Published

Hi Dave, first of all let me welcome you to the addiction. :rolleyes::unsure:

The published feature is a fairly new one, about 2 weeks ago a list of new features came up that mainly premium members can access. One of these features was getting an email when a cache was newly listed. For the email to be generated they also had to have a log that generated it, and that log is a published log. Which can only be done by one of the approvers.

Any caches that were approved before say 2 weeks ago, will not have the published icon on it.

All of this doesn't make any difference to you at the moment, unless you chose to upgrade your membership to premium.

I hope that has helped.

I read on the website forum that it happens automatically, the approver doesn't actually manually create a 'published' note. If that's the case, then you have no option as to whether people are alerted or not.

Maybe there should be some kind of flag when you fill in the new cache form, so that you can choose whether you want alerts to go out for it.

T

The 'Published' Alert is a premium member feature, but it doesn't mean that it's not listed for the rest of us to go and find. It just gives those premium members the advantage of getting an email to tell them about it rather than having to trawl through pages of caches looking for the "New" icon.

Is this 'Published' thing optional? I mean, is it done automatically or could you request a reviewer to approve it but NOT to publish it?

'Fraid not John. It's done automatically as soon as Eckington or I "Press the button". The owner can of course delete the log but it ALWAYS gets generated.

It's part of the mechanism that triggers "Insta Notifications" which are so valuable to FTF hunters.

BTW - Published is the latest term for "Listed" which was the latest term for "Approved". Basically it just means a cache has been reviewed and is now ready for finding.

How as a premium member, do I get the system to register to send me an email when new caches appear ?

From the my account page, click on member features. Further down is a link on insta-notify. You can set them up from there. There should be an easier way to get at this though. Who ever checks that page?

T