the cache owner to make sure that potential finders have at least some idea of what they're walking into. Obviously nobody's forcing anyone to do something they deem too dangerous, but if you neglect to inform potential finders of the risks involved (I don't mean obvious things like "You could get in a car crash while driving to the cache," use common sense), you're wasting people's time if nothing else. It's just discourteous, in much the same way that misrepresenting the cache type/size/location would be.

One thing we can tell you for sure is this....If it is rated 4* for terrain it will not be a walk in the park type of cache.

More than once we have arrived at a cache site and decided we were not properly prepared at the time, and left to try again another day.

We refuse to give away details of our hides because someone feels that they can't be bothered wasting their time getting to a cache site and then not being able to do the cache. Just move on to the next nearest cache and have some fun.

We suggest that before going after a cache that people read the logs and look at the D/T ratings and decide if they would rather skip it and try another, or go see why it is rated the way it is.

Geocaching is like buying a crossword puzzle book. You do the puzzle you like and pass on the rest.

John

... how is anyone supposed to know what they're up against?  It is the responsibility of the cache owner to make sure that potential finders have at least some idea of what they're walking into.

Maybe you aren't supposed to know. In that case it is the cache owners responsibility to make sure not everything is revealed, including through log entries by finders.

For a lot of people it seems to be part of the fun NOT to know what they're up against. Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

Jan

We refuse to give away details of our hides because someone feels that they can't be bothered wasting their time getting to a cache site and then not being able to do the cache. Just move on to the next nearest cache and have some fun.

To what point do you refuse to provide details about your hides? If you had a cache that required a boat to be found, would you put that on the cache page? I'm hardly suggesting that you need to provide exact details about the best route as well as every single possible hazard along the way including heat stroke in summer, hypothermia in winter and a rash from poison ivy plants. Nor do I believe that the hider is always responsible for underprepared finders. I'm merely suggesting that you provide an idea of major hazards specific to your caches - you know, "don't try this if you're not willing to scale a 1000ft cliff" - so that people don't drive to the middle of nowhere only to find that they're unprepared or unwilling to do the cache.

If you honestly think that wasting your time on a cache because the hider didn't provide any details whatsoever about any equipment that might be required to find the cache is "just part of the game," well, you must have a lot more free time than I do.

We just went on a cache search last weekend that ended before we found it.

We are in AL with hot humid weather, walking through tall grass and heading into thick wooded area. All 4 of us (13yob and 7yog included) are only wearing tennis shoes and shorts. We are 250 ft. from cache, when I chicken out because I am paranoid about rattlesnakes or water moccasins. Needless to say, my hubby is pissed off that I would come that close to a cache just to chicken out at the last minute. I assured him I would be happy to return when the weather is milder (and snakes are dormant) and we have long pants and maybe some hiking boots on. And maybe even have a walking stick with us, just in case.

My point is, I would never ask someone to archive a "dangerous" cache, because I was to much of a wuss. It is part of the adventure of geocaching, going to places you would have never thought of before. And yes, I am counting these miserable hot, humid days and hoping we can return to the site again soon to log yet another find.

P.S. My 13yos is highly allergic to poison ivy. He gets it every year from that that is in our own back yard. But, we head out caching anyway. So what if he has to spend a week with his eyes swelled shut! He'll survive and be better for it. HA HA!!

Edited by dyankee1995